Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good people of NSC - recommend me an autobiography

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Football...Frank Worthington....My Sporting Life.....very sporting from the Rock 'n' Roll king of footy (Audio book 99p to download
Non football Merchant of Dreams by Charles Higham....about Meyer from MGM who tells the lowdown on Hollywood and the sins of the stars..

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Paul Lake - I'm not really here
Tony Cascarinos is pretty good too , as is Paul McGrahs .

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Paul Canoville - Black & Blue (the autobiography of Chelsea's first ever black first team player - it was only 30 years ago!)

Not an autobiography but Broken Dreams by Tom Bower is a good insight into money and transfers in football although I don't know if its been updated at all in recent years but even so its a bit of an eye opener about how some football agents operated in the past and why certain transfers took place, so its worth reading.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Craig Bellamy's is a cracker if you are a fan of the game and want a real insight.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Mr Nice - Howard Marks. Brilliant.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Justin Fashanu's biography is outstanding.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
My father and other working class football heroes ( something like that) bought it at the airport a few years ago and loved it

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I know it's off subject BUT.... I'd recommend 'Dynamo', Andy Dougan...............Unless you give a toss about what Trevor Benjamin has for breakfast on a Thursday .... I bloody well loved Peter Beardsley ........... but what a tedious book that was .................... made Alan Shearer's one read like 'American Psycho'.

Cricket books are better.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
eldiego-194x300.png

Any child that is so good at a task they're asked to produce a passport next time, to prove to the instructor their not a 30yr old midget, has to worth a read!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Any of Spike Milligan's war memoirs are well worth a read.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I've nearly finished this and I'm really enjoying it. However do you think you need to be 30+ to be interested in it?

Possibly. I think it appealed to me cos i'm aboult the same age as DB, so I can relate to the era and fashions etc.
His mates funeral with another mate screaming for his Tonics cracked me up, I remember laying my tonic jacket on the pebbles by the West Pier
after pulling a bird in the Pickwick......I was mortified next morning when my mum discovered oil all over the back and one sleeve.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Sir Bobby Robson's is a great read and opens your eyes as to how the game has evolved since he was a player and indeed our national manager. Some funny Gazza tales in there too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here