Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good people of NSC - recommend me an autobiography

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not sporty.. but is a good hard long read..

The hardest (working) man in showbiz - Ron Jeremy

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
The Forgotten Highlander by Alistair Urquhart : His account of life as a prisoner of war. Including the hell ship Kachidoki Maru sunk by the US Navy, River Kwai and and POW camp outside Nagasaki.
RedOne :By a Bomb Disposal Expert on the Frontline, Captain Kevin Ivison : A true first hand account of the life of a Bomb disposal Expert, not your showy Hurt Locker nonsense.
Telling Stories by Tim Burgess : Lead singer from The Charlatans :

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
As many of these are moving well away from footie biogs - on which i have nothing of worth to offer:
The Dirt - Motley Crue by Neil Strauss is the ultimate rock band biography - you may want to put a cushion under your jaw before reading so hard will it drop.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sean Connery's is good. Through his campaigning in the 60's to get fair pay for actor's he is the reason actor's get paid so much in present day. He is one miserable, dour porridge gobbler though.

He was a bit of a mess when I saw him in Brighton. He came across as a charming chap though and if the anecdotes from his book are mainly accurate, he had some gall. Have you read Mr Nice?
I may be wrong but Howard Marks always struck me as a bit of a fantasist. On the few occasions I have spoken with him he got on my tits to be frank. The book is a good read but I took it all with a barrow of salt.
He certainly had gall. I knew him in between the time he'd been at Oxford (as nothing much more than a successful, well-connected wheeler dealer) and when he burst on to a more public stage as someone alleged to be tied into international trafficking, deals with the security services, IRA/foreign power contacts, etc. The image he seemed to want to be cultivating at the time was that of a serious academic (and he certainly knows his Nietzsche) and music fan, who liked nothing better than playing low-stakes poker and that Japanese game called Go. His private life was being churned up by a complicated marital merry-go-round and trips to mysterious places. There was certainly a lot of fantasy around. That became his stock in trade and he built an unbelievable career on it.

A little Brighton anecdote ... I remember him bringing back an incredibly clever cigarette rolling machine from Switzerland, which could prepare what looked exactly like a packet of 20 Benson & Hedges. Just what was needed by a party of his chums who gathered regularly (in plain sight, as we say these days) to watch the 1970 World Cup tournament in The Hervey Arms in Kemptown. There's a slight allusion to these days (with no mention of Howard Marks, of course) on this Argus link ...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/communitypages/communitynews/4718844.Farewell_to_the_I_Go_Inn___/

And, yes ... I have read Mr Nice.

Last edited:

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
"I AM ZLATAN" is a good read. didnt realise how bad his life was! or "Gerrard: My Autobiography". which i couldnt put down! brilliant book.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
"I AM ZLATAN" is a good read. didnt realise how bad his life was! or "Gerrard: My Autobiography". which i couldnt put down! brilliant book.

You haven't read much have you?!? :D

That book was utter utter drivel. About as intellectually compelling as the back of a Tampax packet

My vote goes for either Provided You Don't Kiss Me, I, Partridge, or Fever Pitch

Please, please don't try Gullhanger. It's like Fever Pitch, only poorly written, with terrible analogy's, and a total douche of an author. So nothing, really, like Fever Pitch at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here