Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Good luck Chris..,

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I still think he deserved the first 6 games or so this season with new signings to see if he could turn it around. Potter's team were also in freefall before the lockdown and the break happened at the right time.
It also has to be said that if Brighton don't win at Burnley, they will have got less points than Hughton's first season in the premier league.
However, i think Potter has laid the foundations for a promising future, but its not guaranteed that we will be successful next season.

We all knew how he set the team up. 6 games into this season then you are desperate to employ whomever is available and they've missed the transfer window. TB got it right and I would suggest most pundits would now agree.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On the subject of job interviews, and nothing to do with Chris Hughton, one of the BEST ever answers to an interview question I have ever heard was given by a woman I used to work with many years ago. She had applied for a promotion and in comparison to the various other candidates (internal and external) was the obvious and preferred candidate.

I was on the interview panel and she'd smashed the interview and was on the home straight. Then she was asked, "what do you consider to be your biggest weakness?" You could see the lack of prepared answer written all across her face, so after a second or so she blurted out, "When I've too much work to do, I panic and hide it in my bottom drawer and hope no-one finds out." There was a bit of stunned silence from the lead interviewer then she was thanked for her time and invited to leave the interview room. No, she didn't get the job.

:facepalm:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Bristol City are telling CH he's got to line up for interview with seven other candidates in case they can find someone better, I can see him telling them to stick it!

I’m with you, they will not do better imo and there is decent club out there for whom he’d be first choice. I now hope he tells them he’s lost interest in the job!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely he would have known that they were interviewing others. Case of you're one of 8 and we'll pick the best one. Not a case of thanks for coming in for an interview but we've had 7 late applications so we're going to see if any are better than you. Standard practice.

Not when you make your interest in one of the eight, a high profile and respected manager, public a couple of days before you mention you're going to interview seven others.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We all knew how he set the team up. 6 games into this season then you are desperate to employ whomever is available and they've missed the transfer window. TB got it right and I would suggest most pundits would now agree.

The Albion will be always known as that team from the south coast who dared enter a league full of entitled teams desperately hanging onto their previous history.
We are a pundits dream for all superlatives and pre/post match bollox.
How dare we play a brand of football that doesn't conform with a club of our standing :lol:
GP has a big task ahead of him, which I'm very much looking forward to.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If Bristol City are telling CH he's got to line up for interview with seven other candidates in case they can find someone better, I can see him telling them to stick it!
No, they are not telling him that. The report is that 8 people have been on the shortlist, and they are making a decision.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We all knew how he set the team up.
That's the point you're missing - we didn't and we don't - and never will. We all know he could set up a team to play lovely football - we'd seen two years of it in the Championship,when the players we had were good enough to do it.
With the right players coming in in the summer, he may have started the third season in the PL playing a more expansive game. Who knows? Certainly neither you nor I do. It's irrelevant now anyway. This is not a 'we shouldn't have sacked Hughton' moan btw. We know what's happened this season - and I for one am fine with it. What would have happened in other circumstances is pure speculation, not fact.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
On the subject of job interviews, and nothing to do with Chris Hughton, one of the BEST ever answers to an interview question I have ever heard was given by a woman I used to work with many years ago. She had applied for a promotion and in comparison to the various other candidates (internal and external) was the obvious and preferred candidate.

I was on the interview panel and she'd smashed the interview and was on the home straight. Then she was asked, "what do you consider to be your biggest weakness?" You could see the lack of prepared answer written all across her face, so after a second or so she blurted out, "When I've too much work to do, I panic and hide it in my bottom drawer and hope no-one finds out." There was a bit of stunned silence from the lead interviewer then she was thanked for her time and invited to leave the interview room. No, she didn't get the job.

:facepalm:

If everything else in her interview was perfect and she was streets ahead of everyone else in the interview process. If I had been interviewing her I would have seen it as having a sense of humour and given her the job.

I have been offered several jobs after answering the exact same question with - '' I don't really have any weaknesses - I tend to be able to identify any problematic areas very quickly and am usually able to rectify things quickly''

I never like to give an interviewer any reason not to employ me during an interview. Why point out any deficiencies which may never ever come to light. They might not employ me because they think I am over confident but better that than because I am unable to do the job in question.

There are always 4 '' Cs '' I like to see in candidates when I interview them

1. Competence
2. Confidence
3. Compassion
4. And finally a bit of Comedy

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
........and the short list contains Chris Hughton and seven others. Right.

Yep CH has proved himself better than any other candidates I can think of unless they are thinking of taking a gamble on a first timer. In fairness once I heard bloody Stephen Gerrard was first choice and had turned them down I’d have walked away at that stage if I was CH.

He IS the best man for the job if they back him and want to get into the PL imo

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Surely he would have known that they were interviewing others. Case of you're one of 8 and we'll pick the best one. Not a case of thanks for coming in for an interview but we've had 7 late applications so we're going to see if any are better than you. Standard practice.

Is it ?

I don't think it was Standard Practice for the last two Managerial Appointments at Brighton - But I could be wrong

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Spoken to a couple of City fans who were over the moon when the fake news was going around.

Any top half Championship team should be crawling over broken glass to get him in.
His record in the championship is extraordinary.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
One bad season but 3.5 absolutely incredible seasons. And as ugly and arguably lucky as the bad one may have been, he still (somehow) achieved the objective. For his first 3.5 years I could not fault him whatsoever, and I don’t think I’ve ever said that about an Albion manager. I actually think the 2015/16 season is one of my favourites of all time. To turn us from a bunch of misfits and incompetents in 2014/15 into a side that didn’t lose until December the following season is an outrageous achievement, especially in a league like the Championship. The transformation in spirit, organisation and quality is one of the most impressive things I’ve seen any of our managers do. How it ended was a tragedy, but it just highlights how brilliant Hughton was that we came back and smashed it the following year. That takes seriously strong psychological management, much like what Klopp did after last season. Hughton is undoubtedly the greatest ever Albion manager in my opinion and I genuinely hope Bristol City do really well next season.

Even this is an injustice.
A single bad half season is what some on here measure him against and say he's not good enough.
I agree (in retrospect) that it was time for him to go, but the endless tripe, spouted by some, about him not being good enough for a job with a bottom half premier league side!
Seriously??

He's a decent manager. End of.

D

Deleted member 2719

Spoken to a couple of City fans who were over the moon when the fake news was going around.

Any top half Championship team should be crawling over broken glass to get him in.
His record in the championship is extraordinary.

Are you on a bonus!

It all depends on whether they use Chris for a quick fix, if they want to develop youngster to play or sell now, he will be the wrong choice IMO.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Are you on a bonus!

It all depends on whether they use Chris for a quick fix, if they want to develop youngster to play or sell now, he will be the wrong choice IMO.

Taking Chris out if the Equation.

From your post. If they are a club that are happy to sell their young or talented players then they can forget about playing in the PL.

The reason Brighton are there now are because the Chairman rejected the bids for players like Lewis Dunk, Anthony Knockheart and Dale Stephens.

When Chris joined Brighton he didn't ask for massive Budgets for players or a certain amount of money. All he asked for was " to be given a fighting chance of being able to get to the PL "

He was promised that " Fighting Chance " and the Chairman honoured that by not accepting bids for players that Chris wanted to keep and the rest is history.

You knock Chris at every turn so I am sure he won't be losing sleep over your opinions on his suitability for any future job he decides to take.

Chris will be managing next year. Where ? Well who knows ?

But like when he took over at Brighton. It will be the Club that can convince him that they are serious about wanting to get to the PL

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But like when he took over at Brighton. It will be the Club that can convince him that they are serious about wanting to get to the PL

Thanks. Entirely credible post, as usual.

This bit is interesting - it strongly implies that Chris has accepted that he’s not going to get a gig with a club already in the PL.

D

Deleted member 2719

Taking Chris out if the Equation.

From your post. If they are a club that are happy to sell their young or talented players then they can forget about playing in the PL.

The reason Brighton are there now are because the Chairman rejected the bids for players like Lewis Dunk, Anthony Knockheart and Dale Stephens.

When Chris joined Brighton he didn't ask for massive Budgets for players or a certain amount of money. All he asked for was " to be given a fighting chance of being able to get to the PL "

He was promised that " Fighting Chance " and the Chairman honoured that by not accepting bids for players that Chris wanted to keep and the rest is history.

You knock Chris at every turn so I am sure he won't be losing sleep over your opinions on his suitability for any future job he decides to take.

Chris will be managing next year. Where ? Well who knows ?

I would not want TB selling any of our players unless it is a no brainer, especially the young ones as a lot can change.
It's not Chris I knock, it has always been his style and unwillingness to take a risk, particularly at home.
He will be right for many clubs as a fix IMO unless he can change gears when needed that has yet to be seen.
As a defensive coach, he is certainly up there with the best, and as a former defender myself, I admire that in him, but I was more of a wing-back so I also had the willingness to get forward and to take the game out of our half.
But as a fan, I like to see youngsters used as a gamble to give them valuable match experience at the highest level and as a business person, I also want to see us develop within, this didn't seem Chris's style.
That is why I like our current setup, as there is a chance of progression.
I would like Chris to take on board what he did wrong at the Albion as well as what he did right.
Good luck to him.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Thanks. Entirely credible post, as usual.

This bit is interesting - it strongly implies that Chris has accepted that he’s not going to get a gig with a club already in the PL.

Only the Press stated he was holding out for a PL job.

He never once said that.

It's well reported he turned one down . Which wasn't right for him at the time but Chris is humble enough to know that to manage in the PL again he is gonna have to take a Club there

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would not want TB selling any of our players unless it is a no brainer, especially the young ones as a lot can change.
It's not Chris I knock, it has always been his style and unwillingness to take a risk, particularly at home.
He will be right for many clubs as a fix IMO unless he can change gears when needed that has yet to be seen.
As a defensive coach, he is certainly up there with the best, and as a former defender myself, I admire that in him, but I was more of a wing-back so I also had the willingness to get forward and to take the game out of our half.
But as a fan, I like to see youngsters used as a gamble to give them valuable match experience at the highest level and as a business person, I also want to see us develop within, this didn't seem Chris's style.
That is why I like our current setup, as there is a chance of progression.
I would like Chris to take on board what he did wrong at the Albion as well as what he did right.
Good luck to him.

You actually knock more than his style of play.

You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. Read your own posts on him if you think otherwise.

Even read your own final line on him above.

You have no idea as to whether he has conceded to to what he may have did wrong.

There are interviews out there pertaining to both his achievements and his short comings by Chris himself. You are choosing either to not reference them. Or you haven't seen them.

Chris owes no one an apology for his time at Brighton. Least of all you. Look where they are. In part because if him.

I don't normally take personal aim at any individual because everyone is entitled to their opinions but this had to be said because I don't think you even recognize how you come across in your constant attacks on him personally.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Only the Press stated he was holding out for a PL job.

He never once said that.

It's well reported he turned one down . Which wasn't right for him at the time but Chris is humble enough to know that to manage in the PL again he is gonna have to take a Club there

He did pretty much say that himself in his interview on the Athletic podcast. However, I suspect he's realised he's better off with a sensible Championship club rather than a basket case PL one like Watford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here