[Football] Greenwood and foden

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it's to do with setting the culture where everyone knows how they will be treated if they transgress. Picking Maguire sent a clear signal to go push some boundaries.

In fairness Maguire claims that he was fighting off the Albanian Mafia.

A late entry for the Booker Prize for Fiction.

Poor old Southgate, typically British players giving him challenges a plenty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have to say I'm a little bit surprised that there wasn't any management oversight to prevent things like this happening.
Do they just assume that everyone will toe the line and behave themselves?

The whole concept of the "bubble" protocols being adhered to by relying on an honour system, within a group of wealthy young men, seems a little bit flawed to me.

With the £B’s sloshing around in football in this country, you’d like to think that the FA could afford a few security guys to police the CV19 free bubble .... both incomings and those leaving it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Foden and Greenwood were stupid, but I'd argue they were doubly stupid, as given Southgate has let Maguire get off lightly he cannot be seen to be as lenient next time around.

There are already question marks about his judgement and his strength as a manager. He's taken too long to axe Stones, Keane, Dier and now - arguably - Walker. These two lads should have been scared stiff of the consequences of f*cking up in the wake of the Maguire affair, yet here we are.

The squad has talent but the worry now is they don't have the discipline or intelligence to keep things together. It's ironic that Grealish has been punished, seemingly for his indiscretions, yet now Foden and Greenwood have ballsd up too. We've been here before with England though - it never seems to happen with the Germans.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The squad has talent but the worry now is they don't have the discipline or intelligence to keep things together. It's ironic that Grealish has been punished, seemingly for his indiscretions, yet now Foden and Greenwood have ballsd up too. We've been here before with England though - it never seems to happen with the Germans.

Think stuff like this happens all the time all over the world, with the difference that media in most countries are not obsessed with what celebrities are doing 24/7. I'm quite sure Germany have had a couple of players drinking beer and shagging some women when they shouldnt have, with the difference being that no one besides glossy gossip magasines really cares.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Think stuff like this happens all the time all over the world, with the difference that media in most countries are not obsessed with what celebrities are doing 24/7. I'm quite sure Germany have had a couple of players drinking beer and shagging some women when they shouldnt have, with the difference being that no one besides glossy gossip magasines really cares.

You might be right, but in my 52 years I'm struggling to think of any story of a top German international f*cking up whilst on international duty.

I see Sancho was fined by the German league for getting a haircut in his home, thus breaching lockdown rules. Sancho described the rules as a joke, but he would because he's young and British. For me, it is this sort of attention to detail that makes them different to us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Players have been sleeping with countless women over all eras, Wimbledon players in the 90’s called it playing away to be cheating on their wives. The same as rock and pop stars, they did as they pleased, it was very rarely reported on, seldom any moral outcry. Lauded as lads. When it did reach the desk of papers, in one instance Gary Flitcroft of ManC/Blackburn spent 6 figures in legal fees on a super injunction to prevent his wife finding out about his affairs.

This is news because of CV19, acting professionally whilst representing your country. They had the bubble rules explained to them.

In the same way that Aberdeen and Celtic players have just been done for breaking the rules, as did England cricketer Archer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Players have been sleeping with countless women over all eras, Wimbledon players in the 90’s called it playing away to be cheating on their wives. The same as rock and pop stars, they did as they pleased, it was very rarely reported on, seldom any moral outcry. Lauded as lads. When it did reach the desk of papers, in one instance Gary Flitcroft of ManC/Blackburn spent 6 figures in legal fees on a super injunction to prevent his wife finding out about his affairs.

This is news because of CV19, acting professionally whilst representing your country. They had the bubble rules explained to them.

In the same way that Aberdeen and Celtic players have just been done for breaking the rules, as did England cricketer Archer.

They’ve also broken the law in Iceland, not just the FA rules.....I have no doubt the instructions they would have had pre-trip were explicit and regularly repeated (and I suspect they signed a ‘code of conduct’ in relation to Covid), but I guess the often-seen combo of arrogance and stupidity overrides that, obviously [emoji849][emoji849]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ordinarily a couple of 18-20 year old players having some local slappers up to their room on an England trip would obviously be unwise (particularly in Foden's case, when he already has a doris and a sprog) but no big deal. However these are not normal times. The FA and the Icelandic FA will have moved heaven and earth to preserve the covid bubble, to make it as safe as possible for every single squad member involved in this fixture to play it out safely with minimal risk, from travel, to accommodation, to matchday. So to have that completely blown out of the water by a couple of dim horny ratboys pissing about with their phones on the local Tinder (or whatever it was) - I was going to say defies belief. But it doesn't.

So many footballers are weapons-grade highly enriched 24 carat DILBERTS that all you can do sometimes is to just stand back and gawp.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am astonished that people are trying to defend this behaviour.

In a global pandemic where new fathers have been unable to be with their partners in hospital during childbirth, where elderly people have died alone in understaffed care homes and hospices. Where honest, hard-working people have adhered to the rules in order to prevent the spread of Covid, often bringing them great personal, emotional and financial hardship.

In this world, two professional footballers, representing their country, who have been fully and repeatedly briefed about their responsibilities as ambassadors and role models to millions. Scratch that, simply as human beings. Multi-millionaires both, decide the rules simply don't apply to them. After all, they're rich celebrities forced into the cruel fate of being holed up in a 5* Icelandic hotel for literally DAYS on end. I imagine it's hell.

Of course, the only possible release from such a dreadful fate would be to shag some beautiful Icelandic women. It's only fair. It's the least they deserve after everything they've been through, having to train - sometimes for several hours a day even. Then playing football matches on top of that?

Oh and if the complete deafness, lack of humility and incredible arrogance of these spoilt morons isn't enough, it's worth noting that Foden has a 1 year old child and wife waiting at home, while he's figuring out how to "sneak girls into his hotel".

People are watching loved ones die from this disease. Taking days off work from their underpaid salaried job in order to arrange funerals, support grieving loved ones, organise probate. Maybe they earn minimum wage. Maybe they are losing money they desperately need to support their family every day they miss from work, because their loved one caught Covid.

I don't see how anyone can possibly defend a married multimillionaire footballer's rights to shag a beauty queens he just snuck into a hotel (and potentially endangering lives)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

In a global pandemic where new fathers have been unable to be with their partners in hospital during childbirth, where elderly people have died alone in understaffed care homes and hospices. Where honest, hard-working people have adhered to the rules in order to prevent the spread of Covid, often bringing them great personal, emotional and financial hardship.

In this world, two professional footballers, representing their country, who have been fully and repeatedly briefed about their responsibilities as ambassadors and role models to millions. Scratch that, simply as human beings. Multi-millionaires both, decide the rules simply don't apply to them. After all, they're rich celebrities forced into the cruel fate of being holed up in a 5* Icelandic hotel for literally DAYS on end. I imagine it's hell.

Of course, the only possible release from such a dreadful fate would be to shag some beautiful Icelandic women. It's only fair. It's the least they deserve after everything they've been through, having to train - sometimes for several hours a day even. Then playing football matches on top of that?

Oh and if the complete deafness, lack of humility and incredible arrogance of these spoilt morons isn't enough, it's worth noting that Foden has a 1 year old child and wife waiting at home, while he's figuring out how to "sneak girls into his hotel".

People are watching loved ones die from this disease. Taking days off work from their underpaid salaried job in order to arrange funerals, support grieving loved ones, organise probate. Maybe they earn minimum wage. Maybe they are losing money they desperately need to support their family every day they miss from work, because their loved one caught Covid.

I don't see how anyone can possibly defend a married multimillionaire footballer's rights to shag a beauty queens he just snuck into a hotel (and potentially endangering lives)

Thread closed?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Beautifully put.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't. I love my country, accepting we're actually a bit shit, often dull and not top level. The Everton's of world football!

I do find though being English is often a big emotional contradiction, on one hand immsensly proud of history, achievements and diversity and on the other, the many chavvy England fans in their sports direct clobber. Totally nauseating Muppets, Especially abroad, they can often make me feel embarrassed I'm English.

But the 3 lions will always be supported.

I put team not country

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Who’s defending their behaviour? This entire thread has been bashing them, no defending that I see.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This may be the undoing of Southgate.

The tabloids love to find an angle to hound the England manager over, this could be it.

And to be fair it’s of his own doing. He sends the boys home but keeps prisoner Harry who, as things currently stand, WAS convicted of assaulting a police officer and attempting to bribe them. The hypocrisy is pretty galling.

And as others have mentioned Walker and his sex Covid parties and Dier assaulting a fan. All picked, all straight in the squad. Is it any wonder the young lads have no discipline.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

So this. The little shits should have your post read to them

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You might be right, but in my 52 years I'm struggling to think of any story of a top German international f*cking up whilst on international duty.

I see Sancho was fined by the German league for getting a haircut in his home, thus breaching lockdown rules. Sancho described the rules as a joke, but he would because he's young and British. For me, it is this sort of attention to detail that makes them different to us.

I think you’re right Pav.

If I recall reading, the German national team were not allowed to see their spouses before key games or have sex (how they policed that I don’t know).

But you look at our lot, every tournament the WAGs are out. Our players complain of “getting bored” in a 5 star hotel for 3-4 weeks. And these are lavish hotels, top end, with gyms, video games I’m sure, cinemas, top range food. Laughable, really.

I don’t like the word, but generally there’s always been a lack of discipline or professionalism with our players. It may be societal rather than football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports