Votes: 87 68.0%
  • Madness

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I saw The Jam several times, and they were excellent live.

However...the band of the 80s? No way. Never. ALL their best music was released in the 70s, and they were definitely on the wane after Setting Suns. In my humble opinion.

And if they were 'a way of life' then I am glad that I had broader horizons. They were an excellent live band who released some great records (in the 70s), they were not a way of life.

The band of the 80s came from Manchester.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Mr Marr learning how it should be done from this 70s classic. Oh hold on, it was 80s.

There is no truth whatsoever that Weller wanted to follow it up with Girlfriend in a Coma.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Mr Marr learning how it should be done from this 70s classic. Oh hold on, it was 80s.

There is no truth whatsoever that Weller wanted to follow it up with Girlfriend in a Coma.

Yeah, that was from the 80s. And it wasn't as good as their stuff from the 70s. As I said, on the wane.

In my opinion.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Yeah, that was from the 80s. And it wasn't as good as their stuff from the 70s. As I said, on the wane.

In my opinion.

I agree that Setting Sons is the peak, an absolute masterpiece but Funeral Pyre, That's Entertainment and Ghosts are as good as anything on there, amongst others.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I agree that Setting Sons is the peak, an absolute masterpiece but Funeral Pyre, That's Entertainment and Ghosts are as good as anything on there, amongst others.

Well, there you go, opinions. I remember trying to like Sound Affects as much as their previous stuff, when it came out, but being really disappointed. I couldn't get into The Gift at all.

Some good songs on both, but nothing that got near their previous output.

All Mod Cons and Setting Sons remain two of my favourite albums, though.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Had this poll been posted in the US then the choice of 'Greatest British BAnd of the 80's' would have been Def Lepard V Iron MAiden, so lets quit moaning. For what its worth The Jam (or Weller ) had a huge influence on the British music scene for many years after their demise. Setting Sons and All Mod Cons are two of the best albums of the .......70's.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Had this poll been posted in the US then the choice of 'Greatest British BAnd of the 80's' would have been Def Lepard V Iron MAiden, so lets quit moaning. For what its worth The Jam (or Weller ) had a huge influence on the British music scene for many years after their demise. Setting Sons and All Mod Cons are two of the best albums of the .......70's.

quite right too

comparing the Smiths to Iron Maiden is like comparing Amir Khan to Lennox Lewis

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I LOVED the eighties and particularly loved indie but HATED the Smiths.... there son way I d have voted for them. A lot of respect for Jam and Madness byut perhaps Jam are more product of the late seventies. 3 albums in the seventies and the mod scene they drove was a seventies phenomenon so perhaps shouldn't even be in the competition. Madness only had one album in late 79 and the rest was eighties so a real eighties band, leading the Ska drive which was perhaps the first major music trend of the eighties, even before New Romanticism. Fantastic live band and horribly successful so have a real right to be in the final. Also the only band I know of that caused the equivalent of a minor earthquake at a gig.

If you want the best ban dog the eighties it isn't going to be an indie band, although most of my favs ARE indie. Kitchenware Records was a real phenomenon which has largely been forgotten. In terms of sales and real popularity the real winner would have to be U2... much has I hate anything they did after War.

So Madness is the most logical I suppose although all my favourites fell by the wayside long before the final. To be fair, Madness have fantastically reinvented themselves and anyone who poos-poos should have a listen The Liberty of Norton Felgate.... certainly NOT a commercial enterprise and incredibly clever.

I LOVED the eighties and particularly loved indie but HATED the Smiths.... there son way I d have voted for them. A lot of respect for Jam and Madness byut perhaps Jam are more product of the late seventies. 3 albums in the seventies and the mod scene they drove was a seventies phenomenon so perhaps shouldn't even be in the competition. Madness only had one album in late 79 and the rest was eighties so a real eighties band, leading the Ska drive which was perhaps the first major music trend of the eighties, even before New Romanticism. Fantastic live band and horribly successful so have a real right to be in the final. Also the only band I know of that caused the equivalent of a minor earthquake at a gig.

If you want the best ban dog the eighties it isn't going to be an indie band, although most of my favs ARE indie. Kitchenware Records was a real phenomenon which has largely been forgotten. In terms of sales and real popularity the real winner would have to be U2... much has I hate anything they did after War.

So Madness is the most logical I suppose although all my favourites fell by the wayside long before the final. To be fair, Madness have fantastically reinvented themselves and anyone who poos-poos should have a listen The Liberty of Norton Felgate.... certainly NOT a commercial enterprise and incredibly clever.

The title track of Norton Folgate is truly worth a listen

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
With The Jam, all four of their number one singles came in the 1980s. They definitely deserve a place in this poll. I really love the classic Jam sound of the late 1970s, but the band also deserve credit for the adventurousness of 1981 and 1982.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
It all comes down to whoever was around when you first got in to music. If you got into The Smiths at age 16 or so, then you were probably to young to appreciate The Jam, or indeed the influence that they had on Morrissey & Marr.

As someone who brought, and still plays on vinyl everything the two bands produced, as well as seeing both live, there is only one winner and that's The Jam by a comfortable margin.

Prince Monululu has already posted Marr on stage with Weller, and here is Morrissey destroying That's Entertainment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here