Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus pledge on new striker

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
May have already been said (haven't read whole thread),

Dani Lopez - Stevenage (2 hat tricks, 2 games, 2 different clubs)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Simon Church does tick a lot of the boxes.

Height
Experience at this level
Probably available
Probably motivated to do well
Good age
Fit

The only doubt is goalscoring, but who is to say he couldn't do a good job overall and the goals may come given proper supply which he won't have had at Huddersfield.

113championship apps 22 goals. That's not even 1 in 5...Don't tick my box.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
There could be some players at the top of Gus's list that have changed their mind after Sunday's performance.

I hope so. We must remember that both Bridge and Kusczak took quite a bit of persuading and Gus and Tony clearly have that power of persuasion in their locker. Unfortunately time is not really on our side as it was with those two negotiations, but here's hoping. I would guess though that it will be someone similar in ability to Vokes. I.E someone who can put a shift in when Ulloa needs a rest or to help him flourish.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Simon Church does tick a lot of the boxes.

Height
Experience at this level
Probably available
Probably motivated to do well
Good age
Fit

The only doubt is goalscoring, but who is to say he couldn't do a good job overall and the goals may come given proper supply which he won't have had at Huddersfield.

Not rated at Huddersfield, and Reading have been trying to get rid for at least 2 years, and have loaned him out 5 times.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not rated at Huddersfield, and Reading have been trying to get rid for at least 2 years, and have loaned him out 5 times.

But bearing in mind we are only looking for a back up who may not even play other than the odd sub appearance how good a player can we realistically attract?

There is no way Gus is going to change our system so in my view all he wants is a back up to Ulloa which by definition means someone who is not as good.

Frankly some of the suggestions on this thread are complete nuts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But bearing in mind we are only looking for a back up who may not even play other than the odd sub appearance how good a player can we realistically attract?

There is no way Gus is going to change our system so in my view all he wants is a back up to Ulloa which by definition means someone who is not as good.

Frankly some of the suggestions on this thread are complete nuts.

The problem is that his record suggests he is no better an option than Agdestein.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The problem is that his record suggests he is no better an option than Agdestein.

Erm

Agdestein - Championship appearances 6, goals 0
Church - Championship appearances 113, goals 22

Given the choice of who to play in a play off final out of those two I don't really think there is a contest.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We are looking for someone who is happy to sit on bench and can take a chance when called upon at this level in the Phillips mould.Connolly ticks that box.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Erm

Given the choice of who to play in a play off final out of those two I don't really think there is a contest.

Agreed. While we have some promising young players, throwing them into the team at this stage of the season is madness. We need an older-head, someone with a bit of experience who won't make silly mistakes which unfortunately many young players do.

Who knows maybe Agdestein/et al might come good, but now is not the time to risk it.

Anyone who'd rather Agdestein than Simon Church needs their heads examined.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Erm

Personnally I have less confidence in Church to score than Agdestein ( and I want a loan striker in, and for us not to rely on the development squad at this stage ).

Reading have been trying to jettison Church for a long time, loaning him out or trying to make him a makeweight in deals to bring in strikers - no one has taken him.

I'd be seriously down if he's the striker we bring in.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agreed. While we have some promising young players, throwing them into the team at this stage of the season is madness. We need an older-head, someone with a bit of experience who won't make silly mistakes which unfortunately many young players do.

Who knows maybe Agdestein/et al might come good, but now is not the time to risk it.

Anyone who'd rather Agdestein than Simon Church needs their heads examined.

I'll make an appointment :lolol:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm rather underwhelmed by this talk of Simon Church. He came on as a sub against us at the John Smiths Stadium earlier this season but looked an anonymous plodder (in a team of Huddersfield plodders) which was rather sad considering he is only 23/24 so ought to be hungry and having only just arrived on loan so should have been out to make an impression.

We did our best to help when Brezovan gifted Church a 5 yard tap in by spilling a late cross/shot, but that hardly makes him Lionel Messi.

I can't say that Church looked like a 'Gus player', but then I never thought Barn Door Billy would ever grace an Albion shirt either.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You may be underwhelmed by Church and he doesn't excite me either, but at least he has shown he can play and score at Championship level, Agdenstein hasn't.

No quality striker (like the one's mentioned above) are going to come to sit on the bench and most probably watch Ulloa run around for 80 minutes.

They will be a squad player at best unless Ulloa is injured and then frankly we are probably ****ed because we won't be getting bloody Messi on loan, or Zamora or Darren Bent. it will be a journeyman striker, like a Phillips/Roberts type player or a can't quite make it type player like Church. That's it, you need collecting by the men in white coats if you think otherwise.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Connolly would be miles better than Church. A great striker when fit and would most likely be more than happy playing the last 15-20 minutes, sign him up.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
You may be underwhelmed by Church and he doesn't excite me either, but at least he has shown he can play and score at Championship level, Agdenstein hasn't.

No quality striker (like the one's mentioned above) are going to come to sit on the bench and most probably watch Ulloa run around for 80 minutes.

They will be a squad player at best unless Ulloa is injured and then frankly we are probably ****ed because we won't be getting bloody Messi on loan, or Zamora or Darren Bent. it will be a journeyman striker, like a Phillips/Roberts type player or a can't quite make it type player like Church. That's it, you need collecting by the men in white coats if you think otherwise.

I agree we need someone who is capable of doing a job if called upon. We will be very very lucky if Ulloa stays fit for the remainder of the season and potentially on into the playoffs. He may well have to be rotated to save his legs. But I have realistic expectations if Church is the answer. I'd like to think he would be hungry enough to want to take whatever opportunity the Albion might give him. If he puts on an Albion shirt then he'd get my support. Could be a revelation and the making of a minor legend for whoever gets the role.

Its rather sad that none of our DS strikers are in the frame. Barker looked ok in his late cameo at Barnsley. As for Adgestein? What a golden opportunity. Seems rather damning if Gus can't find a place on the bench let alone give a proper run out for our own DS strikers. But then there is a hell of a lot at stake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here