Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graham Potter

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I think in terms of playing style, it's pretty clear GP is a step up from CH at this level.

Not in terms of results, though.

I get that it can be hard to talk about GP's achievements thus far without seemingly diminishing the fantastic work that CH did, but I think playing style and results aren't two separate entities. By that, I mean we had totally hit our ceiling in terms of results under CH's playing style. I think Potter's style allows us much more room to progress, even though on the face of it there hasn't been a massive upturn.

We're performing better in nearly every single metric since GP took over, and there is a school of thought that sees the 'result' as more than the final scoreline. Look at Palace, for example. Their results haven't been terrible, as such, but the fans bemoan the terrible performances week in week out. If that was us, if we were performing terribly every week but still getting okay results, would people on here be happy? No, they'd be living in fear of the wheels inevitably falling of, and there'd be a huge sense of apathy, as you simply aren't ever going to improve your position in the table by playing poorly. That's an extreme example, and a world away from the performances we got under CH, but my point is that saying GP hasn't improved results is slightly subjective.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
That we weren't "competing with everyone" is complete revisionism.

In Hughton's first season in the PL we beat Man Utd and Arsenal at home, beat West Ham 6-1 on aggregate in doing the double over them and drew at home to Everton and Spurs, We deployed a low block against Man City because everyone below 10th did that season but we attacked Chelsea at home with wingbacks and the Greyhound on a licence to thrill, though it lost us the game 4-0. We had a dig at Liverpool and got taken to bits by Coutinho.

The difference was probably in how we tackled those below us. Swansea were dispatched 4-1 and West Brom 3-1 in the first season. It was the capitulations to Cardiff and Bournemouth that lost CH his job.

There are other anomalies of course. Many complained about CH's approach away, yet Potter has won FAR too few home games. CH was better against Palace, which are the two games that personally mean most to me each season as a fan. The one time CH attacked them we lost 3-2. He didn't make that mistake again.

A lot of our "too open" mistakes in that era were due to playing the Greyhound. Both Lamptey and Veltman are infinitely better players, and only available to Potter.
Big fan of this post.

There's pros and cons of both managers but you read the narrative from a lot of the Potter fans and you'd think we survived in the Prem on nothing but 0-0 draws. It's a classic rewrite of history.

Totally agree we're on the right track now but if it wasn't for that early penalty in the second half v Wolves GPot would probably be gone

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Big fan of this post.

There's pros and cons of both managers but you read the narrative from a lot of the Potter fans and you'd think we survived in the Prem on nothing but 0-0 draws. It's a classic rewrite of history.

Totally agree we're on the right track now but if it wasn't for that early penalty in the second half v Wolves GPot would probably be gone

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Really don’t think he’d have gone, the club are very much invested in GP.

Can’t disagree with the comment about 0-0, it really does feel like that. I understand that the football was poor under CH in the last 2-3 months, but there were a number of very good performances as well earlier that season and the previous season.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I get that it can be hard to talk about GP's achievements thus far without seemingly diminishing the fantastic work that CH did, but I think playing style and results aren't two separate entities. By that, I mean we had totally hit our ceiling in terms of results under CH's playing style. I think Potter's style allows us much more room to progress, even though on the face of it there hasn't been a massive upturn.

I agree with this 100%.

my point is that saying GP hasn't improved results is slightly subjective.

It's literally a fact that as of now, Potter has not finished in a higher league position than Hughton did.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Gross and Izzy played pretty much every game they were available, Bissouma started more under Hughton than he did under Potter last season, Andone was kept out of the side by a certain Glenn Murray, Locadia and Ali J were bobbins.

i can't argue with any of that apart from biss, did you look that up?

so the quality of the attack minded players signed up isn't up to much

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

We're performing better in nearly every single metric since GP took over, and there is a school of thought that sees the 'result' as more than the final scoreline. Look at Palace, for example. Their results haven't been terrible, as such, but the fans bemoan the terrible performances week in week out. If that was us, if we were performing terribly every week but still getting okay results, would people on here be happy? No, they'd be living in fear of the wheels inevitably falling of, and there'd be a huge sense of apathy, as you simply aren't ever going to improve your position in the table by playing poorly. That's an extreme example, and a world away from the performances we got under CH, but my point is that saying GP hasn't improved results is slightly subjective.

beautifully put :clap2:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Staying up is paramount and that means everything. If we go down the wheels will come off. OK we could well come back up straight away and then face what ? real struggle because we will not be strengthening in the Championship. Potter's job is now to get the team motivated and winning, particularly that Sheffield United game. No excuses, he coaches the players, he chooses the team, Sheffield United are bottom and going down. Their results are poor. Win that and fine, we can view the sun through the showers. Do otherwise and we will feel the rain and in the cold light of day the team will not have done enough against the bottom clubs. No excuses for that, no excuses whatsoever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Staying up is paramount and that means everything. If we go down the wheels will come off. OK we could well come back up straight away and then face what ? real struggle because we will not be strengthening in the Championship. Potter's job is now to get the team motivated and winning, particularly that Sheffield United game. No excuses, he coaches the players, he chooses the team, Sheffield United are bottom and going down. Their results are poor. Win that and fine, we can view the sun through the showers. Do otherwise and we will feel the rain and in the cold light of day the team will not have done enough against the bottom clubs. No excuses for that, no excuses whatsoever.

Have you written off a win vs Chelsea? I haven’t

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t you feel the dark clouds gathering, especially after the absolute disaster for us today of a Newcastle win?

Lose against Chavski, then it wouldn’t surprise me if both Bloom and Potter were sacked.

There will be gloating too

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
By 1 point. and 5 goals. literally everything else was the same. We even finished the same position.

which is a minor miracle in itself; first season in the prem and totally changing our style, top job :clap:

i did hope for a big lump stiker and a dozen more points this season tho :shrug:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yeah but it still happened, didn't it.

Yeah but which one was the biggest achievement Hughtons newly promoted team on 40 points or Potters new way of playing on 41 points. I can honestly say I don't think there is that great difference between them, never mind people keep bragging about it as if Hughtons didn't mean much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not really, as you can quote all the metrics in the world, but results are what matters.

I only care about winning and don’t care how we get there - I have no interest in us being ‘gallant losers’, though accept others do (step forward [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] ����).

I’m not Potter out or anything like that, but ask the Stoke fans if they wish Pulis had stayed. Of course fans prefer ‘pretty’ football, but at what cost? The Arsenal team under Graham were ‘boring’ but they won the league, and pre Wenger their fans were delighted.

If Palace go down post Hodgson, or Burnley go down post Dyche, but are playing more attractive football, I honestly don’t believe the majority of their fans will be pleased.

We play lovely football and I still think we’re a striker away from top 10, but the fact is positionally we haven’t improved as such, all it has proved is there is more than one way to play football - which most of us knew anyway ��.
Fans will always moan, I mean we had ‘Potter out’ threads which were ridiculous. I will always support the current manager unless they are hopeless, and will also defend previous ones.....

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
which is a minor miracle in itself; first season in the prem and totally changing our style, top job :clap:

i did hope for a big lump stiker and a dozen more points this season tho :shrug:

So was Chri Hughtons which was our first season all together and everyone acts as if what he achieved meant nothing because Potter got 1 more point with a better squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here