Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Going Vegan (after xmas)

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Good luck [MENTION=274]Weezle[/MENTION]. You may become intolerant to dairy after a while though.
I've been intolerant to diary for the last 15 years. I drink coconut milk rather than cows milk. I can't stay off the cheese though, however bad it is for me!

Just had a vegan curry for dinner following the advice on here and I have to say it was delicious!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This. He’ll last a fortnight, tops.
Haha. Well that will be twice as long as last time!

To be fair since my last effort two years ago I've stopped eating meat at lunchtimes each week day. I think I can take the next step for the next few months - along with cutting down the booze.

I am vegetarian for convenience - the other Pottings are veggie and, as I have posted before, I cannot be a*sed to cook a separate meal for me as I do most of the cooking.

Made the rib eye steak with all the accompaniments that I consumed yesterday on a rare meal out taste all the better :)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've been intolerant to diary for the last 15 years. I drink coconut milk rather than cows milk. I can't stay off the cheese though, however bad it is for me!

Just had a vegan curry for dinner following the advice on here and I have to say it was delicious!!

I enjoy a vegan curry. In fact I enjoy a lot of vegan food although I find it a bit snacky so preferable for lunch than dinner. I eat meat as well but not as much as I used to.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Go on, have some pigs in blankets.

Pigs would rather be wrapped in real blankets. Pigs are the one I struggle most with in terms of people’s ability to ignore the fact that, of all animals, they experience emotion at the very top end of the animal scale and are highly intelligent creatures. There are lots of dog owners on here, I’m just amazed at how many are able to separate the two when it comes to loving one animal and eating the other.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pigs would rather be wrapped in real blankets. Pigs are the one I struggle most with in terms of people’s ability to ignore the fact that, of all animals, they experience emotion at the very top end of the animal scale and are highly intelligent creatures. There are lots of dog owners on here, I’m just amazed at how many are able to separate the two when it comes to loving one animal and eating the other.

It’s an interesting conversation. Why we eat one and not another.
I’ve heard a few theories. Regarding dogs, our relationship with them historically has meant they are simply much more use to us alive than used for food.
Also, it’s not very healthy to eat an animal that was a carnivore when it was alive. Lots of nasties in the system. A reason for going vegan one could argue. Same nasties in humans who eat meat.
But to be fair, as a species we do have a massively varied diet and it’s a safe bet that globally, pretty much all animals are used for food somewhere. Dogs certainly are, Guinea pigs, horses, all sorts of furry critters. The only one I can think of that people don’t eat is cats.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’ve heard a few theories. Regarding dogs, our relationship with them historically has meant they are simply much more use to us alive than used for food.
Also, it’s not very healthy to eat an animal that was a carnivore when it was alive. Lots of nasties in the system. A reason for going vegan one could argue. Same nasties in humans who eat meat.
But to be fair, as a species we do have a massively varied diet and it’s a safe bet that globally, pretty much all animals are used for food somewhere. Dogs certainly are, Guinea pigs, horses, all sorts of furry critters. The only one I can think of that people don’t eat is cats.
But they do:
https://www.thedailymeal.com/9-countries-eat-cats-and-dogs/11414

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any other vegans going a step further?

Attachments

• 409AEB35-4732-4C56-97F9-8831A675C400.jpeg
    409AEB35-4732-4C56-97F9-8831A675C400.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 95

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Good luck with your lifestyle change.

Please don’t get preachy though in the new year. Many of us have no intention of ditching the meat and dairy.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No meat is easy
No fish is annoying but easy
No milk or eggs is difficult but possibly
Not tried no gluten, but its looks near impossible.

No beer shouldn't be allowed.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North

Funny you should say that about cats....
I was travelling in the Middle east in the early 90s and was in Jerusalem. Looked at the Lonely Planet guide for somewhere to eat and it recommended a Palestinian place that did pizza. My GF and I went through the unmarked door and down some steps into an untidy room with a big pizza oven in the middle. Very friendly people there, we sat down on some mismatched patio furniture and were asked if we wanted a meat or veggie pizza. We both had the veggie option. About 10 days later we were on a tour of the Via Dolorosa when we passed the pizza place. The tour guide said it was a very nice pizza but dont have the meat as its probably cat.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
After watching documentaries such as The Game Changers and What the Health on Netflix, I've decided to give going vegan a go.

I have tried once before, but I only last a week. I just found the food bland, uninteresting and difficult!

No meat is challenging enough. Adding in no cheese and no eggs just makes it near impossible! However, I am keen to really try. I'm running the Paris marathon in April and maybe this will help me improve my performance if the documentaries are to be believed along with anecdotes from friends.

So can anybody on here offer me any advice? What are your go to quick and tasty vegan meals as I don't have a lot of time to prepare.

Where can I find good vegan recipes? As at the moment I find the food uninspiring.

What can I have for snacks so I don't fall off the vegan wagon?

All help and advice is appreciated.

Good luck with that and dont listen to anyone who tells you that if you really wanted to do it you would do it before christmas and that you wont last. I think the most important thing is doing it when it feels right for you. Youll have more chance of it lasting. We are doing something similar but easing ourslves into a veggie lifestyle. The thing for me is finding enough recipes that we all eat and enjoy so at the moment we are 2 days eating meat still( Roast chicken and then eating whatever is left another day) 2 days of fish only and 3 days of eating veggie. Stir fries are a big hit (with rice or noodles) and very easy and also stews and the wife and I love a curry, so its just expanding on those things for us. I just have to work out what to have on the rest of the days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here