Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

" Gus " why not " Poyet " now ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, inarguable was a bit strong. But the facts, as laid out above speak for themselves. Gus did NOT achieve what Mullery did.

Nor did Mullery achieve the style of football Gus did. I can understand why many see Mullery as the best ever, he was before my time so I can't say either way. In my lifetime, Gus is comfortably the best. I'm hopeful Oscar will surpass him though.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Why do some of us still still say " Gus " when talking about the ex manager as if hes a friend or something ? why not " Poyet " now ? just asking

Because a lot of fans don't know how to pronounce Poyet. :jester:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To muddy the 'best manager' waters a bit, here are win records:

Managers_zps5f325c5e.jpg

win % > draw % > "points per game"
(points given to cup games for simplicity, penalty shoot outs recorded as draws).

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'll probably call him Gus until he joins another club and other fans take his moniker with him, i presume.
At present he's in no-one else's heart but ours, the memories of him untainted by new garb and identity. Once he lives again as a manager for someone or other, there'll be a twang in my insides at least for his sudden donning of a new uniform, the merest feeling of slight betrayal, but then i'll let him go in full, as he will then us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The fact you use the phrase 'Gus lovers' (as if your pejorative use of it has any value) screams your disdain for what one person told you.

And my disdain for the blind faith in Gus.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nor did Mullery achieve the style of football Gus did. I can understand why many see Mullery as the best ever, he was before my time so I can't say either way. In my lifetime, Gus is comfortably the best. I'm hopeful Oscar will surpass him though.

Amen to that last bit. The football under Mullers was very good/entertaining on the way up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Gus had had a comparative budget, for the time, that Mullery had he'd more than likely have done better than Mullery in the long run IMO.

Gus changed our style and even though he had to go nothing should detract from what he did for the style of football at this club. I'd love to have seen how far he'd have taken us with a budget to fit his ambition. He was a complete dick with his touting though.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If Gus had had a comparative budget, for the time, that Mullery had he'd more than likely have done better than Mullery in the long run IMO.

Gus changed our style and even though he had to go nothing should detract from what he did for the style of football at this club. I'd love to have seen how far he'd have taken us with a budget to fit his ambition. He was a complete dick with his touting though.

I disagree, it was Bloom who demanded the passing game style, Poyet was just chosen to implement it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Conjecture. Pure conjecture. And we'll never know. Facts is facts.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Does anyone have that?

No, you've only convinced yourself of that, and wish to impart your supposed wisdom upon them.

SOME of the ridiculous posts in support of Gus suggest otherwise.

No...that accolade goes to Alan Mullery. Div 3 to Div 1, followed by survival at the highest level.
Poyet comes high on the list but you have to weigh up so many different factors with other managers. Russell Slade's miraculous rescue act. Likewise Steve Gritt in 97. McGhee's efforts in keeping us in the Championship at Withdean, against the odds.
Overall, I'd probably place Poyet second behind Mullery. It was a very good job of steady improvement tarnished by the final few weeks when he allowed himself to get distracted by personal ambition and external issues and failed to concentrate fully on the work in hand.
Its irrelevant whether its Gus or Poyet. Its what he achieved and the legacy he left behind.
Most of the better managers in history have been referred to by surname...its a mark of respect...Shankly, Busby, Revie, Ramsey, Cloughie, Fergie, Mourinho etc.

Sums it up nicely, now can we please move on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
so if mullery had quit when we had just failed to gain promotion what would his figures be?

EDIT: Misread. This is if he had quit just after we won promotion

Played 127
Win 65 ... 51.18%
Draw 35 ... 27.56%
Loss 27 ... 21.26%
"Points" 230
"Points per game" 1.81

Putting him third between Peter Taylor (former England Manager) and Mickey Adams's first reign.

EDIT2:

Just after we'd failed to win promotion:

Played 80
Win 39 ... 48.75%
Draw 25 ... 31.25%
Loss 16 ... 20.00%
"points" 142
"points per game" 1.78

Which would put him in the same place.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
so if mullery had quit when we had just failed to gain promotion what would his figures be?

Surely the stats after the 1978/79 season are more relevant? Third full season in charge, just like Poyet after the 2012/13 campaign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here