Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gustavo Poyet

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
would love to see a series of Sunderland till I die with him in it

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think Poyet got the best out of some of our players at that time, and I've always thought that was one of his strengths. There were a couple of players that I thought were lucky not be released by the club prior to Poyet's arrival, but they then totally turned themselves around and went on to be really steady performers. I think that gets harder to achieve as you go up the leagues as money starts levelling the playing field. I would expect Poyet to be a very good appointment in league one, especially for a club of Sunderland's stature.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
He was a blast at the Seagulls over London meeting I went to, really good at handling social situations like that, and answering direct questions as best he can, he seemed to know how to get the team playing good football and got an average bunch playing very well. He wants as much control of things as he can so I don't see it working well with clubs that employ director of football roles and the like. This all comes at a cost though, he doesn't treat those well who are on the fringes and seems to have the knack of pissing people off. Quite how he went from hero to getting suspended and then fired I still find incredible. In summary, he seems to me to be a good fit for a short to medium-term boost, just don't expect him to still be there in 2 years time!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Before his ego ran away with him he had us playing the best football I’ve seen from an Albion team. Has been bettered by Potter but the season we won the League 1 title is up there with the promotion to the PL as my favourite ever season for enjoyable football

“We’re ****ing brilliant” covers it.

I think he’ll do really well for you as long as you let him run the show. If not it will end in tears, as it always does with Gus in the end.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gus' biggest mistake was not leaving for Reading immediately after the St Patrick's Day massacre.

It would have avoided the miserable end game.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Someone please post that photo of GP grinning like a Cheshire cat in the dugout at Charlton that made NSC Gold on here, but now seems to be nowhere on the Net.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not happening apparently

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He wasn’t great at bringing through youngsters from our academy. Is that because the players weren’t there though? The exception would be a Lewis Dunk and he took an opportunity due to injuries.

Other young players like Tommy Elphick and Steve Cook had to move on to get games. To be fair to Gus, the alternatives to those two (Greer, Upson etc) were strong.

He did bring in young players from other clubs like Liam Brudcutt, Glenn Murray, Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes, all of whom prospered under him. He also transformed Adam El Abd.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We started playing football I'd never seen us play, and bringing in real quality players. Personally, I love the man even though it ended on a sour note with us. Obviously it's a lot of whataboutary, but I don't think we would be where we are now if he hadn't come in and taken us to the next level not only in terms of which league we play in but the playing philosophy too.

This.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
He wasn’t great at bringing through youngsters from our academy. Is that because the players weren’t there though? The exception would be a Lewis Dunk and he took an opportunity due to injuries.

Other young players like Tommy Elphick and Steve Cook had to move on to get games. To be fair to Gus, the alternatives to those two (Greer, Upson etc) were strong.

He did bring in young players from other clubs like Liam Brudcutt, Glenn Murray, Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes, all of whom prospered under him. He also transformed Adam El Abd.

glenn murray had already been at brighton for a few years

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The Premier League quality front three of Murray, Wood & Barnes certainly made scoring easy in League One whatever Manager or tactics were employed.

Such a shame that Poyet’s eyes were actually on the goal scoring escapades of Peterborough at the time as his decision making handed Palace our best player alongside Premier League promotion. Put us back 3 years or so but maybe for the best.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
https://youtu.be/o0TRh4xrSYI

If no one has posted that, well they bloody should have done.

Still the most excited I’ve ever been... we blew the buggers away that night. Gus remains my favorite Albion manager, in spite of everything... when he joined, well, it felt HUGE! Brilliant times, brilliant football... loved it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Most of the players seemed to absolutely love him.

He didn't bring a lot of youth through, Lewis Dunk was about the only one that I can think of. Although he didn't appear to have a problem working with younger players - he bought a 19 or 20 year old Ashley Barnes from Plymouth's reserves and played him week in week out, Tommy Elphick played a lot for us and he was fairly young at the time(i think), he bought a 20/21 year old Elliot Bennett from Wolves reserves and made him a key player, he got a teenaged Chris Wood on loan for most of the season and I don't think Liam Bridcutt was very old either.

He mixed them in with the solid pro's who were already there and a few older players(Kishichev in league 1, Bruno, Upson, Bridge, Vicente in the championship) and made a dynamite team. Or so I'm told. I never got to see them in the flesh.:tantrum:

Bennett was already here when Poyet arrived.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He was a blast at the Seagulls over London meeting I went to, really good at handling social situations like that, and answering direct questions as best he can, he seemed to know how to get the team playing good football and got an average bunch playing very well. He wants as much control of things as he can so I don't see it working well with clubs that employ director of football roles and the like. This all comes at a cost though, he doesn't treat those well who are on the fringes and seems to have the knack of pissing people off. Quite how he went from hero to getting suspended and then fired I still find incredible. In summary, he seems to me to be a good fit for a short to medium-term boost, just don't expect him to still be there in 2 years time!

This is Sunderland. If he is still there in 6 months he will have done well.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was at that meeting and quickly went off him after that. Arrogant and disrespectful.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is Sunderland. If he is still there in 6 months he will have done well.

They are quite patient with their managers. Parkinson & Ross both managed the team over a year despite failing to meet expectations. Grayson got sacked when the freshly relegated team were in 23rd place after 16 games or something and Coleman got the job for the rest of the season despite things still going shit. In a lot of clubs the trigger would have been pulled earlier in all of these cases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here