Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

" Gus " why not " Poyet " now ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If Gus had had a comparative budget.

He did.

Of course, Mullery spent a lot on Teddy Maybank, too much it can be argued, although that was comparable with Poyet's CMS signing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I do appreciate what he achieved but wouldn't class it as brilliant.
How does it compare with Paul Lambert taking Norwich straight through two divisions and then consolidating in the PL. Thats pretty damn impressive. Nigel Adkins got Saints straight through as well after the ' ten point deduction ' season. Poyet's feat was to turn us around so quickly, from Div 1 strugglers.
Maybe its a case of expectation. Norwich and Soton expected and demanded PL football. A lot of our fans seem happy with Championship football and therefore to consolidate in the upper reaches, represents high achievement in their eyes.
Each to their own.

Although I appreciate and agree with what you are saying, when Gus took over, we were in a 7k capacity athletics stadium. Norwich and Saints were both in stadia and with a set-up (certainly Saints) which was there fore premiership football. Gus had the background of the building of a stadium and the planning for the training Ground all going on as well.

And let those who want to call him Gus call him Gus, and those who want to call him Poyet call him Poyet. I don't care.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He did.

Of course, Mullery spent a lot on Teddy Maybank, too much it can be argued, although that was comparable with Poyet's CMS signing.

My memory is a little fuzzy on amounts and maybe even who actually signed them, some may have been signed by Taylor

Lawrenson
Foster
Micky ****ing Thomas
Horton
Poskett
Sayer

And probably a few more, I do remembered that we signed some very good players during Mullery's time and he also inherited a decent squad that had just missed out on promotion from the third the previous season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My memory is a little fuzzy on amounts and maybe even who actually signed them, some may have been signed by Taylor

Lawrenson
Foster
Micky ****ing Thomas
Horton
Poskett
Sayer

And probably a few more, I do remembered that we signed some very good players during Mullery's time and he also inherited a decent squad that had just missed out on promotion from the third the previous season.

Mickey Thomas, the waste of space, was signed by Mike Bailey....

As covered in a previous thread, here is Mullery's transfer record up to the point Brighton won promotion to the First Division:

In
Steele £19,000
Lawrenson £112,000
Ruggiero £30,000
Potts £14,000
Williams swop
Clark £30,000
Maybank £238,000
Poskett £60,000
Sayer £100,000
Ryan £80,000
Chivers £15,000

Total: £700,000

Out
Beal free
Kinnear free
Morgan £15,000
Cross Swop
Wilson Swop
Binney Free
Towner £65,000
Ruggiero Free
Potts £37,000
Mellor £30,000
Fell Swop

Total 147,000

A deficit of about £500,000 in the late 1970s to get a side from the Third Division to First Division seems a reasonable figure, not particularly extravagant, although clearly a lot more than Pat Saward had to play with earlier on in the decade.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mickey Thomas, the waste of space, was signed by Mike Bailey....

As covered in a previous thread, here is Mullery's transfer record up to the point Brighton won promotion to the First Division:

In
Steele £19,000
Lawrenson £112,000
Ruggiero £30,000
Potts £14,000
Williams swop
Clark £30,000
Maybank £238,000
Poskett £60,000
Sayer £100,000
Ryan £80,000
Chivers £15,000

Total: £700,000

Out
Beal free
Kinnear free
Morgan £15,000
Cross Swop
Wilson Swop
Binney Free
Towner £65,000
Ruggiero Free
Potts £37,000
Mellor £30,000
Fell Swop

Total 147,000

Anyone know how that compared to the other teams in the division?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would ask you to go and find them, but someone as obsessed and gullible as you are would probably go and do that.

Gullible? Not me. Suggest you back that claim up...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone know how that compared to the other teams in the division?

I know that we were reasonably big spenders,I'd be interested to know what a match ticket price was back then, the crowds were very similar to what we have now I seem to think? I can't help thinking that we were in a better position to go out and buy players back then but it is difficult to even guess our income back then compared to now. What is a fact is that chasing the dream helped in our later demise, it seems that history will not be repeated on that front.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Never thought of this before, not sure whether it is affection as I call Steve Coppell, Coppell although I did like him, maybe it’s because Steve is too vague or maybe I subconsciously just can’t forgive his Palace past , for reference I refer to our recent previous managers as Gus, Salde, Micky, Magoo, Coppell, Hinsh and Judas C*nt!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I know that we were reasonably big spenders,I'd be interested to know what a match ticket price was back then, the crowds were very similar to what we have now I seem to think? I can't help thinking that we were in a better position to go out and buy players back then but it is difficult to even guess our income back then compared to now. What is a fact is that chasing the dream helped in our later demise, it seems that history will not be repeated on that front.

My guess is that the money that Albion were spending to get from the Third Division to the First was not exactly breaking the bank given the high attendances at the Goldstone Ground and the financial backing from the likes of Keith Wickenden, as well as the commercial and promotions work of Pavey and Millard, such as in lotteries, which generated more income than Arsenal at the time of the late 1970s.

What was not foreseen was how much crowds would fall once the buzz of First Division football died down. The club spent over £800,000 in that first season, reasonably guessing that they'd recoup that through top flight gate receipts. However, it is 1980/81 when the real problems occurred. Improved deals for players who proved themselves in the top flight, plus over £1.5m was spent on Robinson, Ritchie and Smith (not all of which was recouped in sales), but attendances really dropped off. That eventually forced the Lawrenson sale.

Even so, it could be reasonably suggested that it was not in 1976 to 1979 when we were spending beyond our means. Mullery only made five signings above £50,000 up to that end of that point.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gullible? Not me. Suggest you back that claim up...

Many people on here get told many stories by many people from the club, some of which flatly contradict each other. In order to get a fuller picture, you need different sources, learn how to sort through the white noise, the bullsh*t, the agendas, work out what is likely to be true and likely to be nonsense, dismissing your own agenda in the process.

You've been told a part of a story by one person with a vested interest, and swallowed it whole - uncorroborated and unchallenged - and broadcast it as you knowing 'enough'.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Arguably you could say the real hero was Bamber and not Mullery.

Quite right. Would have Mullers been able to achieve what he achieved without Mike Bamber's open cheque book? For the last manager to achieve promotion without spending big money we have to go right the way back to Billy Lane in the 1950's. I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned him yet, although l guess not many were around in his day.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Quite right. Would have Mullers been able to achieve what he achieved without Mike Bamber's open cheque book? For the last manager to achieve promotion without spending big money we have to go right the way back to Billy Lane in the 1950's. I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned him yet, although l guess not many were around in his day.

Pat Saward didn't exactly break the bank in 1971/72.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You've been told a part of a story by one person with a vested interest, and swallowed it whole - uncorroborated and unchallenged - and broadcast it as you knowing 'enough'.

Thank goodness he isn't a detective.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
True, both Pat Saward and more recently Mark McGhee did well without splashing the cash, but neither were as successful over as long a period of time as Billy Lane.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Fair point re Billy Lane. Had to cope with Div 3 South, where only one team got promoted every season. Finally got us up in 58 and then had 4 seasons in Div 2 ( now Championship ) before the wheels started to come off.
Although he is before my time, I have considered Lane and would probably put him 3rd in an all-time list. Got a feeling he took charge in 1946, so there are no arguments re longevity. The only negative you could introduce is that one promotion in 16 years is nothing special but again, it was hellishly difficult to get out of Div 3 South.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here