Great British Bake Off: BBC loses rights to Channel 4

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
That is a very odd concept. I've seen it a couple of times. It's strangely compelling and boring at the same time. I was left confused as to who would apply to go on that and put yourself through such an horrific experience. Mental.

(Naked Attraction) This is one of the most bizarre shows I've ever seen (just half an episode, honest). Its completely arse-about-face (pun intended). After they have been paraded nude in front of their suitor, if chosen, they go off on a fully clothed date.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sounds like Love Productions were being a tad greedy here. Could they end up killing the Golden Goose?

BBC Website

"It isn't about the amount of money unless that amount of money is less than £25m. Then it is absolutely about the amount of money".

I shall be boycotting next year.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I wandered into the Sandwich shop today and noticed this is front page of the Sun

In summary if you want to watch Bake off from next year :

You have to press ''4'' instead of ''1''on the remote control
You have to forward through the Cillit bang and Go Compare adverts.

If ever there was a definition of a first world problem this is it. Some of you bell cheeses are even talking about boycotting it. For what exactly?

FFS.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So what have C4 bought? Are Paul and Mary signed up? If not, they are going to have one heck of a job getting it to fly.

And what stops someone else starting a baking-based TV show?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So what have C4 bought? Are Paul and Mary signed up? If not, they are going to have one heck of a job getting it to fly.

And what stops someone else starting a baking-based TV show?

Paul & Mary aren't signed up yet, so I can see that going too. If they go, I won't watch it anymore.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have never seen it. Is it good? When I first heard if it a couple of years ago and heard who hosted it and what the subject matter was I genuinely assumed it was broadcast at something like 3 in the afternoon for the workshy or retired, akin to Watercolour challenge. Was quite surprised to find out it was a prime time blockbuster rather than a "Good Morning Jobless" filler. Bonkers

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You wouldn't say that if you'd been unfortunate enough to see Naked Attraction as I was the other evening when it followed the Paralympics coverage.

A dating game where someone selects from a group of naked people who have their bodies slowly revealed bit by bit, starting with their genitalia, which prompts the first in-depth conversation on preference and past experiences. Nothing is hidden nor masked. Quite bizarre.

Been watching Naked Attraction since it started, never missed an episode yet, lots of clunge and titties on view.
Some geezer had a ring right through his bell end the other week and he was chosen by the girl, I must be getting old, the presenter should get her draws off as well, if Chegwin can do it so can she.

Regarding bake off I neither love it or hate it, if it's on and I'm in the room I will watch it.
On Jeremy Vine today a woman had to pull over and stop in her car, she was crying because the BBC had lost the programme, very strange behaviour .

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Been watching Naked Attraction since it started, never missed an episode yet, lots of clunge and titties on view.
Some geezer had a ring right through his bell end the other week and he was chosen by the girl, I must be getting old, the presenter should get her draws off as well, if Chegwin can do it so can she.

Regarding bake off I neither love it or hate it, if it's on and I'm in the room I will watch it.
On Jeremy Vine today a woman had to pull over and stop in her car, she was crying because the BBC had lost the programme, very strange behaviour .
Yeah the only thing I find bizarre is that some people would prefer to watch a cake than a pair of tits.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
In the history of TV programmes in this country, have there been many examples of TV shows that have flourished after moving from 1 TV station to another?

The only example I can think of is Men Behaving Badly, which ITV got rid of after 2 series and BBC bought the rights. They then moved it to a post-Watershed slot where the material could be a bit more outrageous and it flourished. That aside, I'm struggling to think of any other examples where a show has done better after it has moved channels.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Maybe the reason is Love productions is 70% owned by Sky................think of all the advertising income on C4 or the chance for Murdoch to hasten the demise of the BBC .
Oh and Masterchef production company Shine is 50% Murdoch owned !

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
This idea seems half baked to me. Like someone didn't proof read the recipe. But I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Hope it doesn't go stale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports