Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet sounded out by Leeds

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Having spent the last 10 years scraping his way up the football pyramid, I would be surprised if he were to drop down a division this soon, even for legendary Big Club, Mighty Leeds United.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having spent the last 10 years scraping his way up the football pyramid, I would be surprised if he were to drop down a division this soon, even for legendary Big Club, Mighty Leeds United.

Which Premier League job is he likely to get? If he wants to wait until Christmas he may get another Sunderland type rescue job. I think he'd take a job like Leeds, he banged on enough about them when he was here ffs.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Tanno surely ticked the 'grim up north' job with Sunderland and can't wait to get back to his Italian villa that we originally uprooted him and his family from. Dennis Wise as Poyet's assistant at Leeds?

The Poison dwarf should add some much needed stability to what could be a volatile relationship with Gus and Cellino :)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would imagine it would be quite a topic of conversation in the week/month/probably longer before his return to the amex if he got it. 'Will you boo gus' threads etc

Given recent history, even if he's given the job, he'll probably already been sacked before the AMEX game, unless we play them in the first month of the season.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
This has the potential to be brilliant, especially as he loves Leeds so much. He will be employed by a lunatic owner and will be frustrated that his 'Arry Redknapp side cannot emerge and spend loads of money...Mainly as I suspect Leeds have less money to throw around than we do.

On top of this I imagine the locals will not be so patient as he changes the playing style. I mean, it took some of our fans long enough to grasp what Poyet was trying to do so will be even worse up there...And they will have plenty more "get it forward" merchants within their support than we do.

If he does not start well then it will turn real sour, real quick...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Which Premier League job is he likely to get? If he wants to wait until Christmas he may get another Sunderland type rescue job. I think he'd take a job like Leeds, he banged on enough about them when he was here ffs.

I have no idea.I think'd he'd struggle at the majority of clubs at Premier League level but the sack race usually starts around October/November and options may be open then.

I also think he would have taken the Leeds job when he was with us because he saw them as a step up, now they're a step down.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Leeds chairman says he will walk away if they are not promoted in the next 2 seasons. I suspect in that time he will see off at least another 4 managers, sacking one of them when they are sitting in 5th place with 6 games to go as its not good enough.

And given Gus current employment situation how would Leeds be stepping down from where he is now? Is the Leeds managers job worse than signing on every 2 weeks? oh, hang on, most Leeds managers recently do end up signing on every 2 weeks :)

If Gus goes there and takes 5 months to build the team into his style with his players before getting results then he will be sacked before xmas. In fact the day Leeds appoint a new manager I will walk into the bookies and stick 20 quid on their manager to be the first to be sacked next season in the Championship

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I posted the below in the Adkins thread and I stand by it:

I would have thought Poyet would be chomping at the bit for this Leeds job. Couple an outspoken egotistical chairman with an outspoken egotistical manager, what could possibly go wrong..

FFP.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This has the potential to be brilliant, especially as he loves Leeds so much. He will be employed by a lunatic owner and will be frustrated that his 'Arry Redknapp side cannot emerge and spend loads of money...Mainly as I suspect Leeds have less money to throw around than we do.

On top of this I imagine the locals will not be so patient as he changes the playing style. I mean, it took some of our fans long enough to grasp what Poyet was trying to do so will be even worse up there...And they will have plenty more "get it forward" merchants within their support than we do.

If he does not start well then it will turn real sour, real quick...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Absolutely this, great post.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
PS: He was interviewed last week and made it clear he was looking for another Prem League job in the UK. Ideally this summer.
Although [he says] he's had interest overseas (Italy, Spain).

I admire his self-confidence. Undaunted by his recent failure at Sunderland, there he is, touting for a big job again, oblivious to the wreckage he left behind him. The local press on Wearside reported that dressing room morale was at rock-bottom and the majority of players had lost complete confidence in him. In short, the wheels had come off and he couldn't do anything about it.
Still, if he keeps talking the talk ( and he will ) someone,somewhere, will give him another chance and it will all end in tears again. He has a vastly overrated opinion of his own ability and relies on an ongoing charm offensive to get by. The media love him, so he will always get his fair share of publicity.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Advocaat has made a massive difference to Sunderland. I watched them play Everton and it was an excellent organised defensive display that Poyet could only dream of.

The only way he will manage in the Prem again is if he gets a club promoted from the Championship.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Can see him doing a great job there if he gets it. Expectations have been lowered at Leeds for many years now and he is more than capable of getting them into the top six. Our loss sadly.
I disagree and think he's seriously overrated as a manager....His style of play is so bland and boring and don't see him getting Leeds or anyone promoted in this division.You can say he got us 4th while the whole club was on a crest of a wave and you have to take in many factors towards those feel good factor times,but his philosophy of not getting beat and rarely winning or not winning from a losing position sums up his tactics.

Dire outdated manager who's football is so predictable and not to mention he's a ****:wink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only way he will manage in the Prem again is if he gets a club promoted from the Championship.

I agree, he offers very little as a manager who can turn around a sinking ship quickly which is what he would have to do with any Premier League job. He needs time to build a team and time is something clubs at the bottom of the Premier League don't have. I can't see anyone giving him a job in the Premier League over the summer, he'd be better to cut his losses and start again in the Championship, where I do feel he could do very well if he gets enough financial backing.

The Leeds job would be a disaster for him but his ego is big enough for him to take it on.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I agree, he offers very little as a manager who can turn around a sinking ship quickly which is what he would have to do with any Premier League job. He needs time to build a team and time is something clubs at the bottom of the Premier League don't have. I can't see anyone giving him a job in the Premier League over the summer, he'd be better to cut his losses and start again in the Championship, where I do feel he could do very well if he gets enough financial backing.

The Leeds job would be a disaster for him but his ego is big enough for him to take it on.

Would be interesting if he would take Bridcutt and Buckley to Leeds. I'm all for him getting the job, the potential Panto from it would be massive.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to somebody close to Charlie they, the 3 of them, have been sounded out about a job in the south somewhere and are very interested,but he would not say which club.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
According to somebody close to Charlie they, the 3 of them, have been sounded out about a job in the south somewhere and are very interested,but he would not say which club.

A club currently without a manager in the south?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here