Gutted

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Yet another embarrassing thread, 3 years ago we almost got relegated to league 2. This season we finished 4th in the championship. hardly been a failure has it

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yet another embarrassing thread, 3 years ago we almost got relegated to league 2. This season we finished 4th in the championship. hardly been a failure has it

I don't think anyone's denying that it was a good season, more that there is a deafening silence from the club. We have no managerial team and a threadbare squad, the next week or so will be an important time in planning for next season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You'd hope so wouldn't you, but, if what "eeees complicated" is saying is true ( and he has a good track record) then we are not likely to have any word from the club soon !

As far as I can see, the poster mentioned either (a) knows something that Tony Bloom doesn't in this whole episode, or (b) doesn't trust Tony's judgement on how to deal with the managerial situation and do what is best for BHAFC.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Let's say (taking into account varying prices for seniors, kids etc) that the average STH pays £400. £60 of this goes to the travel companies and another £60 to George Osborne for VAT, giving a net £280. It therefore takes 3,571 ST sales to generate £1 million. So an average gate of 26,000 generates £7.3 million.

The wage bill in our first season at Falmer was £14 million, but given the squad improvements is now a conservative £19 million (just over average for this division) in 2012/13.

And that is why we make big losses.

If this is the case and the club is serious about FFP then (I'm going to include depreciation because I'm sensible) in two years time the wage bill needs to have dropped to £13m (simplistic I know). Only two ways that happens 1)we have a weaker team than our last season at Falmer or 2)Players wage demands drop. Is there any indication that 2) is happening/will happen?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Just hope we didn't take a massive gamble on going up this season and now we're in the shit.

The thought wouldn't have crossed my mind a few weeks ago but there just seems to be an odd feeling around the club lately.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
In other words if we don't do well we won't get promoted, right?

I think that (like Gus) some of the crowd will not hang around if we start to go backwards and the novelty wears off. This season was a very mediocre championship and (in my opinion) the best chance we were likely to have to go up. FFP will leave us at a distinct disadvantage compared with those teams with parachute payments.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Assume the shirt sponsorship will help - a little.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Rome wasn't built in a day is a very apt phrase for us at present.

For the last 10+ years leading up to the Amex we've been clearing the surrounding areas of Barbarians looking to take us down.

We're now in the phase of laying slabs, fortifying our strong hold and looking to build up our troop numbers.

So far this has gone very well.

Now we enter the phase were we look to consolidate what we have so that the foundation for future growth of the empire is well constructed and secure.

Once that's in place only then can we look to expand our ideas and conquests.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that (like Gus) some of the crowd will not hang around if we start to go backwards and the novelty wears off. This season was a very mediocre championship and (in my opinion) the best chance we were likely to have to go up. FFP will leave us at a distinct disadvantage compared with those teams with parachute payments.

I agree, but re the parachute payments, if promoted clubs are signing players on 3 year deals, they will need the £15m to honour the contracts unless they can off-load the players in question. Obviously Wolves find themselves in this position and the money wasn't much help to Portsmouth either.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That being the case in the immediate future why did Gus promote the Academy idea or was it not his idea in the first place.

That's a TB investment - and a vital one - but we're years off seeing the benefit of it. Gus was merely consulted about it. I'm sure a lot of other people were too.

Chin up people

next season, for the first time ever playing in a lower league, we are going to have a larger average home crowd than Palace . :lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If this is the case and the club is serious about FFP then (I'm going to include depreciation because I'm sensible) in two years time the wage bill needs to have dropped to £13m (simplistic I know). Only two ways that happens 1)we have a weaker team than our last season at Falmer or 2)Players wage demands drop. Is there any indication that 2) is happening/will happen?

The wage bill includes all people employed by the club, not just players.

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
Rome wasn't built in a day is a very apt phrase for us at present...

Top post sir. As frustrating as the end of last season was, I think we all need to temper our expectations a little. Let's enjoy the ride.. It's just a little turbulent right now.

It seems the majority of BHA fans have sided with Bloom as Gus unfortunately played the wrong card insinuating he needs more money. Gus should know the dark days / history of our club and if he wanted the fans onside, he should have tried a little harder to remember what *almost* happened to us. If his ambition is too big for that then sadly for us he is (was?!) at the wrong club.

I am convinced Bloom will not have - and never will - put us in a position where finances are out of control.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Top post sir. As frustrating as the end of last season was, I think we all need to temper our expectations a little. Let's
I am convinced Bloom will not have - and never will - put us in a position where finances are out of control.

That's already happened when Ken Brown was instantly dismissed, although to be fair, Brown wasn't a Bloom appointment.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Lets assume we're not hugely overstaffed and that we don't have any non playing staff on £20 000 a week (except poss Barber :)).

On a wages budget of 14m a year, we shouldn't have anyone on anything like 20k a week.

If, for example, Wayne Bridge came to us on a fifth of his current weekly wage, that's 1/14th of our entire wage budget gone on one player (assuming the budget next year is the same as this). So I guess we should not be surprised if there are ructions in the camp re the budget and unless Wayne Bridge wants to play for us at 5k a week, we should not expect to see his like again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports