Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus threatens to walk out.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'll go along with that although I wonder how many of his so called gaffes are down to English being his second language ???

Read the quote that caused so much of a stir:-

“We talked about a position the other day and considered four players."
“I picked two. It was simple."
“One of the other two was a definite no. If that one is coming, I won’t be here.”

Read it with a belligerent tone and it looks like a challenge and a threat - read it in a light-hearted way and it is the sort of comment anyone could make when presented with a choice. I do accept though that it is not something that needs to be repeated in public even though he may have said it with a smile on his face.

I wonder how many of those calling GP out on this statement agree with his sentiments though - i.e. "don't buy that player I don't want him in my team" - difficult to argue that he shouldn't make clear to his DoF his views on a particular player.

I agree it depends on how it is read, and it could be taken in jest, but I couldn’t imagine Oscar saying that after six weeks if ever at all, even jokingly.

By what he said about his definate no and "if that one is coming I wont be here", it undermines the person who supplied the list. It's almost like saying your an idiot if you think he is any good.

He could have said I really like two out of the list of four choices presented to me.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And so the story begins ... how many more thinly disguised pops will he have at his employers before the end of the season ... My guess would be if they start to stare relegation in the face they will greatly increase

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Surely "Player Recruitment" is something you'd have addressed at interview, wouldn't you?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Surely "Player Recruitment" is something you'd have addressed at interview, wouldn't you?

You would have thought so wouldn't you. Below is what he said when he got the job.

Gus Poyet happy to work with Roberto De Fanti at Sunderland

Gus Poyet has claimed he will benefit from working with a director of football and has no reservations over Roberto De Fanti's input at Sunderland.................

The Guardian Wednesday 9 October ........more......

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
You would have thought so wouldn't you. Below is what he said when he got the job.

Gus Poyet happy to work with Roberto De Fanti at Sunderland

Gus Poyet has claimed he will benefit from working with a director of football and has no reservations over Roberto De Fanti's input at Sunderland.................

The Guardian Wednesday 9 October ........more......

Cross post - but as I asked ^^^^ - there is nothing to suggest the method of working wasn't discussed prior to employment.

Seems to be working well - De Fanti comes up with four players, GP likes two, ok with one and doesn't like the forth one. What's the problem?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Read the quote that caused so much of a stir:-

“We talked about a position the other day and considered four players."
“I picked two. It was simple."
“One of the other two was a definite no. If that one is coming, I won’t be here.”

Read it with a belligerent tone and it looks like a challenge and a threat - read it in a light-hearted way and it is the sort of comment anyone could make when presented with a choice.
Far too sensible.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Perhaps not publicly, but we do not know what has been promised and what is being delivered.

Poyet is a sophisticated manager, maybe he lacks that English reserve we all feel comfortable with, but it might be his way of upping the ante, to force his point.

We cannot be sure whats gone on, but whatever his way of doing things, he will only be deemed successful by winning football matches and if he thinks this might offer a better opportunity to do that then maybe its a shrewd move.

Why do you think Poyet is a sophisticated manager?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Would you have him back ? go on you would wouldnt yer :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps he has already exhausted those talks and wants to get a lead in negotiations, it seems he is playing hardball.

Trouble is, he's not very good at it though, eh? There's a time and a place to threaten to flounce, and GP uses that threat far too readily to be taken seriously.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There is no doubt in my mind that when it comes to football Gus is excellent, but managing a top football team needs a little more than being good at organising and motivating a team, and the moment he steps off the training pitch he is a complete liability.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You don't get it do you?

Yes, he wants the final say in who joins Sunderland and rightly so. His big problem is that he just doesn't know when to shut his gob or rather when it's best to not open it in public in the first place. These types of discussions/disclosures should be done in private-not out in the media. If there is no way forward then maybe it's time for it to become public, not 5 weeks into his stint as manager.

Still, let's suck up to Poyet again shall we? :ffsparr:

Seems like the anti Gus feelings of some on here are affecting their stance over this, if a manager who had no connection to the club had done this, they wouldn't get this sort of reply

The manager has spoken out to ensure that things are not done against his wishes as he has to work with the new signings. Maybe he felt he had to do it this way because there was the chance they would still sign the player or players he didn't want despite previous agreements. It's his job & future on the line after all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here