Votes: 87 68.0%
  • Madness

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm new to this contest but thank god the Smiths didn't make it anywhere near this final. Bunch of self-indulgent, whining, miserabilists. Good to see they got no popular support.

With the benefit of hindsight the best 80s band were probably The Fall. But as they're not in the final I've voted for the Jam. Love the Jam. And Madness come to that. But not the Smiths. Loathe the Smiths.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm new to this contest but thank god the Smiths didn't make it anywhere near this final. Bunch of self-indulgent, whining, miserabilists. Good to see they got no popular support.

With the benefit of hindsight the best 80s band were probably The Fall. But as they're not in the final I've voted for the Jam. Love the Jam. And Madness come to that. But not the Smiths. Loathe the Smiths.

I understand school disco types who are into Madness, not liking the Smiths. That's fine.

But HANG ON A MINUTE! The Smiths were self-indulgent miserabilists, but the best band of the 80s were The Fall?

Irony much? great though he is Mark E Smith is just about the most self indulgent and miserable bloke in world music!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I understand school disco types who are into Madness, not liking the Smiths. That's fine.

But HANG ON A MINUTE! The Smiths were self-indulgent miserabilists, but the best band of the 80s were The Fall?

Irony much?

The Fall did miserable, bitter, angry, rage, funny and exasperation. Comparing the Smiths to them is like comparing a dandelion to a mighty oak.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Fall did miserable, bitter, angry, rage, funny and exasperation. Comparing the Smiths to them is like comparing a dandelion to a mighty oak.

That's fine. You're clearly not familiar with much of the Smith's output. No worries.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I can't even bring myself to vote, did the Clash even make it out of the group stages? :nono:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I'm not a big Smiths fan, but I wouldn't call them a 'bunch' of miserabilists, Johnny Marr is a brilliant guitarist, Morrisey's vocals aren't everyone's cup of tea but musically they are very good.

I don't like or dislike The Fall, but I couldn't name any of their songs of the top of my head.

But I'm happy with one of my favourite bands , The Jam in the final.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm not a big Smiths fan, but I wouldn't call them a 'bunch' of miserabilists, Johnny Marr is a brilliant guitarist, Morrisey's vocals aren't everyone's cup of tea but musically they are very good.

You make a good point. Much as I dislike the Smith overall, I can see the originality of Marr's stuff. But he'd have been so much better without the preening, prat upfront.

My theory of music (and you'll be glad we waited for this) is that there are two types of rock musicians. Those who do it because they're compelled to do it and those who do it because they've been to drama school/wish they'd gone to drama school/crave adulation/really want to be actors and for everyone to love them. Into the latter camp we can throw all the smug, self-satisfied, self-mythologising sociopaths like David Bowie, Morrissey, Damon Albarn. Death to the lot of them in a fiery hell of their plastic pomposity.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You make a good point. Much as I dislike the Smith overalls, I can see the originality of Marr's stuff. But he'd have been so much better without the preening, prat upfront.

My theory of music (and you'll be glad we waited for this) is that there are two types of rock musicians. Those who do it because it's they're compelled to do it and those who do it because they've been to drama school/wish they'd gone to drama school/crave adulation/really want to be actors and for everyone to love them. Into the latter camp we can throw all the smug, self-satisfied, self-mythologising sociopaths like David Bowie, Morrissey, Damon Albarn. Death to the lot of them in a fiery hell of their plastic pomposity.

I posted in another round of this competition that Johnny Marr carried The Smiths, I expected to get slated for saying that, but nobody said a word.
I keep hearing Marr on the radio, I'm not sure if it's a single but it's called Easy Money, sounds nothing like The Smiths and worth a listen.

I can see where your coming from with your theory of music, but I wont agree 100% as I like some of Bowie's stuff, that doesn't mean I like him, so maybe I will agree.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I posted in another round of this competition that Johnny Marr carried The Smiths, I expected to get slated for saying that, but nobody said a word.
I keep hearing Marr on the radio, I'm not sure if it's a single but it's called Easy Money, sounds nothing like The Smiths and worth a listen.

I can see where your coming from with your theory of music, but I wont agree 100% as I like some of Bowie's stuff, that doesn't mean I like him, so maybe I will agree.

JM was the greatest musician in the band. You'll get no arguments on that from me, or from any Smiths fans I'd imagine.

The guy is a genius. His Smiths guitar work was incredible. His work on The The was great. Loved the Johnny Marr and the Healers album - much better than The Messenger IMO. easy Money is the new single yes. Decent enough. Bit MOR.

Morrissey is/was Morrissey. There are few, even hard core Smiths fans who will not admit the guy is a knob. A brilliant, charismatic, super-talented knob, but a knob no less.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
JM was the greatest musician in the band. You'll get no arguments on that from me, or from any Smiths fans I'd imagine.

The guy is a genius. His Smiths guitar work was incredible. His work on The The was great. Loved the Johnny Marr and the Healers album - much better than The Messenger IMO. easy Money is the new single yes. Decent enough. Bit MOR.

Morrissey is/was Morrissey. There are few, even hard core Smiths fans who will not admit the guy is a knob. A brilliant, charismatic, super-talented knob, but a knob no less.

Good points.
I'm guessing JM also has a new album, have you heard any of the other songs.

I can't add any more to what you have said about Morrisey.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good points.
I'm guessing JM also has a new album, have you heard any of the other songs.

I can't add any more to what you have said about Morrisey.

Easy Money is the first track. Not heard anything else yet.

The guy has barely put a foot wrong in 4 decades, though.

I even quite liked the much-maligned Electronic, with Sumner.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
There is 101 pages on that thread, sorry but could you explain what c86 means to an old git like me :rolleyes:

Is is a code for ' bands I haven't heard of ? ' :p

It was a tape given away with the NME in 1986 which has become shorthand for a specific type of lo-fi, melodic, indie-rock.

But yeah it's basically code for a specific type of band you haven't heard of, though I think I'm right in saying Primal Scream featured on the original tape. You may have heard of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here