Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goodbye and Thank you to Glenn Murray

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Three that stick in the noggin:

1) Orient away when he looked so unhappy and disinterested throughout the game that it was hard not to feel that he was having a 90-minute existential crisis
2) That period when he was at Palace but still lived in Brighton and used to pass my office window and eat in Wagamamas in the North Laine on a comically regular basis, like an ex you keep crashing into around corners
3) His deftly-played decision to reinvent himself as a ubiquitous media personality after the tax scandal

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can honestly say that his injury during that infamous match against South Norwood Athletic was as upsetting as us losing. A gentleman, a great player - the best. I hope he returns as our forward coach as soon as he stops playing, as he will really make Maupay and Tau better players.

Just imagine how Murray and Ward together in their prime would have gone?
I don’t get your first sentence he was a Palace player with no sign of playing for us again. It took me a while to get over that defeat and can honestly say I couldn’t give a flying f about Murray during the aftermath.

el punal

My favourite goal was the last-minute winner, at Birmingham, when he ran the full length of the pitch to us.

I didn’t go to that game, I believe it was a Saturday 5.30 kick off. I didn’t watch it on TV or listen to it on the radio. What I did was go on t’internet at around the full time mark to get the result -

(Blame the Hereford game for that, I couldn’t get a ticket so had to listen to the commentary. My nerves were absolutely shredded that day and I’ve never been able to watch or listen to an Albion game unless I’m there at the match itself. Coward that I am!)

- the match was apparently in added on time at 1-1. I thought, yeah, I’ll take that and the screen changed to 1-2 (Murray). I went absolutely batshit crazy. Wonderful!

I then watched the highlights and Murray’s header and Forrest Gump’s run back to our fans. Unbelievable and unforgettable.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
When he first arrived he seemed unhappy being down south and I thought he was a bit of a lazy mercenary albeit a natural goal scorer.

Then his partner wanted to move back tup north, that must have been a strain but it never seem to show as he decided to make Brighton his perminante home.

With his contract running down talk was all about a very public display from Glen with his open hand goal celebration apparently £5,000 was what he wanted but no agreement could be found and so his contract run out so he left.

Of all the teams he could have chosen to go to but our arch rivals Palarse at this point he was definitely not very popular by the Albion's fans.

His very best football playing years were probably while he was at at Palarse, and then the FFS Murray moment, he became a Palarse hero and was definitely not on my Christmas card list!

Finally falling out of favour and wanting game time he left Palarse to play for BorMuff for a short fairly forgetful time before finally coming back for his second spell with the Albion.

I remember clearly as us fans discussed if this was this a good move for the Albion was he over the hill?

He certainly was not finished, leading from the front his calm head he seldom failed and then another FFS Murray moment only this time as we got revenge.

I think the Albion in hind sight would reverse their decision and to meet pay request, I was wrong he was never lazy just a languid style and a great goal scorer who had two very successful spells with the club and city he chose to call home.

So the ultimate question is he an Albion legend well dispite his Palrse association he did exactly what he was paid to do score goals in fact more Albion goals than any other for that alone yes Glen you are a Brighton legend

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Of all Muzza's goals for the Albion, this one stands out for me.
As apart from the fantastic away support, once his goal went in, you knew that the PL was in touching distance.
A great servant for the Albion twice over, so thank you and thank you. :albion2::bowdown:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Blimey, a bit rewriting of history. Wasn't it because Poyet didn't want him or at least didn't think he was worth what he was asking for?

Yep. Gus knows deep down in his soul that breaking up the partnership with Barnes was his big mistake. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but to ditch your leading scorer for CMS, especially when Murray was the better all round footballer and in his absolute prime, was spectacularly poor judgement. Sliding doors moment for Gus and delayed our PL debut by 2-3 years - always been convinced of that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have we forgiven him for not clapping us at Brentford?

That really should be in NSC Gold.

Good Luck Glenn, 4 months in Nottingham, pop a few in for CH and keep him in a job. Then I'm sure he has a future in punditry as he is very eloquent and it'll be a pleasant change to have someone who knows there is more than one league in England.

And he definitely won't move, it's a lovely neighbourhood :wink:

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Very sad he won't get the send off he deserves.

Should never have been allowed to leave on a free after being such an integral part of a successful squad. Still baffles me how we didn't recognise and value the progress he made with us. Awful business from the club for what probably amounted to a pittance compared to the fee we would then spend on CMS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here