Gus - IF you don't want to be with us we don't want you.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't presume to talk for all of us, thanks. Whilst being fully aware of the fact that BHAFC is not the pinnacle of Gus' career ambition, I'm still delighted with the work he's done and very much 'want him here' thanks.

You're welcome to your opinions, but don't present them as universal. Cheers

Fair point I suppose.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus has, as far as I'm aware, never pretended that he sees the Albion job as anything but a stepping stone but Reading wtf? When did they become a "top job" then? Have his constant references to where he wants to manage, instead of Brighton, pissed off Bloom to the extent that he's now almost encouraging him out of the door? I feel that there is far more to this than meets the eye. The timing is dreadful, Reading have no better long term prospects than us and short term maybe not even as good. The whole situation is just plain bizarre from the outside.

This scenario could have waited until the summer, it will look bad on Gus if he walks at this stage of the season as we probably have as much chance of promotion as Reading have of staying up. Another promotion or near miss on his CV would look much better in Gus' quest for the Chelsea or Spurs job than a relegation with Reading. I'm not sure that Gus style of football is suited to a relegation battle anyway and with so few games left so I'd have very little faith in him keeping them up. For all his attributes, I'm not sure firefighter is one of them.

I'm actually quite confused by what seems to be happening, no doubt it will all become clear shortly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
agree, same as in any walk of life , another job offer comes along, consider it, make what you think to be the correct decision, do it.

I agree to a point but his timing is appalling. This latter point has made me quite angry. If he wants out wait until the end of the season like he told Elliot Bennett.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree to a point but his timing is appalling. This latter point has made me quite angry. If he wants out wait until the end of the season like he told Elliot Bennett.

100% this. IF any of this is true, then thats the very least that should be expected of him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
100% this. IF any of this is true, then thats the very least that should be expected of him.

If it is true, my dream scenrio is that Poyet leaves, Reading get relegated, we go and get promoted and wait for the quality CVs to land on Tony's door mat over the summer.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can't be botherded to read this whole thread so I'll just say to the OP that you do realise this is a football team right? Managers come and go, time and business dictate it such. I don't know why anyone's surprised the blokes quoted as saying something along the lines of "I need experience with a quality team, so far I have only experience with Brighton" a long while back. It's not personal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree to a point but his timing is appalling. This latter point has made me quite angry.
Whose timing? As far as we know, Gus hasn't said or done anything. Reading asked if they could speak to Gus, and as per club policy, Bloom said yes you can. That's it, the sum total of this NSC meltdown.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whose timing? As far as we know, Gus hasn't said or done anything. Reading asked if they could speak to Gus, and as per club policy, Bloom said yes you can. That's it, the sum total of this NSC meltdown.

Lol, it may well be that simple

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
NSC is like a bunch of blathering schoolgirls sometimes. Look at all this fuss, people being told on other threads that their thread is unimportant, 9 page threads on pure speculation, people slagging other teams off becasue they think Brighton is better. Get a grip bitches.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Assuming the news about permission is correct Gus would have been sounded out prior to this and I'm pretty certain he wants to talk to Reading. If he did not then Gus/the club would have said "we're flattered, thanks but no thanks." I really do not believe that the club would ask to speak to Gus, club say yes and then Gus says "what, I'm on holiday." It does not work this way.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Reading want to talk to Gus about loaning us Simon Church. That is all!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Gus has, as far as I'm aware, never pretended that he sees the Albion job as anything but a stepping stone but Reading wtf? When did they become a "top job" then? Have his constant references to where he wants to manage, instead of Brighton, pissed off Bloom to the extent that he's now almost encouraging him out of the door? I feel that there is far more to this than meets the eye. The timing is dreadful, Reading have no better long term prospects than us and short term maybe not even as good. The whole situation is just plain bizarre from the outside.

This scenario could have waited until the summer, it will look bad on Gus if he walks at this stage of the season as we probably have as much chance of promotion as Reading have of staying up. Another promotion or near miss on his CV would look much better in Gus' quest for the Chelsea or Spurs job than a relegation with Reading. I'm not sure that Gus style of football is suited to a relegation battle anyway and with so few games left so I'd have very little faith in him keeping them up. For all his attributes, I'm not sure firefighter is one of them.

I'm actually quite confused by what seems to be happening, no doubt it will all become clear shortly.

it's just another clueless ,billionaire chairman pointing at Gus and saying " heye vont daat vun" (russian innit)......Gus would be insane to move to Reading for all the reasons mentioned on this thread before and because said chairman has just sacked the bloke who bought them up as champions last season.........there's gratitude for you...... massive attempt fail imho.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Turning down a £1.5 million survival bonus would seem to indicate he very much wants to be with us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Turning down a £1.5 million survival bonus would seem to indicate he very much wants to be with us.
Or that he realises Reading are not staying up.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Or that he did not believe he had any realistic chance of keeping them up and getting the money and then scrapping around in the championship next season. Poyet wants a premiership club and sense caught up with him and he saw the club was going down. He went back to the comfy shoes, BHAFC, where everyone adores him and he has far less pressure to succeed. The pressure at Reading with the new owner would have been IMMENSE and we know Gus does not take pressure very well so he decided to stick with nice Mr Bloom instead. I am pretty much sure those are the facts and Gus will be off when a better offer comes along, this was not the right offer for GUS. Poyet is a very good manager so we will be grateful all the time he is with us as is shown with all the threads but lets not delude ourselves, this was some sort of heroic show of loyalty to BHAFC by Gus, it was not the right deal for Gus, at the moment which would apply to 99% of football managers and players across the land.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Or that he did not believe he had any realistic chance of keeping them up and getting the money and then scrapping around in the championship next season. Poyet wants a premiership club and sense caught up with him and he saw the club was going down. He went back to the comfy shoes, BHAFC, where everyone adores him and he has far less pressure to succeed. The pressure at Reading with the new owner would have been IMMENSE and we know Gus does not take pressure very well so he decided to stick with nice Mr Bloom instead. I am pretty much sure those are the facts and Gus will be off when a better offer comes along, this was not the right offer for GUS. Poyet is a very good manager so we will be grateful all the time he is with us as is shown with all the threads but lets not delude ourselves, this was some sort of heroic show of loyalty to BHAFC by Gus, it was not the right deal for Gus, at the moment which would apply to 99% of football managers and players across the land.

Very true, it would seem to be no brainer on paper, up and coming championship club where you are worshipped or a possible yp-yo premiership club where there is huge pressure to make 4th bottom or top two alternate seasons. There will be other clubs after his services and they will be bigger and with better prospects and yes, he will go but, as you say, thats football.

Next possible suitor I think may be West Ham, the fans are not happy with Sam as the style of play does not suit the locals, he could well be on his bike close season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports