Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet sounded out by Leeds

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
...and we have got progressively worse since he left.
The club was on a high when he was here and had a lovely new stadium to move into and a sizeable budget although if anything the recruitment of decent players has been our down fall not gus leaving.

You need to look at the bigger picture instead of looking through those rose tinted specs like most as the feel good factor only lasts so long and in time we'll make the promise land and play far better football and score goals.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
...and we have got progressively worse since he left.
Yes, but it is equally valid to say that we have got progressively worse while BERK was in charge of recruitment.

Hopefully the cause of our regression is now fixed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus and Cellino. Wow, that is a match made in hell. If it happens, it won't last long. The biggest ego in football versus Cellino.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Love The Guardian's take on this:

Today’s Mirror reveals that Gus Poyet may well be bringing his brand of slow, ponderous and ineffective football to Elland Road, which ought to be a real treat for long-suffering regulars.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I posted the below in the Adkins thread and I stand by it:

I would have thought Poyet would be chomping at the bit for this Leeds job. Couple an outspoken egotistical chairman with an outspoken egotistical manager, what could possibly go wrong..

First signing....Kevin Pietersen, followed of course by Bridcutt and Buckley. :mad:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Love The Guardian's take on this:

Today’s Mirror reveals that Gus Poyet may well be bringing his brand of slow, ponderous and ineffective football to Elland Road, which ought to be a real treat for long-suffering regulars.

Can't wait. Its going to be hilarious. Like a car crash in slow motion. You can see it going to happen and know that its inevitable.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
PS: He was interviewed last week and made it clear he was looking for another Prem League job in the UK. Ideally this summer.
Although [he says] he's had interest overseas (Italy, Spain).

I would be shocked if he got another PL league so quickly on the back of Sunderland and Brighton jobs, Sunderland was his big chance, he blew it.

Back to the Championship with Gus if he wants to stay in England,

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Which Premier League job is he likely to get? If he wants to wait until Christmas he may get another Sunderland type rescue job. I think he'd take a job like Leeds, he banged on enough about them when he was here ffs.

I completely agree. Having been dismissed from the Sunderland job, a team who will only just retain their Premiership status by the skin of their teeth, he won't get another job in the Premier League any time soon.

Taking that into account, l think Leeds would offer an excellent opportunity for him, a well supported. sleeping giant of a club, and l can see how the opportunity would appeal to him.

Failing that, l've long thought that Gus's brand of patient passing football, starting from the back, would be well suited to european football. Spain perhaps?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've heard that Basle might be a possibility for Poyet et al, which could see him in the Champions League.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see why Gus and his team would spend much time considering Leeds. Basic salaries will probably be modest and heavily bonus-related, but Cellino has a track record of getting through managers both in Italy and the UK.

Leeds have a modest squad and I can't see how they could compete with the likes of Norwich / Middlesbrough, Burnley, Derby, Hull/Sunderland/Newcastle. It would take at least £10 million to take that Leeds squad and make them competitive, I think Redfearn worked wonders.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Fulham at least sounds feesable if its a championship job, as they still have parachute payments.

Abroad somewhere would be my guess though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fulham, as with Brentford, is also about as close to Chelsea I can see Gus getting in a managerial role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here