Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grrrrr....football phrases

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Early doors.

WTF are early doors?!

Simply, getting in early, often used to mean getting in the pub as soon as the doors open - go for a beer early doors.

Could also mean scoring after 17 seconds - getting a goal early doors ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"box to box midfielder" The area between the boxes is the midfield.
"shot stopper" as a quality of a goalkeeper. It's like saying one of Gordon Ramsey strengths as a chef is that he's a good cook, or that as a Singer, Mariah Carey's strenghts lay in her vocals. Stopping shots is goalkeeping.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
The one that is driving me mad for some strange reason is when Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday says ' oh he's hit the beans ' for beans on toast ' post '.
don't know why it gets on my tits it just does.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hate it when players/managers/pundits refer to winning football matches of referring to their football club. We know the f'ing sport! We didn't think you were pissing bowls players!

For some reason, it REALLY winds me up.

This, this, this! Exactly what I posted last time we had a thread a bit like this, but none the worse for repetition!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Simply, getting in early, often used to mean getting in the pub as soon as the doors open - go for a beer early doors.

Could also mean scoring after 17 seconds - getting a goal early doors ?

I always thought "early doors" referred to theatres, music halls and similar places opening their doors in advance of the time when the advertised entertainment was due to begin

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
"shot stopper" as a quality of a goalkeeper. It's like saying one of Gordon Ramsey strengths as a chef is that he's a good cook, or that as a Singer, Mariah Carey's strenghts lay in her vocals. Stopping shots is goalkeeping.

Have to slightly disagree. I think Mark Beeney was a good example of this, perhaps John Keeley too. They often made some very good saves, sometimes outstanding in that department. But what stopped them from reaching the highest levels was other aspects such as positional sense. It's one phrase that I can comprehend.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I hate it when, During the transfer window, they're trying to get things "over the line".

As mentioned earlier, tekkers and worldie.

The Premier League being called the EPL- factually inaccurate, and made up for foreign audiences.

Hovespur

Feb 28, 2012
Warning Pedant Alert!

There are at least 16 football teams called Arsenal:

1. ASV-Arsenal
The Football Association ASV Arsenal is a a special club from Holland. In 1988, the associations ASV Arsenal and Nedlloyd'70 merged in the Football Association ASV Arsenal. The club have 12 senior teams and 16 youth teams play outdoor football in the 2005/06 season. And there are 15 teams play indoor football. They also have 6 teams playing futsal. The club focuses on recreational soccer. They have a motto in Dutch“SPORT MOET SPEL BLIJVEN en SPELEN IS DELEN”

2. Arsenal ADSC

3. Arsenal Bila Tserkva
FC Arsenal-Kyivshchyna Bila Tserkva was found in 2006 and it was name FC Arsenal Bila Tserkva. The name was changed on June 2013. It is a Ukrainian professional team from Bila Tserkva in Kiev Oblast. In 2007, the club was entered the Ukrainian Second League. In 2009 the club was promoted to the Ukrainian First League via a playoff game. The club's colours are red and white.

4. Arsenal Devesa

5. Arsenal F.C.
Arsenal F.C. was founded in 1886. The club is an English Premier League football club based in London. It is one of the most successful football culbs with won 13 Firtst Division and Premier League titles and 10 FA Cups.The club is also one of the most valuable football club in the world.

6. Arsenal Helsinki

7. Arsenal Kyiv
Football Club Arsenal Kyiv was founded on 18 December 2001. It is a Ukrainian professional football club based in Kiev. After the 2000 financial crisis at CSKA,the Kyiv city government on the initiative of Oleksandr Omelchenko bought the club in 2001 reorganizing it under the name of Arsenal grandfathering everything from CSKA Kyiv.

8. Arsenal Tivat
FK Arsenal Tivat is a Montenegrin football club and based in the town of Tivat. The club was founded in 1914. It currently paly in Montenegrin Second League. The club have won champion title of Montenegro in 1935/36 season, and achieved 5th place in the Montenegrin Second League in 2006.

9. Arsenal Tula
FC Arsenal Tula is a Russian football team from Tula. The team was founded in 1946 and named FC Zenit Tula. It has changed the team name 9 time in its history. Until 2012, the team played in the Amateur Football League.

10. Arsenal de Caridade
Arsenal de Caridade was founded on may 2007. In 2009, the club made a good campaign in the Third Division Ceará. The colors of the uniform of the Arsenal Charity are red, yellow, blue and white. The home uniform of the club consists of orange shirt and short, and blue socks.

11. Arsenal de Roatán
Arsenal de Roatán was founded in 1999. It is a Honduran football team based in Roatan. Now it plays in Liga de Ascenso de Honduras. Their traditional color of shirt is all white with red trims.

12. Arsenal de Sarandí
Arsenal Fútbol Club is an Argentine sports club from the Sarandí, it usually called as Arsenal de Sarandí. The club was founded on January 1957. Arsenal de Sarandí currently plays in Primera División, and has won its first Primera División championship in 2012.

13. Arsenal de Viale

14. Atlético Arsenal

15. Berekum Arsenal
Berekum Arsenal Football Club was founded in 1978. It is an Ghanaian football club located in Berekum. The club plays in Ghana Telecom Premier League. Their name and uniform are are inspired by Arsenal F.C.

16. FK Arsenal Česká Lípa
Arsenal Česká Lípa was founded in 1927, it is a Czech football club based in Česká Lípa. It currently plays in the third tier of Czech football, the Bohemian Football League.
Pedant alert but it was woolwich Arsenal that were formed in 1886 not Arsenal f.c

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have to slightly disagree. I think Mark Beeney was a good example of this, perhaps John Keeley too. They often made some very good saves, sometimes outstanding in that department. But what stopped them from reaching the highest levels was other aspects such as positional sense. It's one phrase that I can comprehend.

If you can't stop shots, you won't last as a goalkeeper. It is redundant. There are other areas of goalkeeper that can be a positive or a negative in your game (command of the area, distribution), stopping shots is the one bit of the job that is a must have for every goalkeeper.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The one that annoys me is things such as 'Oh, and he's stopped a certain goal with that save'

Yep, that's the idea of a goalkeeper

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

but not all midfielders will cover the entire area well, many will dominate in one portion but not others. besides i think the saying means they are involved in the box either end, covering defense and getting in goal scoring/assisting positions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here