Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gustavo Poyet

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Poyet just put himself out of the running saying he doesn't want to manage in League 1.

Someone thinks his stock is higher than it is imo...
He didn't want to manage in league 1 before he came to us either.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yeah, that's very fair. Does it compare unfavourably with what he inherited with yourselves when appointed though?

His strength for me always seemed to be in his coaching. In his time with us he got technically limited players like Phil Bardsley, Lee Cattermole and John O'Shea playing in a way not many would have dreamt possible. I'd be reasonably confident that we've got enough players of reasonable ability that he could have a decent crack at implementing his style.

Well, he replaced Russell Slade, who in turn replaced Micky Adams and neither of those built a squad for the type of football he played and he turned a lot of those players into excellent ones. He did manage to get his acquisitions right though. Ankergren, Lua Lua, Greer, Calderon, Sparrow, Painter, Bridcutt etc all completely changed the playing style.

If he gets the chance to bring in a couple of known players that buy in to him, you'll get somewhere quickly.

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
To answer your question I can't really think of youth he brought through. He was better at getting exceptional older players to come to us and then be magnificent (Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge, Bruno, Vicente - ok only in flashes), he could certainly attract a player.

Thanks. Was it a case that he favoured those players over decent youth prospects as he trusted them more or were there just no exceptional youth lads coming through?

I think it's key for the future of our Academy that we demonstrate there's a pathway to the first team. It's the only selling point we have whilst in the lower leagues. We've already had our golden generation (11 players) picked off by Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool and Leeds. It's obviously difficult to fend off interest from those clubs regardless of what league you're in but several of the lads parents have gone on record to say they would have stayed if they'd seen some hope of first team involvement.
The exception to that is Dan Neil who, at 18, turned down approaches from Wolves, Newcastle and Leeds Academies because he was training with the first team. Subsequently he's had zero involvement in the matchday squad under Parkinson.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
He's been out of the English game for so long I would be concerned he might need a while to catch up, League 1 is a step up from the Chinese leagues plus he has not been managing any club since 2018 and he has a habit of flouncing off when his egotistical nature gets the better of him.

Having said that at his best he can be fantastic and has a proven history getting out of league 1his style of football is progressive and he can get performances out of what were ordinary players that others cannot, he's also entertaining with his match comments which can be funny and never dull.

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
Poyet just put himself out of the running saying he doesn't want to manage in League 1.

Someone thinks his stock is higher than it is imo...

Ah damn it!! Told you typing all that out would come back to kick me in the bollocks. I do think his stock is higher than L1 mind, it would have been a coup.

Oh well, as you were....

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yeah, that's very fair. Does it compare unfavourably with what he inherited with yourselves when appointed though?

His strength for me always seemed to be in his coaching. In his time with us he got technically limited players like Phil Bardsley, Lee Cattermole and John O'Shea playing in a way not many would have dreamt possible. I'd be reasonably confident that we've got enough players of reasonable ability that he could have a decent crack at implementing his style.

Well, he replaced Russell Slade, who in turn replaced Micky Adams and neither of those built a squad for the type of football he played and he turned a lot of those players into excellent ones. He did manage to get his acquisitions right though. Ankergren, Lua Lua, Greer, Calderon, Sparrow, Painter, Bridcutt etc all completely changed the playing style.

If he gets the chance to bring in a couple of known players that buy in to him, you'll get somewhere quickly.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I understand all Div 1 clubs have the same salary cap. On that basis wouldnt touch Poyet. Mighty tough on Sunderland with gates of 30k having same salary cap as clubs with 3/4k gates

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
To answer your question I can't really think of youth he brought through. He was better at getting exceptional older players to come to us and then be magnificent (Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge, Bruno, Vicente - ok only in flashes), he could certainly attract a player.

There was a bloke called Lewis Dunk who got a couple of games. Whatever happened to him?

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
Thanks for the civility on here. A bit of a novelty on footy forums. All the best for the rest of the season and beyond.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
If this happens, it will make the next series of Sunderland Til I Die a must see! (the first two series were excellent)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
1/10 favourite and with bookies suspending odds on Poyet, he tells Sky Sports he's not interested in returning to Sunderland.

Does this smack of having failed the job interview?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
We started playing football I'd never seen us play, and bringing in real quality players. Personally, I love the man even though it ended on a sour note with us. Obviously it's a lot of whataboutary, but I don't think we would be where we are now if he hadn't come in and taken us to the next level not only in terms of which league we play in but the playing philosophy too.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1/10 favourite and with bookies suspending odds on Poyet, he tells Sky Sports he's not interested in returning to Sunderland.

Does this smack of having failed the job interview?
Not a high enough ceiling.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

In retrospect, given that this was in the days before we were a Category One academy, I think Poyet had a pretty decent record of giving opportunities to younger prospects (although the lower down the pyramid you are playing, the easier that is to do). He gave Lewis Dunk his debut, as he did with goalkeeper Mitch Walker, George Barker, Grant Hall and Yaser Kasim. He named Jake Forster-Caskey on the bench for a league match shortly after his 16th birthday, and while he was still an U-16 schoolboy, and a few days later made him Albion's youngest-ever first-team player. Solly March was included in match-day squads.

I think that is a pretty decent record, in the grand scheme of things, [MENTION=41902]Culinary[/MENTION]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You know when you're listening to a manager being interviewed, and you start daydreaming, as all you ever hear are meaningless platitudes?

You won't be getting that. Every word he says reveals something fascinating.

I loved the bloke personally. One of our best ever managers

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Your football will be eye catching but sleep inducing, the media will be on board with his swash buckling interviews...a bit like the crew of the bounty and the players diets will change. There will be no humble pie being served.
I loved the journey he took us on, wouldn't change a thing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here