Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was a tape given away with the NME in 1986 which has become shorthand for a specific type of lo-fi, melodic, indie-rock.

But yeah it's basically code for a specific type of band you haven't heard of, though I think I'm right in saying Primal Scream featured on the original tape. You may have heard of them.

Although the track sounded nothing like the Primal Scream he'll think he knows.

He might know the Jesus and Mary Chain...

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Unbelievable state of affairs. I can't vote for either. They're both shit.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was a tape given away with the NME in 1986 which has become shorthand for a specific type of lo-fi, melodic, indie-rock.

But yeah it's basically code for a specific type of band you haven't heard of, though I think I'm right in saying Primal Scream featured on the original tape. You may have heard of them.

Thanks, I would never have worked that out.

You are correct about Primal Scream.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Democracy is truly stupid today. Might as well vote for The Birdie Song as the song of the decade as either of these.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
In my idealism, I thought that music could bind people together, but this final is tearing us apart! The Smiths v The Fall, C86 v Music People Have Never Heard Of, Madness v The Jam. Stop it everyone, STOP IT! I think we all need to take a deep breath and listen to the remastered Dubnobasswithmyheadman.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Rather obviously the Smiths I'm afraid, so a spoilt ballot paper from me :rock:

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
May not have been the peoples final we all craved but it has created a reasonably entertaining musical shit fight.

I resisted the urge to vote for Madness just to annoy Pasta and went with the Jam who clearly wrote some of the best songs of the 80's.

Would have picked The Cure personally though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This is like voting for Joe Hart to be Man of the Match against San Marino, right?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Lots of dullness on here, The Jam played to 25,000 in 1982 alone in Brighton, more sold tickets than any band in any year before or since I reckon. All of these tinpot suggestions couldn't hold a candle to the wonderful Jam, a way of life, if you weren't there the excitement & the energy were just marvellous.
Stand out winners, no'one else will ever come close

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Lots of dullness on here, The Jam played to 25,000 in 1982 alone in Brighton, more sold tickets than any band in any year before or since I reckon. All of these tinpot suggestions couldn't hold a candle to the wonderful Jam, a way of life, if you weren't there the excitement & the energy were just marvellous.
Stand out winners, no'one else will ever come close

I saw The Jam several times, and they were excellent live.

However...the band of the 80s? No way. Never. ALL their best music was released in the 70s, and they were definitely on the wane after Setting Suns. In my humble opinion.

And if they were 'a way of life' then I am glad that I had broader horizons. They were an excellent live band who released some great records (in the 70s), they were not a way of life.

The band of the 80s came from Manchester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here