Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus at it again, defending Suarez that is.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he is right about double standards by the FA. There are clear pictures in all of the press showing the ref looking at the bite marks on Ivanovic arm so he saw it and decided to take no action, which is what the FA quote if they dont or cant charge a player to take retrospective action; because it suits them they can in this case

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Didn't Oatway bite someone years ago?

Are we supposed to hate him as well now?

Awwwwww if only the media could tell me what to think!!

Rugby players have bitten ears off, Tyson bit Holyfield and footballers have bitten each other for years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is worse to bite a players arm or make a lunging over the top tackle that could finish his career, as per the recent incident with a Wigan player. As a player I wouldnt want either particularly but given a choice I know where my vote would go.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I believe his perception of England and the press is correct, and using this issue as an example is fine. Interesting article.

Telling our manager to not answer questions or give opinions is a little precious.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"He tried to bite someone in the arm. No harm really, a little pain".

I'm sorry Gus, but this is crap. He didn't TRY to bite someone on the arm, he DID bite someone on the arm, and it was hardly a quick nibble either - Ivanovic had to physically shove his head off to get him to release. Whether there was harm or pain is neither here nor there, its just not acceptable on a football pitch (well, anywhere for that matter). It IS indefensible.

Yes the press are leaping all over it, and yes its because its their favourite whipping boy, but its his own stupid fault for having SO MUCH previous. He's already had a substantial ban for biting a player on the shoulder. He's had the Evra racism scandal. He openly celebrated his blatant cheating which knocked Ghana out of the World Cup. He's probably got a charge pending for punching Jara Reyes. He's a known diver and cheat - which is nothing unusual in the game, but when you add it to the rest of his antics, its hardly surprising that when this odious tool has his next "episode" on the pitch, the press will be all over it like a tramp on chips.

How would Gus react if (say) Ulloa got himself a hefty ban for committing the same offence during our crucial run-in ? Ruled himself out for the rest of the season and the Playoffs, for taking leave of his senses in a moment of madness and biting an opponent ? Would it be everyone elses fault for picking on a foreigner again ? Cos I'd be cuffing LIVID with him.

As ever with this, I really, really wish Gus would just say "I am manager of Brighton, I am not here to talk about other clubs players". Would that really be so hard ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He has a point re leg breaking tackles but biting and spitting will never be accepted in English football. I think a headbutt would have received less coverage. You'd want Gus in a foxhole with you in a battle though wouldn't you?

I was hoping he'd keep schtum this time but he is what he is and I'm not sure that I'd want him to change.
This.

Although I wasn't hoping he'd keep schtum, I don't care really. If it was really as bad as some people make out why did the FA decide a yellow card was enough for Defoe?

He's missing the point completely when comparing it with a bad tackle or the like. I'm sure we can all to some extent or other empathise with someone who's angry and gone in 'over the top' or whatever, but I doubt many of us can relate to what Suarez did. It was irrational and simply off the radar of a 'normal' reaction. He has got issues and needs to address them, regardless of the country he happens to be playing in.
Indeed it is harder for us to relate to Suarez's strange action - but just because it's harder to relate to, doesn't make it worse that an over-the top challenge. Some challenges are poorly timed etc, but some are dangerous from the moment the play decides to make it.

Put it this way, I'd rather Suarez bite me, than someone try and break my leg.

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Gus is correct, in the main. However, Suarez has done this before. He has also been banned for a racist comment. Therefore, his situation is different and will be treated differently. If Gus cannot understand that then he needs to have a rethink.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
"He tried to bite someone in the arm. No harm really, a little pain".

I'm sorry Gus, but this is crap. He didn't TRY to bite someone on the arm, he DID bite someone on the arm, and it was hardly a quick nibble either - Ivanovic had to physically shove his head off to get him to release. Whether there was harm or pain is neither here nor there, its just not acceptable on a football pitch (well, anywhere for that matter). It IS indefensible.

Yes the press are leaping all over it, and yes its because its their favourite whipping boy, but its his own stupid fault for having SO MUCH previous. He's already had a substantial ban for biting a player on the shoulder. He's had the Evra racism scandal. He openly celebrated his blatant cheating which knocked Ghana out of the World Cup. He's probably got a charge pending for punching Jara Reyes. He's a known diver and cheat - which is nothing unusual in the game, but when you add it to the rest of his antics, its hardly surprising that when this odious tool has his next "episode" on the pitch, the press will be all over it like a tramp on chips.

How would Gus react if (say) Ulloa got himself a hefty ban for committing the same offence during our crucial run-in ? Ruled himself out for the rest of the season and the Playoffs, for taking leave of his senses in a moment of madness and biting an opponent ? Would it be everyone elses fault for picking on a foreigner again ? Cos I'd be cuffing LIVID with him.

As ever with this, I really, really wish Gus would just say "I am manager of Brighton, I am not here to talk about other clubs players". Would that really be so hard ?

Basically I agree with this.

Even though I admire him being loyal to a mate (because that takes some guts too in current feeding frenzy), I think you could still say 'He knows he shouldn't have done this' and leave it there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I believe his perception of England and the press is correct, and using this issue as an example is fine. Interesting article.

Telling our manager to not answer questions or give opinions is a little precious.

It's not just the press. A listener to Radio 2 yesterday wanted the police involved for goodness sake.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not sure that "Not Biting People" can really be considered "Politically Correct"... I've been taught, since the age of about 2, that it's "Correct", not sure that I really understood politics until much later in life!

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
To be fair, it wasn't ACTUALLY a racist comment - it was just a cultural misunderstanding. It's sometimes easy to forget that we live in a country where political correctness has gone mad. As Gus explained at the time, and a little bit of research will back him up, the term "negrito" is a term of endearment in that language - whereas in ours any term referring to skin colour is pretty much condemned as racism.

Although naturally the media doesn't care about this, it is much more in their interest to demonise him as it sells more papers, which is pretty much what is happening again with this very minor incident.

Anyone who thinks Suarez used the word as a "term of endearment" is deluded. Perhaps, just perhaps, he knew what reaction it would draw from Evra? My thoughts on the matter have f*** all to do with the media reporting of it seeing as I am not sheep.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Comparing bad tackling and biting is stupid. One is a misjudgement within the game the other belongs in boxing.

Gus is becoming Holloway - rent a quote.

If you believe that all bad tackles are "simply a misjudgement" then you are either desperately naive or a simpleton.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If we go up to the EPL. Suarez to join Brighton.

I actually think there is something in this, maybe not Brighton but Poyet is acting with one eye on the future.

Gus thinks he is going to manage a very big club one day, and he would be very well placed to lure Suarez at that time. Being the only man backing him in the past wouldn't do that situation any harm whatsoever.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Shame that Gus feels he needs to comment. Suarez and LFC acted correctly and quickly to try and reduce the media outcry after what was a total embarrassment to their club and fans. The media not getting any juice out of the Chelsea defender were left to find sound bites where they could and Gus obliged. Evra walking around OT biting a plastic limb during his victory lap was quite humorous though.
He has his fine, the money goes to charity, he will get banned for probably 6/7 games requiring the owners to purchase a decent striker in the summer to cover which will also keep the fans happy. Chelsea look good taking the moral ground, and the media sells loads of papers. Gus once again in the headlines with his statesman like quotes.
You could say it was a win, win, win win scenario.

D

Deleted member 18477

I'd rather be bitten than have someone try and break my legs, or elbow me in the face, or headbutt me.

The media are boring! It was balotelli... Now it's Suarez.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
On average Suarez bites a player every 168 games. Jamie Carragher scores a goal every 180 games. So watching a Liverpool game you're more likely to see Saurez bite a player than Carragher score.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
What Suarez did was unacceptable, he apologised, was fined and will get a lengthy ban, end of. Gus has a point, the media and certain other football "celebrities" Have to been seen as being shocked and appalled, to sell copies and to keep their mush in the media spotlight. I like Gus's honesty when asked questions, i wasn't so keen when Gus defended Suarez over the race incident but on this I think he's spot on.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
over the top tackles compared to biting?
How about putting them both in the same category; WRONG and BAD SPORTSMANSHIP.

Gus wants to take cheaters abroad? ok then, we invented this game so we stick to our rules and standards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here