Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus at it again, defending Suarez that is.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
"He tried to bite someone in the arm. No harm really, a little pain".

I'm sorry Gus, but this is crap. He didn't TRY to bite someone on the arm, he DID bite someone on the arm, and it was hardly a quick nibble either - Ivanovic had to physically shove his head off to get him to release. Whether there was harm or pain is neither here nor there, its just not acceptable on a football pitch (well, anywhere for that matter). It IS indefensible.

Yes the press are leaping all over it, and yes its because its their favourite whipping boy, but its his own stupid fault for having SO MUCH previous. He's already had a substantial ban for biting a player on the shoulder. He's had the Evra racism scandal. He openly celebrated his blatant cheating which knocked Ghana out of the World Cup. He's probably got a charge pending for punching Jara Reyes. He's a known diver and cheat - which is nothing unusual in the game, but when you add it to the rest of his antics, its hardly surprising that when this odious tool has his next "episode" on the pitch, the press will be all over it like a tramp on chips.

How would Gus react if (say) Ulloa got himself a hefty ban for committing the same offence during our crucial run-in ? Ruled himself out for the rest of the season and the Playoffs, for taking leave of his senses in a moment of madness and biting an opponent ? Would it be everyone elses fault for picking on a foreigner again ? Cos I'd be cuffing LIVID with him.

As ever with this, I really, really wish Gus would just say "I am manager of Brighton, I am not here to talk about other clubs players". Would that really be so hard ?

I agree with most of what you have written Suarez is a little shite but nevertheless a very good player and he does what it says on the can SCORE GOALS and up to a certain point he is a cheat which is one of his very unexceptble traits but then again so was Maradona and he is and was lauded to the heavens(a player I might say I detest to me he is and was the epitome of what is bad in the game of football)
I must say I have a little pity for Suarez after Ivanovic kicked Suarez the whole match and safe to say as usual the ref saw nothing. Suarez is a player who when frustrated takes matters into his own hands (mouth) when so obviously not being protected by the officials (and we of all fans know what happens re the Barnes affair) it does look like the press have it in for Suarez but why when Rooney, Beckham, and a never ending list of bad boy British players have done far worse things(Vinny Jones tackle if that what you want to call it on one of our ex-players that broke his leg) and I can't remember was he sent of or even booked for that.
as I said before and now looks like the media agree
10 match ban
but do you think the FA will even speak to the ref about missing some of the most glaring incidents in that match.

not a fqqking chance

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well, his opinion we might prefer to be hidden, but it would be silly to attempt to enforce some silencing mechanism, or cork, into his mouth. He's his own man and made his comment to protect someone he looks to mentor, perhaps as Brendon Rodgers would have done if the last furore hadn't made them unable to be loyal over arguing rationally. He might be talking rubbish in places, but he's not wrong about the over the top monsterisation of Suarez by the media. He's helped dig himself into this hole, but maybe a new villain will arrive in the coming weeks for us all to criticise and hate for not doing all that much really.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I actually think there is something in this, maybe not Brighton but Poyet is acting with one eye on the future.

Gus thinks he is going to manage a very big club one day, and he would be very well placed to lure Suarez at that time. Being the only man backing him in the past wouldn't do that situation any harm whatsoever.

That's what I was thinking.

Problem player, owner club sells him for a lesser amount to get rid of the problem. Gus is in the prime position to convince him to play for him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with most of what you have written Suarez is a little shite but nevertheless a very good player and he does what it says on the can SCORE GOALS and up to a certain point he is a cheat which is one of his very unexceptble traits but then again so was Maradona and he is and was lauded to the heavens(a player I might say I detest to me he is and was the epitome of what is bad in the game of football)
I must say I have a little pity for Suarez after Ivanovic kicked Suarez the whole match and safe to say as usual the ref saw nothing. Suarez is a player who when frustrated takes matters into his own hands (mouth) when so obviously not being protected by the officials (and we of all fans know what happens re the Barnes affair) it does look like the press have it in for Suarez but why when Rooney, Beckham, and a never ending list of bad boy British players have done far worse things(Vinny Jones tackle if that what you want to call it on one of our ex-players that broke his leg) and I can't remember was he sent of or even booked for that.
as I said before and now looks like the media agree
10 match ban
but do you think the FA will even speak to the ref about missing some of the most glaring incidents in that match.

not a fqqking chance

The fact that Ivanovic was getting away with his kicks and pulls on Suarez all afternoon still doesn't come close to justifying Suarez biting the guy though. Yes, Suarez had been provoked and finally "snapped", but quite how his brain is wired to make him suddenly think "thats it, I'm going to bite him" I have absolutely no idea. I can't relate to that. If it wasn't a case of him thinking before he did it, making it an instinctive reaction, then thats even more worrying. OK Suarez probably not the most polished button on the jacket, but there has to be a strange underlying malice for him to resort to what he did.

Will the FA speak to the ref ? Well, I doubt the assessor in the stands will be giving a glowing report on his performance, and refs with poor performances DO get demoted (inflicted) onto the Football League if their Prem performances are deemed not up to scratch. So it may not go without consequence.

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wish Gus would just refuse to answer these questions sometimes, or just say something like "I know Luis well and if he needs someone to talk to, or some advice, I'll be there for him." or something similar.

I wonder what Gus would be saying had an opposition player sunk his teeth into Adam El Abd? Probably not so forgiving.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ha, Gus is almost on a par with the rubbish Redknapp comes out with, of course you would leave the country if you had to manage Suarez.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
People blame the journalists for asking the questions and celebrate Gus' honesty in answering whatever is put to him.

But it is a vicious circle because the more he talks and serves up easy, headline grabbing copy, the more journalists will head down to Brighton / get him on the phone etc every time something like this happens.

If he stopped giving them such easy copy, they would stop asking him the questions.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Note, he is not condoning the bite, he is condemning the reaction to it. I pretty much agree with him.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
You're missing the point of the Interview. Poyet is not saying that what he done is acceptable.

However the purpose of Poyets interview is that other players do and get away with more and I have to agree.

Terry, Ferdinand, Beckham, Rooney have all been guilty of misdemeanours on and off the pitch.You also get players making career threatening & two footed challenges.

Footballers behaviour on the pitch in general would not be accepted in the workplace, try biting one of your colleagues at work, roll around on the floor if someone brushed past you, run after your boss shouting and swearing in his face, miss as many sales opportunities as they miss the goal,swear infront of everyone in the office or the shop floor infront of customers, women and children. Football is a law unto itself, becuase Suarez scores goals for Liverpool he is somewhat treated differently, so Gus stop going on about the media, you know exactly what you are doing, your lucky your 45 minutes anbsence against Burnley last year isn't reported widely!Do what you have done well this season and keep our momentum going!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Not that different to what GNEV made of it

The difference? Neville is paid to discuss this sort of thing, Poyet is paid to manage Brighton & Hove Albion. Absolute tool.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I personally think the Suarez bite was great entertainment - nobody was hurt and it was the most exciting thing to happen in the Premier League in weeks.

This is Gus's point. We are supposed to be entertained by the football, but in this country what we really love is the drama.

Any chance to feel outraged, we love it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't care two hoots what happens to Suarez. I just wish Gus wouldn't act as such a rent-a-quote for the national press.

He has given more quotes on this issue / punishment etc than when one of his own players tried to trip up a ref.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't care two hoots what happens to Suarez. I just wish Gus wouldn't act as such a rent-a-quote for the national press.

He has given more quotes on this issue / punishment etc than when one of his own players tried to trip up a ref.

Quite right. He handles his own players in house.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If Gary Neville continues with such sensible punditry he'll be out of a job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here