Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graham Potter

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not really, as you can quote all the metrics in the world, but results are what matters.

I only care about winning and don’t care how we get there - I have no interest in us being ‘gallant losers’, though accept others do (step forward [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] 😉😂).

I’m not Potter out or anything like that, but ask the Stoke fans if they wish Pulis had stayed. Of course fans prefer ‘pretty’ football, but at what cost? The Arsenal team under Graham were ‘boring’ but they won the league, and pre Wenger their fans were delighted.

If Palace go down post Hodgson, or Burnley go down post Dyche, but are playing more attractive football, I honestly don’t believe the majority of their fans will be pleased.

We play lovely football and I still think we’re a striker away from top 10, but the fact is positionally we haven’t improved as such, all it has proved is there is more than one way to play football - which most of us knew anyway 😃.
Fans will always moan, I mean we had ‘Potter out’ threads which were ridiculous.

Harsh! England are gallant losers! I hate the Albion losing but I am looking long term, stick around, we are going to shock the PL under GP IF we stay up this season imo

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
So was Chri Hughtons which was our first season all together and everyone acts as if what he achieved meant nothing because Potter got 1 more point with a better squad.

agreed, apart from the "better" squad bit, they're about the same. do you mean a more footballing squad, ie webbo for duffy?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Harsh! England are gallant losers! I hate the Albion losing but I am looking long term, stick around, we are going to shock the PL under GP IF we stay up this season imo

You have said you don’t mind going down under GP...... 😂😂😂 - that would really pee me off.....
nobody remembers how well the relegated teams play 😉

I agree re next season if we sign a forward.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Yeah but which one was the biggest achievement Hughtons newly promoted team on 40 points or Potters new way of playing on 41 points. I can honestly say I don't think there is that great difference between them, never mind people keep bragging about it as if Hughtons didn't mean much.

Some would argue that a young manager managing in the PL for the first time having finished 10th in the championship the season before and getting 41 points in the PL is a better achievement, but as it happens I agree with you. Hughton's total WAS a better achievement. But was it necessarily a better result? I'm not so sure.

It was his ceiling, the most we could've achieved under him, and yet it still isn't as much as what Potter achieved. Because he isn't as able a manager as GP. He's a legend, make no mistake, but this whole 'yeah we have a better xG but potter hasn't improved results' is just another iteration of the 'numbers schnumbers' rhetoric that a lot of Potter-outers use (and I'm not suggesting for one minute that you want Potter sacked), when actually if you look at it, Potter has improved us in practically every single metric, however slight, thereby indicating that he IS a level above CH.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Someone else replied to my post with that also, it’s true. Great minds :smile:.

If only there was a way for the 80% of appreciative supporters at Amex games, to drown out the boos and moans after a March or Webster imperfect moment.

Think Solly has a lot of love now....

Webster other than that dodgy spell in the first season, has turned into one of the best defenders in the league.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think Solly has a lot of love now....

Webster other than that dodgy spell in the first season, has turned into one of the best defenders in the league.

I think Solly always has.

It’s the noisy x% of haters at games and on NSC’s that’s odd. Even mid this season, a few posters adamant that Solly was lower league and an ineffective wnkr. That goes beyond varied opinions, instead an embarrassing vendetta.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Some would argue that a young manager managing in the PL for the first time having finished 10th in the championship the season before and getting 41 points in the PL is a better achievement, but as it happens I agree with you. Hughton's total WAS a better achievement. But was it necessarily a better result? I'm not so sure.

It was his ceiling, the most we could've achieved under him, and yet it still isn't as much as what Potter achieved. Because he isn't as able a manager as GP. He's a legend, make no mistake, but this whole 'yeah we have a better xG but potter hasn't improved results' is just another iteration of the 'numbers schnumbers' rhetoric that a lot of Potter-outers use (and I'm not suggesting for one minute that you want Potter sacked), when actually if you look at it, Potter has improved us in practically every single metric, however slight, thereby indicating that he IS a level above CH.

Chris Hughton

2 promotions to the Premier League
2 x Championship Manager of the year
Never relegated from the premier league

Graham Potter

Never relegated from the Premier League (as of yet)

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
agreed, apart from the "better" squad bit, they're about the same. do you mean a more footballing squad, ie webbo for duffy?

I mean generally last seasons squad was better than the squad in our first season in the Prem.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have you written off a win vs Chelsea? I haven’t

Currently, there is not a team in England that I believe we can't get something off with a good solid performance and a little bit of luck.

I haven't said that many times in the last 50+ years :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think Solly always has.

It’s the noisy x% of haters at games and on NSC’s that’s odd. Even mid this season, a few posters adamant that Solly was lower league and an ineffective wnkr. That goes beyond varied opinions, instead an embarrassing vendetta.

They are two of our ooowwwennn,

They are two of our ooown,

Solly and Lewis .... etc

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Chris Hughton

2 promotions to the Premier League
2 x Championship Manager of the year
Never relegated from the premier league

Graham Potter

Never relegated from the Premier League (as of yet)

I'm talking about ability, not achievements. I believe GP is a more talented manager. You are perfectly entitled to say he isn't based on the fact that, as you point out, Hughton has achieved more in his career, but having watched both of them for a few seasons, I've come to the conclusion that GP is better. But this wasn't what the discussion was about, I was arguing that GP has improved results.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I'm talking about ability, not achievements. I believe GP is a more talented manager. You are perfectly entitled to say he isn't based on the fact that, as you point out, Hughton has achieved more in his career, but having watched both of them for a few seasons, I've come to the conclusion that GP is better. But this wasn't what the discussion was about, I was arguing that GP has improved results.

How do you measure ability without achievements?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here