Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite for Swansea job

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If Swansea did make a serious bid for Gus I think the only choice he has to make is does he want to manage in the Premiership immediately using Swansea as a stepping stone to greater opportunities, or, does he want to stay with a Championship club with good potential, but possibly a few years away from the promised land?

Is Gus ready for his answer?

You can bet your last pound that if Tony Bloom thinks that Gus will want to walk then possible future managers will have been shortlisted in anticipation.

If Gus is going, its preferable that he walks sooner rather than near the start of the new season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Realistically, what could Gus achieve at Swansea? Anything worse than 11th would be a step back. and as for improving, who are Swansea going to overtake? West Brom maybe, depending on who becomes their manager - but Liverpool, Everton, Fulham? Don't think so. Villa, QPR, Sunderland, Stoke, perhaps West Ham, could all do better than Swansea next season. How will that improve Gus's chances of landing a big job?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Trouble is for Swansea and Norwich is that there won't be teams like Wolves and Blackburn imploding this season , all depends how desperate Gus is to get to the PL

Why won't there?

Wigan without Martinez might crumble. West Ham's direct tactics might fall well short. West Brom go down every three years as a rule. Reading might not make the step up.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Trouble is for Swansea and Norwich is that there won't be teams like Wolves and Blackburn imploding this season , all depends how desperate Gus is to get to the PL

There are worse teams in the Premier League than Swansea and Norwich - Wigan, QPR, Southampton are three that immediately come in to my head.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Realistically, what could Gus achieve at Swansea? Anything worse than 11th would be a step back. and as for improving, who are Swansea going to overtake? West Brom maybe, depending on who becomes their manager - but Liverpool, Everton, Fulham? Don't think so. Villa, QPR, Sunderland, Stoke, perhaps West Ham, could all do better than Swansea next season. How will that improve Gus's chances of landing a big job?

Yes but Gus rightly has a lot of faith in his own ability and may feel he can take them further. Swansea really are an excellent side and with a couple of good additions I think they could finish higher. They obviously have some money as they were prepared to pay £7 million for Sigurdsson who is different class and if he's with them for a full season could take them forward.

Plus he only has to look at Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert finishing lower mid table in the Premier League but being linked with big clubs like Liverpool, Villa and Spurs (when Redknapp was favourite for the England job) to see that may be his stepping stone to a top job.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I guess it would depend on Gus's own belief in his managerial abilities. Does he think that he can at least equal Rodgers efforts of this season just gone or even go better?

One season in the Premiership has landed Rodgers with a plum job, will Gus be thinking its a fast lane to better things? Of course it could go all wrong for him!

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I, for one, will be surprised if he decided to go to Swansea who are no further up the tree than GP would hope or expect the Albion to be in 1/2/3 years. Also, it would certainly mean uprooting his wife and family for how many years until heading for the 'big one'

I reckon previous speculation was about right, he will go to Spurs or Chelsea when the time is right, OR something unpredictable but very special ?

For those 'big ones' he still has some work to do on his CV.

Still, it gives us something to post about in these dark days of summer.

Not sure that Gus will ever get the top job he wants and if he gets into the prem with us or someone else with the style of play he uses,playing around at the back and creating two or thee chances a game, the teams will get trashed. You cant keep the ball in your won half for 75% of the game and expect to beat premiership sides week in week out. Swansea and Norwich have survived by playing good football and attacking sides especially at home.We don't do that, even at home. Not sure that Gus knows any other way to play.He was one dimensional last season and we were found out and ended the season in relegation form. Having said that I want Gus to succeed at Brighton,but this next season is I believe make or break for him either getting a better club or his long term ambitions at Brighton.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Siggurdsson(sp?) hasn't actually signed yet - I strongly suspect he'll go to Anfield instead now.

Gus will be strong favourite for the Swansea job because it seems like a good fit, but let's see, eh? It doesn't follow that he'll go just because the bookies say so.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We constantly tell ourselves that Gus isn't ready for "a big club". Then whenever a job comes up at a smaller Premier League club, we say it would be "a backward step" or perhaps a sideways one.

Gus will leave us at some point and it's likely the timing will be of his choosing rather than the club's. It's what we have to live with, having a young and talented manager at the helm.

Worrying about him going is pointless. Let's just enjoy it while he's here and have faith in Tony Bloom to identify a very good successor when he goes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not a bad step up for a man who failed at Reading only 2 seasons ago after a very average performance at Watford. I don't know how you can say he's one of the best up and coming European managers based on a season and a half at Swansea building on other managers good work? I think its extremely risky from Liverpool's point of view.

I've just put £20 quid on Gus to be next Swansea manager at 6/1 with Paddy Power. Just got a feeling its going to happen. If he was interested in the Wolves job then I can't see why he wouldn't be interested in this. Plus it's a natural progression for Swansea - Martinez, Souza, Rodgers, Poyet. All have similar philosophies. The only issue for Swansea I can see would be the compensation we would demand.

Where did it say he was interested in the Wolves job? It didn't get as far as him. Wolves made enquiries to Tony Bloom about how much it would cost to approach him. He still has a 3 year contract and when they were told it would cost 2M, that was that. Gus has said that he won't apply for other jobs whilst he's under contract but that if a special club approached him, then he would consider it. He has young family in Kent and is building his own team here, so I can't see this enhancing his CV just yet.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Maybe a bit out of left-field but I'm hoping that Swansea may plum for either Holloway or Warnock

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Realistically he could finish up to three places higher, win one of a couple of cups and qualify for Europe. I would say that is the upper echelon of ambition for all but the biggest 12-14 clubs in the country, and of all those provincial clubs I would say none of them is as well positioned to do so as Swansea, except perhaps Fulham.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Where did it say he was interested in the Wolves job? It didn't get as far as him. Wolves made enquiries to Tony Bloom about how much it would cost to approach him. He still has a 3 year contract and when they were told it would cost 2M, that was that. Gus has said that he won't apply for other jobs whilst he's under contract but that if a special club approached him, then he would consider it. He has young family in Kent and is building his own team here, so I can't see this enhancing his CV just yet.

Ok, apologies, I thought I heard at the time he was interested if Bloom would have allowed him to talk.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Odds are shortening again so a lot of money is getting put on Gus - 2/1 with Skybet and Bodog, 3/1 with Paddy Power, 5/2 with Stan James and 7/4 with Victor - Swansea Specials Next Permanent Manager Betting Odds | Football Specials Betting

Out of all the jobs so far, this is probably the one he would be most likely to go for i would have thought. I think Swansea, if they sign a few good players, could easily be mid-table next season, maybe higher and couple appeal to Gus. I wont be distraught if he went - but if he did, good luck to him and i hope he has a lot of success there - although i would love him to stay of course.

Robero Martinez is also being linked to a return for the job - odds on Ian Holloway are shortening too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Plus he only has to look at Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert finishing lower mid table in the Premier League but being linked with big clubs like Liverpool, Villa and Spurs (when Redknapp was favourite for the England job) to see that may be his stepping stone to a top job.

Lambert and Rodgers vastly exceeded expectations by finishing in lower mid-table, and Martinez did likewise by avoiding relegation. Taking Swansea to 15th after they'd finished 11th might not impress many people.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Here we go again.
If Gus Poyet thinks becoming Swansea City Manager would be a good career move he's not the man I think he is.
B&HA is as big or bigger a club and job as Swansea, potentially bigger. He'd be mad to swap a probable promotion challenge for a near certain relegation fight. I always say there's a right time and a wrong time for every job, and this is the wrong time to be taking the Swansea post.
I'm not a B&HA supporter remember, so I can be almost perfectly objective where you're concerned. It seems to me you're bigger than many of you think; an unusual failing with football supporters.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Realistically he could finish up to three places higher, win one of a couple of cups and qualify for Europe. I would say that is the upper echelon of ambition for all but the biggest 12-14 clubs in the country, and of all those provincial clubs I would say none of them is as well positioned to do so as Swansea, except perhaps Fulham.

I think our definitions of "realistically" differ quite a lot.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Everything is in place for Gus to build a dynasty here , great Chairman , new beautiful and expanding ground , training facilities to come , millions when promotion is achieved , believe he should stay and would be very suprised if he departs for Swansea, stunned in fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here