Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great British Bake Off: BBC loses rights to Channel 4

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You wouldn't say that if you'd been unfortunate enough to see Naked Attraction as I was the other evening when it followed the Paralympics coverage.

A dating game where someone selects from a group of naked people who have their bodies slowly revealed bit by bit, starting with their genitalia, which prompts the first in-depth conversation on preference and past experiences. Nothing is hidden nor masked. Quite bizarre.

That is a very odd concept. I've seen it a couple of times. It's strangely compelling and boring at the same time. I was left confused as to who would apply to go on that and put yourself through such an horrific experience. Mental.

boik

I don't watch it myself, but I do know that it doesn't make you clever to be super snidey about something that other people like. Why shouldn't there be something on TV for people who aren't as clever as you?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I honestly don't get how watching people baking can be even remotely interesting or entertaining. A show about...cakes. I'd just as soon watch somebody build a shed every week.

My girlfriend, an amateur baker, finds it incredibly interesting. I have a vested interest as well; she usually makes one thing off of each weeks episode for us to try.

It's the same as anything. Different strokes etc. Not sure what piss taking in a topic clearly about something you have no interest in was meant to achieve but, again, to each their own and all that.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I also found this bit about the move to be laughably hypocritical:

In an internal email to staff, the production company said it was “really saddened by this outcome because we always wanted to stay on the BBC ... this has never been about who might write the biggest cheque but about where we can find the best home for Bake Off”.

It added: “Unfortunately, we were unable to agree either a fair valuation, nor were the BBC able to provide the necessary comfort for the future protection of such a distinctive and much-loved television series.”

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
No, you're not alone, although I realise I fit the classic NSC description of a Bake Off fan. The skills displayed by the bakers are far more than just baking a cake.
I do dispute the age range as I know quite a few fans under 30.

I suspect quite a few people enjoy it on this forum - it's nice, relaxing, easy watching and it's about people really, not about watching bread rise. It's better than Antiques Roadshow anyway.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Love the Bake Off... the sad part of this is that it isn't a BBC idea/production. They should be creating this sort of programming themselves rather than buying it in.

I agree but I think that their hands are tied as part of their remit is that they have to buy in almost everything now.

Glad the BBC didn't pay over the odds.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Could turn out to be a Pyrrhic victory for the production company.

Make a short-term financial killing, but quite possibly they will lose the main presenters/personalities associated with the show and that will drag the viewing figures down further from what they inevitably will be by moving a programme from BBC1 to Channel 4. It has been recording audiences of around 10 million on BBC1. It's hard to envisage them getting much more than of that figure on Channel 4.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm clearly the only NSC er who really enjoys Bake Off.

I love all the intrigue and competition which everyone tries to pretend isn't there. And I think Mary and Paul are great judges.

There I've said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add me to the list. In fact it, along with a few documentaries, is one of the only things left worth watching IMHO. There's a lot of "I don't like it so it's shit" going on on here and on Facebook though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don't understand the appeal of ANY cookery competition programmes (or indeed pretty much any cookery program).

With the lack of taste [and smell] via television, what is the point? It could look good but taste like sh*t and the TV audience only have the smug-git judges to tell you whether that's the case.

Just don't see the attraction in watching.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

:lolol: Thats more like it.

My girlfriend, an amateur baker, finds it incredibly interesting. I have a vested interest as well; she usually makes one thing off of each weeks episode for us to try.

It's the same as anything. Different strokes etc. Not sure what piss taking in a topic clearly about something you have no interest in was meant to achieve but, again, to each their own and all that.

Not sure where I was piss-taking. Its a hugely successful show so it clearly has something going for it - so I tuned in once to see what all the fuss was about. And I'm still none the wiser.

Then again, I find Come Dine With Me weirdly addictive. I expect most people would rather gauge their own eyes out with a rusty spoon than sit through an hour of that.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't understand the appeal of ANY cookery competition programmes (or indeed pretty much any cookery program).

With the lack of taste [and smell] via television, what is the point? It could look good but taste like sh*t and the TV audience only have the smug-git judges to tell you whether that's the case.

15.1 million people would seem to disagree with you.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm a bake off fan.

It has a charm for a few reasons.

It's not proffessionals. It's you're every day person who enjoys baking. It appeals.

It's competitive but in a very nice British way. None of this emotional back-story nonsense .

Baking is a technical science. It's all about timing and chemical reactions. Ironically the "taste" is actually a way down the list of judging categories behind design (good for the viewer), quality of bake (easy for the viewer to spot and easy to be judged on).

That's why I enjoy it.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

It might motivate people to get creative in the kitchen, which isn't a bad thing.
Don't watch Cook Off myself, but live and let live etc

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
:lolol: Thats more like it.

Not sure where I was piss-taking. Its a hugely successful show so it clearly has something going for it - so I tuned in once to see what all the fuss was about. And I'm still none the wiser.

Then again, I find Come Dine With Me weirdly addictive. I expect most people would rather gauge their own eyes out with a rusty spoon than sit through an hour of that.

(I would secretly love to go on Come Dine With Me, shhh!, don't tell anyone)

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
That is a very odd concept. I've seen it a couple of times. It's strangely compelling and boring at the same time. I was left confused as to who would apply to go on that and put yourself through such an horrific experience. Mental.

People with large c**ks, needless to say I will not be appearing on this show ever.:blush:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sounds like Love Productions were being a tad greedy here. Could they end up killing the Golden Goose?

The corporation is thought to have offered £15m per year to keep the programme on the BBC.

That would have been double the amount the BBC currently pays for the show and its sister programmes such as An Extra Slice and the Sport Relief specials.

But it is understood Love Productions refused to entertain any offers below £25m per year.

BBC Website

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here