Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This.

I remain a Poyet fan, enjoyed the football etc.

He made 3-4 big mistakes for me though:

The 'ceiling' comment.
Selling Murray (hindsight is a wonderful thing)
Treatment of Vicente
Palace team selection and preparation.

+ generally an egotistical flouncer......the whole poo-gate incident was a very bad joke , fingers pointed at various people but no concrete statement from the club ........poyet however chose to take to twitter and then drag the whole show through the mud for 6 weeks...in hindsight , if the palace coach driver had fessed up at the time everybody could have had a bit of a squirm and a giggle and got on with it.....his treatment of both the players you mentioned shows him up as a billy big bollox , tantrum throwing goon......thanks for the memories gus , that's about it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But why talk about roofs( ceilings ) at all ?

Why was it all about Project Poyet ?

At an astoundingly sensitive moment why not just say something like 'Deeply disappointed, the club as a whole will look at this in the next few days, and see how we move forward from here ' ???

I don't know. But none of that is affected by us going up this season. If you think it was ill-judged at the time, that's one thing, I won't argue with that (though I am perhaps a bit more forgiving of it than you appear to be). But his comments 2.5 years ago aren't going to suddenly become ill-judged if we go up this season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For me he built up enough equity in 10/11 for a lifetime of bigmouthed egotism. That season was just magnificent.

Meh :shrug:

The football that season was only magnificent compared to the poundshop seasons that had necessarily gone before. Poyet was the first manager to have the purse-strings loosened. Fair play to the bloke for teaching the likes of El-Abd and T.Elphick to (painfully) pass the ball on the ground, if only sideways, continually, or back to Ankergren for him to hoof it up-field, instead of them. It was like watching toddlers learning to walk. Be honest, we only just spluttered over the finishing line in first place. Southampton woke up in late September and finished like an express train. Then gained back-to-back promotions. We finished first that season but we were second best by a country mile. And yes I know the table doesn't lie:bla: But it doesn't tell the whole truth either.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
GP openly coveted the big time in management. He spoke as if he thought we thought it was an endearing quality.
He had a good thing going here but was childishly impatient.
Now he's old news and depreciated.
A bit of a lesson there about not getting ahead of yourself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The football that season was only magnificent compared to the poundshop seasons that had necessarily gone before. Poyet was the first manager to have the purse-strings loosened. Fair play to the bloke for teaching the likes of El-Abd and T.Elphick to (painfully) pass the ball on the ground, if only sideways, continually, or back to Ankergren for him to hoof it up-field, instead of them. It was like watching toddlers learning to walk. Be honest, we only just spluttered over the finishing line in first place. Southampton woke up in late September and finished like an express train. Then gained back-to-back promotions. We finished first that season but we were second best by a country mile. And yes I know the table doesn't lie:bla: But it doesn't tell the whole truth either.

Come off it, we won the league with a record number of points, ever, with four games to spare, and three points clear of Southampton. The players just relaxed after that as they were already on the beach.
We won 8 games out of 8 in March.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2010-2011/true-table/full

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
GP openly coveted the big time in management. He spoke as if he thought we thought it was an endearing quality.
He had a good thing going here but was childishly impatient.
Now he's old news and depreciated.
A bit of a lesson there about not getting ahead of yourself.
Yes, exactly.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Poyet would be a great appointment for Swindon. Would be surprised if his next job was in League One though.

He'd do well to take a job like the Swindon one. Nothing to lose with a chance to re-build his reputation gained whilst with us.

The problem for him is that he is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Poyet walked into an already good Albion squad with Murray, Crofts, Elphick, E Bennett, Cook and El Abd all there before him.

That was in the relegation zone. The first thing he did was bring two full backs in - Calderon & Painter, to shore up the defence.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Nonsense. That season was utterly GLORIOUS. Read that article by the Carlisle fan, saying it was the best League One side he had EVER seen. We were 16 (SIXTEEN) points clear when it mattered.

We might not get another season like that for 20, 30, 40 years. Who knows. It was properly special.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Let Murray go for nothing. Nothing! Then replaced him with Muttley.

And got Ulloa for 2 million....

Poyet was nothing short of excellent for us, his time had come to go, but i will always be greatful for what he did for us.

Given a bit of time at Leeds he could do great there, sadly ther Chairman wont give anyone that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here