Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good people of NSC - recommend me an autobiography

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I knew Howard Marks during the time he lived in Brighton and can vouch for some of his tales from those days. He led a somewhat messy life, to say the least of it.

He was a bit of a mess when I saw him in Brighton. He came across as a charming chap though and if the anecdotes from his book are mainly accurate, he had some gall. Have you read Mr Nice?

mystery_man

Banned
Jun 7, 2013
Not everyone's cup of tea but David Batty's autobiography was enjoyable. Not always harping on about the profession of being a footballer. Russell Brand's My Booky Wook was a good non sport related read as were both of Chris Evans' offerings (if you are one of the people who can stand him).

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Mystery Man's right about Chris Evans' autobiographies. They are both excellent and very honest accounts, albeit he is certainly a Marmite man.

As someone else mentioned cricket, the best autobiography I've read on that sport in recent years is Marcus Trescothick's. Covers his mental health diagnosis and the events that led to him seeking support and explains his thought processes. Really interesting read. Mike Atherton's autobiography is a great read too, although not surprising considering the quality of his work in The Times. There is a particularly good chapter in that book about the test match against South Africa where he gloved the ball but was given not out and where Allan Donald then bowled like a man possessed thereafter.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Paul McGrath - Back From the Brink.

Probably more about alcoholism than his football career but cracking read.

Edit - just read the original post and you've already read it. But recommended to anyone else!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I found Peter Kay's autobiog very good. I used to have strong connections to Bolton and recognised a lot of the places he writes of but a damn funny read for anyone.
Michael Caine's one is good, if a little self congratulatory but very interesting.
Stephen Fry's autobiographies are tip top.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That Simon Jordan book is a cracking read. I'm sorry, but it is.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
My View from the Corner - Angelo Dundee.

Amazing book

Any of Rick Wakeman's books

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I had Arnold Schwarzenegger's recommended to me and I have to say it is quite an enjoyable read. It is however a weighty tome.

The Keith Richards one is very good, as is Sussex and BHA support newscaster Jon Snow's autobiography.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Nothing to do with football but:

I have been picking off a list published by Author L J Martin, these are the 3 best I have read to date.

Waging Heavy Peace - Neil Young.
Just Kids - Patti Smith
Proof of Heaven - Eben Alexander

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
%7BAA44843D-C2B7-4B9E-9B14-4EA80B77D416%7DImg100.jpg

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Sport - Lee Chapman's is very good as is Garry Nelson's. Favourite however is Micky Quinn's 'Who ate all the pies?'
Non sport - Peter Kay, Ricky Tomlinson, Frank Skinner - all very funny.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
a superb find in a charity shop, but highly recommended - with albion link too...
Matchday - What Makes Saturday Special by Chris Green

also just read the Johnny Phillips soccer Saturday book, including chapter on Charlie oatway. was ok...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I may be wrong but Howard Matks always struck me as a bit of a fantasist. On the few occasions I have spoken with him he got on my tits to be frank. The book is a good read but I took it all with a barrow of salt.

I heartily recommend any of Henry Rollins' travel/tour diaries. Get In The Van is about as comprehensive a tome on what it must be like to be in a band travelling the world in a van as one is likely to get, also recommend: Do I Come Here Often? and Smile You're Travelling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here