Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Swindon?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our style is better than Real Madrid, Barcelona , AC Milan, Bryan Munich, have I missed something? Poyets football was boring, negative! 10 steps back, sideways and back and 1 step forward. Played not to lose. Yeah you're right, bloody great football. NOT!

Nobody is comparing us to those 4 who are probably in the top 6 or 8 clubs in the world so it is ridiculous to compare us to them while we are in The Championship but having supported the team since 1946 I can honestly say I have never seen us play better football. It is a very close thing with last season against the Mullery side that got into 1st Div but I think last season displays shade it for me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nobody is comparing us to those 4 who are probably in the top 6 or 8 clubs in the world so it is ridiculous to compare us to them while we are in The Championship but having supported the team since 1946 I can honestly say I have never seen us play better football. It is a very close thing with last season against the Mullery side that got into 1st Div but I think last season displays shade it for me.

Don't feed the troll.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Our style is better than Real Madrid, Barcelona , AC Milan, Bryan Munich, have I missed something? Poyets football was boring, negative! 10 steps back, sideways and back and 1 step forward. Played not to lose. Yeah you're right, bloody great football. NOT!

Just a question, how can you get so angry over a debate regarding Gus. The venom you spit out is just about the worst I've seen on here. It's not healthy mate, seriously.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Poyet was FANTASTIC for this club. Overall one of the best things that has happened to us but his constant touting was tedious, irritating and totally disrespectful to his employers. He made mistakes, but we were his first management job so that is to be expected and he often seemed more concerned about not losing rather than winning but his legacy is indisputable imo. Anyone who thinks he was shit is totally clueless about modern football.
Sensible post...about sums it up for me...it's not that he wanted to better himself...most people do...it was the way he went about it...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just a question, how can you get so angry over a debate regarding Gus. The venom you spit out is just about the worst I've seen on here. It's not healthy mate, seriously.

he/she is another one who turned up about the time of the semi final loss
there are a few who did and nearly all have this hatred of Gus
and they can say what they want about him ,but he got us to 4th the highest for 30years
maybe it was that loss against Palace who knows but most have now got over that and moving on
some can and obviously some can't

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Most teams have hit the ceiling apart from the top 4 in each country so that rules Gus Poyet out in all jobs.

Eh!? We certainly haven't

Aug 23, 2011

Well I've got some bad news for you, Oscar is going to have the team playing in a similar style which is why he got the job.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus as a manager - great. Brilliant football apart from over-defensive approach. Hopefully OG will tweak that drawback.

Gus and the press - awful. Self-serving self-centred egotistical unappreciative clown.

Given his mouth, I hope he ends up at Swindon or similar, but his ego will veto any move like this I expect.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Now look here young lady thats a very dangerous thing to do. They don't grow on trees ya know.

tree-sexy-wood-05.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was wondering earlier just now if both Gus and the club misread the situation earlier in the season and both parties had tried to upstage each other leading to a ridiculous fallout?

Did the club think he was going to ditch us so rightly lined up a replacement whilst Gus regularly advertising his brilliance to other clubs realised he was on to a good thing and wanted to stay! By then both had gone too far to turn back!

I very much doubt it but if that is the scenario, GP is still the one that has thrown it all away.

It puzzles me why fans fall over themselves to state 'they never liked him anyway and want him to fail'. It was good while it lasted, and it lasted double the length of average time for a manager at any given club. It was time for the parting of the ways, but I wish him all the best for the future and look back with pleasure at how far he brought us. Time to move on.

GP was good for the club but my disappointment is the way it has ended. I can't think of any previous manager that has made it so clear that we are a stepping stone and has seemingly actively sought a better position elsewhere and I have been following the Albion since the days of the first Peter Taylor. Yes, I'm fully aware every manager does use us a stepping stone, just as Zola sees Watford as a stepping stone but you don't hear him banging on about managing Chelsea or Leeds or the like.

We have never prior to Poyet been regarded as one of the best examples of a footballing side but we are now so yes he did change our style and approach to the game despite what some wish to say now. Had he said after the play off game I shall get us automatic next season he would still be held up as a hero and god but for whatever reason, best known to himself he chose not to and is now getting stick but it is still totally wrong to say he was or is shit as a manager. Perhaps not as good as he thinks but not shit.

The only things that lower his status as a good manager are a)the fact he couldn't change the team/tactics to win when going behind apart from once and b) his comments to the press whether that be about Suarez or other jobs.

I would add that everyone seems to think that Poyet is/was the only manager that could have changed the style of the team.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well I've got some bad news for you, Oscar is going to have the team playing in a similar style which is why he got the job.

Right from the youngsters, through the development squad to the first team squad, the coaches have the same training methods. This was put in place whilst Gus was manager and is based on the Spanish style of teams like Barca. Oscar has stated that this will continue but the ball will get up the pitch quicker.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Soulman;5823332 Oscar has stated that this will continue but the ball will get up the pitch quicker.[/QUOTE said:
A sentence to get any Albion fan drooling?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
A sentence to get any Albion fan drooling?

Apparently right through the club the players are happy. Although the new training ground is not due to be complete until the summer next year the pitches may be ready sooner and i believe the squads will be able to train on them. I think next season 2014/2015 will be a great season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here