Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet: best win of my career

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not so much that 'Albion fans who love their club get slagged off' but more 'Albion fans who read between the lines to find a ridiculous and non-existent anti-Brighton message in a former manager's post-match comments get mocked'

This.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
He didn't manage Leeds. He was assistant there after Swindon and before Spurs.

Agreed. I was trying not to list what people already know. My thoughts were..... Leeds (learning the ropes), BHA (promo to Championship) and SAFC (keep `em in the PL). A trend that says "I am ready for the big job now"......

Now if you were a PL chairman looking at that CV (and bearing in mind he could play a bit) what would you say?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
it's clear he didn't really care that much about us. He doesn't much care about Sunderland either though - it's all about Gus. Good manager but his tactical nous will never match his egotism.

You do realise Gus isn't alone in this.

I would say 99% of managers are the same. I can only really count Wenger as the one clear example of someone who CARES about his club outside of his immediate job as manager.

I care for the wellbeing of my company while im here. The moment I leave I won't. That's career progression. It's a job at the end of the day.

Same as probably all of our footballers who we bought don't LOVE this club. It pays their mortgage. Do I have a problem with that? No, of course not.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
First of all you need to remind me ..... when did we beat Chelsea under Poyet.... Im not saying you're wrong but I do have blank spaces but I dont remember this. TBH I will be VERY VERY embarrassed if you are right.

Secondly, OK it was a bit low and Im sorry for that because you are entitled to your opinions but I think you'll find its not very original.. The funny thing is I was there too and I also was 16. I think youll find a fair few more of us than just us two.

And thirdly mate you ARE entitled to your opinions but it IS too precious. If I was him I would have said the same thing and at the moment I said it Albion would have been furthest from my mind. Call me bad fan but I wasnt thinking about the Albion when I got married, when my wife was born and I should think that result, considering the circumstances to a guy like Poyet wouldve been akin to that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
First of all you need to remind me ..... when did we beat Chelsea under Poyet.... Im not saying you're wrong but I do have blank spaces but I dont rememeber this. TBH I will be VERYVERY embarrassed if you are right.

We beat them 3-1 at the Amex in a preseason friendly at the start of last season

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Writes the bloke who can't end a sentence without exclamation marks.

Says the man who can't count - two sentences - only one ended in an exclamation mark. And just for you here's another !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
tumblr_inline_mrwhqtavEn1qz4rgp.gif

Lol,,nice one

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed. I was trying not to list what people already know. My thoughts were..... Leeds (learning the ropes), BHA (promo to Championship) and SAFC (keep `em in the PL). A trend that says "I am ready for the big job now"......

I think the big job was over the Amex away changing room floor, wasn't it?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You do realise Gus isn't alone in this.

I would say 99% of managers are the same. I can only really count Wenger as the one clear example of someone who CARES about his club outside of his immediate job as manager.

I care for the wellbeing of my company while im here. The moment I leave I won't. That's career progression. It's a job at the end of the day.

Same as probably all of our footballers who we bought don't LOVE this club. It pays their mortgage. Do I have a problem with that? No, of course not.

Of course he's not alone but how many managers are so wrapped up in their own self-importance that they would be prepared to dump their club a few days before the biggest game of the season. Gus had already cocked it up about Palace. He knew how important that game was to us. I accept that it's the nature of the beast that the managers are not fans but a bit of humility, a bit of understanding and comprehension of what effect his actions would have is not too much to ask, is it? Why leave immediately? Why not after the game? Because he really did not care two hoots about us the fans nor the club.

And this is what amuses me about all the usual suspects that leap to Gus's defence in EVERY single thread - like he was the frigging second coming. He was a good manager but that's all it was and he has a lot of unsavoury personality traits that make this idol worship on here look very sad indeed. And I'd also add that in the same way as some use everything Gus says to make him look bad, there are others who use everything Gus says to try to make Bloom and Barber look bad.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
and Chelsea put out a proper first team.

OMG..... it WAS a friendly!!!!! it was bizzarely on Turkish TV and I actually saw the whole game. Chelsea were nowhere near themslves. I admit we were brilliant but friendlies just dont count.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Just spent an interesting five minutes reading stuff on the Sunderland forum. They really think Gus has made a big impact already and complimenting his passing-from-the-back style. But it seems that some of the fans don't yet understand this patient build-up play and are yelling for the defenders to hoof it. And some fans are still leaving after 80 minutes. Just imagine!

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Of course he's not alone but how many managers are so wrapped up in their own self-importance that they would be prepared to dump their club a few days before the biggest game of the season. Gus had already cocked it up about Palace. He knew how important that game was to us. I accept that it's the nature of the beast that the managers are not fans but a bit of humility, a bit of understanding and comprehension of what effect his actions would have is not too much to ask, is it? Why leave immediately? Why not after the game? Because he really did not care two hoots about us the fans nor the club.

And this is what amuses me about all the usual suspects that leap to Gus's defence in EVERY single thread - like he was the frigging second coming. He was a good manager but that's all it was and he has a lot of unsavoury personality traits that make this idol worship on here look very sad indeed. And I'd also add that in the same way as some use everything Gus says to make him look bad, there are others who use everything Gus says to try to make Bloom and Barber look bad.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here