Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus at it again, defending Suarez that is.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Predictable posts on this thread, although not binfest outrage levels yet, I guess we've got all day :lolol:

There are two things that cause this 1) Gus Poyet is still box office 2) If you ask Gus Poyet a question he gives an honest answer.

The media know it, after last time they've probably been fighting each other on his lawn to get a quote out of him. As it is, he hasn't actually said anything controversial.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The most strange thing here for me is that it's a Times "exclusive". Can't see Gus really giving them an exclusive when he's usually so keen to talk to the local press. You don't think a reporter has made up this story, do you?

At least some of those quotes are the same as what appears in another thread on here reporting gus's appearance on channel four last night.

I told my kids when they were about 2 or 3 years old that biting people is wrong. I remember when I was at infants school if someone bit another they were made to wear a sign saying "I bite"

Shut up Gus.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
"People want to be in the spotlight and to be controversial" Gus Poyet tells The Times...

... as he wades in yet again to support Luis Suarez over another stupid incident caused by the player himself (and no one else). Seriously Gus, leave it alone

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I told my kids when they were about 2 or 3 years old that biting people is wrong. I remember when I was at infants school if someone bit another they were made to wear a sign saying "I bite"

Well now you know how to deal with it, Lord Gus has spoken: Become the headmaster at another school and take the kids with you.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He's missing the point completely when comparing it with a bad tackle or the like. I'm sure we can all to some extent or other empathise with someone who's angry and gone in 'over the top' or whatever, but I doubt many of us can relate to what Suarez did. It was irrational and simply off the radar of a 'normal' reaction. He has got issues and needs to address them, regardless of the country he happens to be playing in.

I agree with this, it is not a normal action for a man, but I also agree with Gus that the hypocrisy of it when highlighting issues with certain players.

I can't condone what Suarez has done and I think it was a rather childish/girlie action, but far worse are the intentional acts that get less publicity and action from the controlling bodies. The one that we see in most games that I hate is the intentional elbow, to me that really is assault.
Look at the incident with Jedinak recently, where he had a fractured eye socket, all seen on TV but barely a paragraph mentioned in the papers next day and certainly not the TV time spent discussing this that the childish Suarez action has, that caused what injury?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
It is so funny how many people are quick to be critical of Gus. If you actually read it, he never once said that biting is right. He said that so many other things go unnoticed and it is always Suarez thrust into the public's eye.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I agree with this, it is not a normal action for a man, but I also agree with Gus that the hypocrisy of it when highlighting issues with certain players.

I can't condone what Suarez has done and I think it was a rather childish/girlie action, but far worse are the intentional acts that get less publicity and action from the controlling bodies. The one that we see in most games that I hate is the intentional elbow, to me that really is assault.
Look at the incident with Jedinak recently, where he had a fractured eye socket, all seen on TV but barely a paragraph mentioned in the papers next day and certainly not the TV time spent discussing this that the childish Suarez action has, that caused what injury?

Good point.

Knew nothing about that incident myself.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I agree with him on this one for several reasons:

1) Suarez does get singled out for his behaviour (but he does do silly things);
2) This fuss about Suarez now being ruled out for footballer of the year for his antics irritates me because Bale has been cheating all season;
3) We are more focused on biting and spitting, players who break legs are often sympathised with in the press more than those who get their legs broken (Shawcross is an example);
4) Suarez is the "villain" in the Prem this year so he has a spotlight on him all the time now.

That said, as an individual incident, it should be dealt with effectively by both the club and the League.

Spoon

May 31, 2009
"People want to be in the spotlight and to be controversial" Gus Poyet tells The Times...

... as he wades in yet again to support Luis Suarez over another stupid incident caused by the player himself (and no one else). Seriously Gus, leave it alone

thought exactly the same myself! Using hypocrisy to denounce hypocrisy..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree with him on this one for several reasons:

1) Suarez does get singled out for his behaviour (but he does do silly things);
2) This fuss about Suarez now being ruled out for footballer of the year for his antics irritates me because Bale has been cheating all season;
3) We are more focused on biting and spitting, players who break legs are often sympathised with in the press more than those who get their legs broken (Shawcross is an example);
4) Suarez is the "villain" in the Prem this year so he has a spotlight on him all the time now.

That said, as an individual incident, it should be dealt with effectively by both the club and the League.

The media love a feeding frenzy.

Comparing bad tackling and biting is stupid. One is a misjudgement within the game the other belongs in boxing.

Gus is becoming Holloway - rent a quote.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Comparing bad tackling and biting is stupid. One is a misjudgement within the game the other belongs in boxing.

Gus is becoming Holloway - rent a quote.

Leg breaking tackles aren't just "misjudgements", they are also people losing their temper and doing something they wouldn't do elsewhere, they are also people (Roy keane, allegedly) deliberately hurting an opponent. The comparison isn't far fetched, it just needs clarification.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
There aren't many Uruguayans playing in this country,so when Suarez acts as he does,inevitably the media look to Uruguayan Gus for comment.They know what thet'll get.We know what he'll say,more or less.No big deal.

My country right or wrong.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
if, and it is still an 'if', we get to the premiership, I can think of 2 managers already in SAF and now Rodgers who are going to think 'keep your nose out of my club's business and keep your thoughts to yourself' and if they have a half decent squad player they want to loan out, they wont be thinking BHA to send to because of these types of unnecessary comments on matters that have absolutely nil to do with BHA and GP.... Rodgers will read this and think GP is saying I know better than you how to handle LS....plain and simple he's a media tart and like the clown Holloway, the media know he's guaranteed to say something that is easy to manipulate in a less than good way!....

TWO TRIBES

Jul 15, 2012
HERSTMONCEUX
If GP wanted to make himself popular in the press he should have said nothing regarding suarez and praised the discipline and self control of Ivanovic.. he should be applauded...I am sure that most of us would have turned round and floored Suarez...when you look at it again it is not quite as spontaneous as the press are suggesting he grabs his arm , picks his spot and sinks his teeth in...``Whats that all about Gus , its certainly nothing to do with football.....

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Didn't Oatway bite someone years ago?

Are we supposed to hate him as well now?

Awwwwww if only the media could tell me what to think!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here