Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not now it isn't. It looks increasingly true that it was at the time. He wasn't talking in 2015.
OK, how about if we'd had Chris Hughton in charge for Amex season 2 ?

Would the ceiling have been higher than with Gus ? ???

I think it would have been, and to this day find Gus' comments at that time insulting to the club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not now it isn't. It looks increasingly true that it was at the time. He wasn't talking in 2015.
That's nonsense. He was talking when we already had the Amex, and were planning the training ground. Nothing much has changed here, we're still not spending a fortune on players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And got Ulloa for 2 million....

Poyet was nothing short of excellent for us, his time had come to go, but i will always be greatful for what he did for us.

Given a bit of time at Leeds he could do great there, sadly ther Chairman wont give anyone that time.

He turned Leeds down before Rosler was appointed. I posted the link in one of the sacking threads.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
And got Ulloa for 2 million....

Poyet was nothing short of excellent for us, his time had come to go, but i will always be greatful for what he did for us.

Given a bit of time at Leeds he could do great there, sadly ther Chairman wont give anyone that time.

Shame he fell out with Vicente when it mattered

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's nonsense. He was talking when we already had the Amex, and were planning the training ground. Nothing much has changed here, we're still not spending a fortune on players.

As someone said earlier, we've had a MASSIVE overhaul of top level staff at the club. A huge amount has changed in terms of how the club operated then, and now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's at least one poster on this thread still pining for Gus.

Lol. I missed those days, when Oscar & Hyppia were in charge.
Not now though as I'm loving this season.

I do get fed up with some of the re-writing of history.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Turned out he was right about Burke though eh? As was Oscar.
Unless Burke was giving Tony a sack load of 'change' back after every window, saying 'look how much I've saved' the problem was higher than DB.

If you give your Director of Football Chris O'Grady money 99 times out of 100 he's going to sign Chris O'Grady quality.

Adding all of the outlay together this season, the Albion have probably spent more on centre backs, than DB was given to fund the entire Hyypia season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts:

1. Poyet's stock is still higher than a club of Swindon's current stature. I place his level at somewhere around lower La Liga / a Championship club with realistically big aspirations. If he gets ANY Prem job now he can count himself very lucky.
2. I like to think that the club got it's revenge on Gus by trousering £5 mill for Buckley and Bridcutt. Let's just call it quits and move on.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
My thoughts:

1. Poyet's stock is still higher than a club of Swindon's current stature. I place his level at somewhere around lower La Liga / a Championship club with realistically big aspirations. If he gets ANY Prem job now he can count himself very lucky.
2. I like to think that the club got it's revenge on Gus by trousering £5 mill for Buckley and Bridcutt. Let's just call it quits and move on.
I agree. Let's move on from Poyet, Buckley and Bridcutt who all thought they were too big for Brighton and jeopardised our progression by their lack of loyalty, went on to play for perennial under achievers on Weirside and now none of them could get arrested. Let's stop going on about it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As someone said earlier, we've had a MASSIVE overhaul of top level staff at the club. A huge amount has changed in terms of how the club operated then, and now.
Bloom is still here, Barber is still here. Changing the manager doesn't count, as when Gus said we'd hit the ceiling he clearly didn't mean because of himself. So Burke has left. Burke being here didn't mean we'd hit the ceiling, as it's obvious that someone in Burke's position could easily be changed.

Things that are not so easily changed are the ground, fan-base, level of investment from the Chairman. Those are the things that represent a club's ceiling. None of that has changed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unless Burke was giving Tony a sack load of 'change' back after every window, saying 'look how much I've saved' the problem was higher than DB.

If you give your Director of Football Chris O'Grady money 99 times out of 100 he's going to sign Chris O'Grady quality.

Adding all of the outlay together this season, the Albion have probably spent more on centre backs, than DB was given to fund the entire Hyypia season.

Ah, this old chestnut again.

I have to say at the time I broadly agreed with you. However, we need to remember that we were a) trying to stay withing tighter FFP confines than exist today b) funding an Academy (the budget of which Burke would also have had a massive say in and you cannot spend the same pound twice) and c) that the club stated that budgets were the same or increased which (thus far) the accounts have borne out.

The fact is that the second Poyet went we started to replace like for not-so-good. The first alarm bells were raised for me when the want-away Liam Bridcutt was replaced by Keith feckin Andrews while still being on the payroll (but not playing). That was pretty much our FIRST mistake post Poyet - and nothing to do with anyone but David Burke.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We haven't really spent that much since Hughton has been here but what has been spent has been spent wisely.

Does anyone know how much we have spent on buying players since January?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, this old chestnut again.

I have to say at the time I broadly agreed with you. However, we need to remember that we were a) trying to stay withing tighter FFP confines than exist today b) funding an Academy (the budget of which Burke would also have had a massive say in and you cannot spend the same pound twice) and c) that the club stated that budgets were the same or increased which (thus far) the accounts have borne out.

The fact is that the second Poyet went we started to replace like for not-so-good. The first alarm bells were raised for me when the want-away Liam Bridcutt was replaced by Keith feckin Andrews while still being on the payroll (but not playing). That was pretty much our FIRST mistake post Poyet - and nothing to do with anyone but David Burke.

Oh there's a 100 & 1 mistakes we can put squarely on the shoulders of DB.
You don't get sacked on Christmas eve because you were 'not quite good enough'.

But there's the issue with how much money, and then the issue with what was done with it.
Clearly DB picks up pretty much all of the blame for the latter, but he shouldn't be drawn into the former when talking about budgets and 'ceilings' etc.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Nobody is saying Poyet was not a very good manager. He must have been good otherwise nobody would be peed off about him going. However it seems he might have at least contributed to the decision to dismiss him, he had made some mistakes that meant he was not perfect and he has yet to prove himself as a top level manager.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There's at least one poster on this thread still pining for Gus.

Not me. I'm loving it under Hughton and wouldn't want Gus back. Not sure it was aimed at me though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here