Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus has taken us as far as he can

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I wonder whether this much of a fuss would have kicked off had Ulloa scored from the spot...?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
And half of our players (you could argue our best players) are only at the club because of Gus. What happens if he goes? Our Spanish contingent would be left in the lurch somewhat, it would be a complete and utter overhaul.

I have faith that he would get us there eventually. We're clearly not ready for the PL at the moment, so long as we improve on last season which was the primary objective for this year, then I think its progress.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Another JCL, we have massively overachieved under Gus and it has changed our views of where we should be.

We play some of the best passing football in the league and are capable of beating anyone in this division, we are only a couple of players short of pushing for promotion and Gus is the guy to lead us there

I have supported Brighton since I was 8 - born in Brighton and was a mascot for the club as a kid - I love this club with all my heart and I dont hate Gus. My point is simply that I think he has done all HE can do with us. Maybe it is budget, maybe it is his stubborn tactics, but i just feel he has reached his limit here. I agree we have overachieved which does make some think we will go up, I am not one of them. I just can't see him getting us any better with the way things have gone since we have been in this division because he refuses to change

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
And half of our players (you could argue our best players) are only at the club because of Gus. What happens if he goes? Our Spanish contingent would be left in the lurch somewhat, it would be a complete and utter overhaul.

I have faith that he would get us there eventually. We're clearly not ready for the PL at the moment, so long as we improve on last season which was the primary objective for this year, then I think its progress.

Gus doesn't pay them mate - he can attract foreigners yes, but with the new stadium and training facilities on the way who wouldnt want to join us now, and all that is down to Tony Bloom

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We are ONE POINT outside the play offs! ONE POINT! With a better goal difference! How the hell can the season be over? We are one point behind with TWENTY SEVEN points left to play for!

I really do find all this ridiculously over the top pessimism odd. The way people on here react when we lose a couple of games, bloody hell, what do you do if something serious happens?
that's why I said mathematically but the evidence is more damning we won't be there or there abouts. It's not Pessimism more realism. We don't score enough, shoot enough in fact, lose to bottom sides to negate beating top ones which means we're probably going to miss out again. Frustratingly. Tonight's result on back of Bolton and Bristol are just proof we're just not quite good enough for 2nd season on trot. And the injuries and suspensions haven't exacted their toll yet.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We are ONE POINT outside the play offs! ONE POINT! With a better goal difference! How the hell can the season be over? We are one point behind with TWENTY SEVEN points left to play for!

I really do find all this ridiculously over the top pessimism odd. The way people on here react when we lose a couple of games, bloody hell, what do you do if something serious happens?
yea but look who we could not beat , 2 teams at the bottom of the league

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Precisely. Yes we could score 6 in every game between now and end of season but really? We've struggled to get 1 in many games. It feels like we're hanging on by our finger nails rather than consolidating our position with convincing performances. And crickey, that against te worst teams as you say.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I strongly disagree with the OP. We have continued to improve season-on-season since Gus has been here. To say that Gus has taken us as far as he can is based on nothing more than disappointment at a couple of away results and a degree of foresight that you can not possibly own.

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
I have supported Brighton since I was 8 - born in Brighton and was a mascot for the club as a kid - I love this club with all my heart and I dont hate Gus. My point is simply that I think he has done all HE can do with us. Maybe it is budget, maybe it is his stubborn tactics, but i just feel he has reached his limit here. I agree we have overachieved which does make some think we will go up, I am not one of them. I just can't see him getting us any better with the way things have gone since we have been in this division because he refuses to change

Completely agree. Gus should leave at the end of the season. If not we will be mid table at best next year. Time to move on.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Gus and Tony are playing the long game.

Thankfully Tony isn't as thick as some of the goons on here.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

We beat the runaway leaders of the division 2-0 away from home a couple of weeks ago! Anybody who hasn't worked out how close this division is, and that anybody can beat anybody in the Championship, clearly doesn't understand the game.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

If they're playing the long game they should come right out and say it. "We're not fussed about this year" as I've suspected for a while now.

Also I don't know why the play-offs are being treated like we've made it. 1 in 4 chance if the teams were all equal. More like 1 in 7 chance if you finish 6 th.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Agreed. Sometimes I honestly think a lot of people on here wish we had an idiotic itchy trigger finger hire fire Chairman like Abramovich. I for one am eternally grateful that we don't, because it means that we are building as a club at the right pace so when he hit the big time we can sustain it. All the morons who insist we should be getting promoted this year will be the very same people who will be ranting and raving when we are struggling at the bottom of the Premier League if we do.

In my view Gus has one more season to mount a serious promotion challenge. That doesn't mean we have to go up next year, but we need to be very close, which I'm 100% sure we will be. The team is much stronger now than it was at the start of the season, partly due to additions like Ulloa and partly due to the likes of Spanish Dave and Orlandi bedding in. Someone said earlier that we're 2nd in the 2013 table and that's about right, that's about where this team should be. But we haven't had this team all season. If we can keep it together we should be looking for a top four finish next season.

But anyone who thinks this season is over (in March when we're one point out of the play offs) is very much mistaken. If we had two extra points on the board and therefore Forest were one point behind us in 7th, would we be saying we were guaranteed to be in the play offs because their season was over? Er, no.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If they're playing the long game they should come right out and say it. "We're not fussed about this year" as I've suspected for a while now.

Right OK, so they should come out and say "Stop buying our product for the rest of the season, as we're not taking it seriously"?? Jesus, what is wrong with people? The level of idiocy on this board is just staggering.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Agreed. Sometimes I honestly think a lot of people on here wish we had an idiotic itchy trigger finger hire fire Chairman like Abramovich. I for one am eternally grateful that we don't, because it means that we are building as a club at the right pace so when he hit the big time we can sustain it. All the morons who insist we should be getting promoted this year will be the very same people who will be ranting and raving when we are struggling at the bottom of the Premier League if we do.

In my view Gus has one more season to mount a serious promotion challenge. That doesn't mean we have to go up next year, but we need to be very close, which I'm 100% sure we will be. The team is much stronger now than it was at the start of the season, partly due to additions like Ulloa and partly due to the likes of Spanish Dave and Orlandi bedding in. Someone said earlier that we're 2nd in the 2013 table and that's about right, that's about where this team should be. But we haven't had this team all season. If we can keep it together we should be looking for a top four finish next season.

But anyone who thinks this season is over (in March when we're one point out of the play offs) is very much mistaken. If we had two extra points on the board and therefore Forest were one point behind us in 7th, would we be saying we were guaranteed to be in the play offs because their season was over? Er, no.

Can I just say that this is the most ridiculously sensible post I have read for a long time. I congratulate you sir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here