Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus soon to be 6th (was 7th) (was 8th) (was 9th) (was: 10th!!)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Gus soon to be 8th (was 9th) (was: 10th!!)

I can't see Martinez being sacked in a million years. He might leave to go to a bigger club, but Wigan surely know they will never get better than him?

Martinez to Wigan :D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why wouldn't he? There aren't many places in European football that's not a step down from Barcelona. Man Utd is one of those places, along with his new employers, the milans and Juventus. What makes you think Guardiola wouldn't have considered it?

The primary reason he choose Bayern was, according to the press I read, the fact Bayern have an excellent youth academy which regularly produces international class players plus the financial might to sprinkle this with bought in talent. This is similar to how he did things at Barca. Do Man U still have such a system in place? Bayern have 5 youth teamers in their current first 11. Do Man U? Money clearly isn't his main concern as he'd have gone elsewhere. So I believe this version of events and don't feel Man U would tick all his boxes.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The primary reason he choose Bayern was, according to the press I read, the fact Bayern have an excellent youth academy which regularly produces international class players plus the financial might to sprinkle this with bought in talent. This is similar to how he did things at Barca. Do Man U still have such a system in place? Bayern have 5 youth teamers in their current first 11. Do Man U? Money clearly isn't his main concern as he'd have gone elsewhere. So I believe this version of events and don't feel Man U would tick all his boxes.

That's interesting, I hadn't read that. I think Man Utd probably do still have an effective youth system- Wellbeck, Cleverly, Fletcher, Evans are all regular players, as well as Scholes and Giggs. Ferguson's teams have always(well from the mid 90's at least...) had a strong sprinkling of youth team players in it and the squad.

Whether their youth set up is as good as Bayern's I have no idea. Who are the five youth teamers? Are they all of the same generation a la Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, the Nevilles, Butt or are they spread out over several youth teams?

Personally I'd have liked Guardiola to take on a more challenging job than Bayern(or Utd). It would have been interesting to see him pitch up at a smaller team and see what he could do with them.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Now 8th!
Could be 7th if/when Martinez leaves Wigan (for Everton I reckon)
Then 6th if Pulis leaves Stoke in the summer.

Crazy :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I the only one who thinks it seems like only yesterday we were playing Southampton, in Gus' first game.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Moyes/Ferg don't leave jobs until end of June, so 10th might be as high as Poyet gets.

(Also, I bet £10 that he doesn't last as long in his next job...)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's incredible to think that in the last few days 5 out of the Top 11 Longest Serving Managers have managed their last at their clubs (SAF, Moyes, Mancini, Jackett, Poyet) and it's very likely a 6th in Martinez will also leave.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Managers and players all leave, eventually. I never expected gus to be here forever, just as I don't expect any player to be with us forever. So this is the most disappointing thing about all this for me, I liked having a long serving manager and seeing him move up the list. Now that's likely to end.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Managers and players all leave, eventually. I never expected gus to be here forever, just as I don't expect any player to be with us forever. So this is the most disappointing thing about all this for me, I liked having a long serving manager and seeing him move up the list. Now that's likely to end.

This indeed. But hopefully the next manager will have good reason to stay longer and reach the top five.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
I'm gutted I thought he was going to make it into the top 5

he had a marvellous, and very unique opportunity - such a shame that he blew he chance to take us onwards and upwards and develop the academy at the new training ground

do hope all those who manage and look after the scholars and the development squad are doing their jobs well - all this nonsense must have shaken them to the core too

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Still hanging on to 8th at the moment!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Only 19 managers in the entire Football League pyramid (the 92) that have been in their current job for 2 years or more. A sign of the times.

Loyalty is almost invisible in modern day football. Gus has actually been one of the most loyal managers in the football league.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
7th now - although, as I said, Moyes/Ferg are technically in their jobs until end of June.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Don't know if it's been covered elsewhere, but who was the last manager before Fergie to achieve 27 (or more) seasons?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Pulis has gone now, so Gus is technically 6th longest serving manager???
Edit: 7th

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
South American temperament, be gone by tomorrow/next week/month/in a few hours.

Lots of people made to look very stupid on here yet again. Gus ALWAYS talks long term with us, and the things he tries and puts in place always suggest long term.
:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here