Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great British Bake Off: BBC loses rights to Channel 4

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I honestly don't get how watching people baking can be even remotely interesting or entertaining. A show about...cakes. I'd just as soon watch somebody build a shed every week.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

D

Deleted member 22389

Reckon the programme will flop now. Now Bake Off fans will have their programme interrupted by adverts and will make the programme shorter.
Wife loves the Bake Off, I can't stand it myself, and it is quite bad how the BBC can't hold on to things.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Not that I watch it, but adverts really kill shows like this. It'll turn into storage wars if they're not careful.

- Coming up! (play clip of what's to come)
- Actual content (showing what we've already seen)
- After the break! (play clip of what's to come)
- Adverts
- Previously! (play clip of what we've already seen)
- Actual content

Rinse. Repeat.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Am I missing something with this show. I watched a few minutes the other night because it's all over the media and facebook etc.

It's literally just some people making a cake, while a couple of women stand around and make terrible puns. And 10 million people watch it or something. I GENUINELY don't know how/why?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It'll only take Mary Berry retiring or one of the others packing it in and the formula will disintegrate into crumbs. I am not a big fan of anything with adverts - I will only record that stuff in order to skip the adverts. I am glad the BBC refused to be held to ransom.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Never really watched it but I know exactly what you mean. It's almost a 'national institution' these days and is very 'BBC'. I seriously doubt whether it will attract anything like the viewing figures on Channel 4, the home of dumbed-down sh*t.

I know what you mean but a lot of C4 is decent entertainment. C5 has taken the 'tabloid telly' crown, I think these days.

I've watched the occasional bit of bake-off, but largely I find it so BORING. Especially when they are judging all the offerings and end up saying the same old things time and time again. So basically, I'm not really bothered what happens to the programme, but well done the production company – good bit of business done there.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm clearly the only NSC er who really enjoys Bake Off.

I love all the intrigue and competition which everyone tries to pretend isn't there. And I think Mary and Paul are great judges.

There I've said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm clearly the only NSC er who really enjoys Bake Off.

I love all the intrigue and competition which everyone tries to pretend isn't there. And I think Mary and Paul are great judges.

There I've said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you're not alone, although I realise I fit the classic NSC description of a Bake Off fan. The skills displayed by the bakers are far more than just baking a cake.
I do dispute the age range as I know quite a few fans under 30.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Half the BBC audience won't know that they can even get channel 4 on their TVs.

It'll soon sink to channel 5 and lower.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can quite happily and proudly say I have NEVER watched 5 minutes of the programme
What can have gone wrong in a man's life for something so trivial to make you proud?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know what you mean but a lot of C4 is decent entertainment. C5 has taken the 'tabloid telly' crown, I think these days.

You wouldn't say that if you'd been unfortunate enough to see Naked Attraction as I was the other evening when it followed the Paralympics coverage.

A dating game where someone selects from a group of naked people who have their bodies slowly revealed bit by bit, starting with their genitalia, which prompts the first in-depth conversation on preference and past experiences. Nothing is hidden nor masked. Quite bizarre.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

You wouldn't say that if you'd been unfortunate enough to see Naked Attraction as I was the other evening when it followed the Paralympics coverage.
Wifey told me about Naked Attraction. It sounded horrendous and I thought of Channel 4's comments when they let Big Brother go to C5. They were pretending they were going more upmarket, and this programme seemed to prove they weren't.

You didn't have to watch it Bozza, I certainly won't be trying it out.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

A dating game where someone selects from a group of naked people who have their bodies slowly revealed bit by bit, starting with their genitalia, which prompts the first in-depth conversation on preference and past experiences. Nothing is hidden nor masked. Quite bizarre.
Yeah, I heard about this show a while back and then caught a bit of it the other night. I'm not saying C4 is now completely highbrow, but it seems to be moving in that direction, without being able to shake off its 'alternative/shock' approach.

It's almost like it is having some form of identity crisis...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
From wiki:

"The early reviews for the first series were mixed. Lucy Mangan of The Guardian wondered if "competitive baking [is] a contradiction in terms" and found the proceedings humourless.[24] Iain Hollingshead of The Daily Telegraph was scathing, describing the presenters as "annoying", the judge Paul Hollywood as looking "sinister without being interesting", and that the audience would be so bored that they "could certainly forgive the cameraman if he were to commit hara-kiri in a giant pool of egg and flour."

I guess the Beeb feel they've been there and done that. Time to experiment with something new - which is what they should be doing.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Half the BBC audience won't know that they can even get channel 4 on their TVs.

It'll soon sink to channel 5 and lower.

How dismissive.

The popularity will depend on whether the show can keep Mary Berry & Paul Hollywood. The chemistry of the judges is just right at the moment.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Really? Oh my god, how distressing! I cannot believe that this can be allowed, where is a policeman? I want my MP, this is just like a hate crime, aaaarrrggghhh!

And the BBC run this story ahead of other serious topics, says it all really.
HA HA HA Very good chance they've lost their MP this morning as well.
With Bake Off not on the BBC surely they, the BBC, will stop having constant live interviews with the stars of the show thus cutting off all the publicity.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yeah, I heard about this show a while back and then caught a bit of it the other night. I'm not saying C4 is now completely highbrow, but it seems to be moving in that direction, without being able to shake off its 'alternative/shock' approach.

It's almost like it is having some form of identity crisis...

It's internal mantra used to be 'be first, cause trouble, inspire change'

With some of their programming you can see that at work, but often I think they enjoy the first two parts of the mantra and forget to ask what worthwhile change they are actually encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Love the Bake Off... the sad part of this is that it isn't a BBC idea/production. They should be creating this sort of programming themselves rather than buying it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here