[NSC] Going Vegan (after xmas)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've been a veggie for c28 years and it's mainly cheese that is stopping me from even considering veganism.

In fact, I'm actually quite annoyed at the recent rise in popularity of veganism as now many places offer vegan dishes where they used to offer vegetarian options, which means either no cheese or weirdo non-cheese. More than once I've ordered a burger that was vegan, but asked for proper cheese instead of the vegan cheese it was listed as coming with.

Anyway, maybe there is light at the end of the cheese-less tunnel...

I haven't eaten meat for two and a half years, not long but I found it very easy to give up.
Giving up cheese would be a struggle for me, I also like eggs and milk in my mug of tea ( typical plumber )
But I do feel vegetarians are now being overlooked in some restaurants.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Honestly, don't bother.

As someone who pays very close attention to nutrition, and have worked with some of the top nutritionists in the country, the best advice i can give you is to carry on eating a well balanced diet, but eat more vegetables as well. If you want to make an active change to your diet, but one that is much more sustainable, look into Paleo.

As for The Game Changers, It's very misleading, and full of lies.

You pay very close attention to nutrition? That’s good so you know that The American Dietetic Association and the British Dietetic Association, the largest bodies of nutrition and diet professionals in both countries, have both stated that a plant-based (vegan) diet is nutritionally adequate and safe for all stages of life, including pregnancy? And you also know, the great thing about plants is they contain all the good nutrients and vitamins associated with animal products but they don’t come with all the incredibly unhealthy aspects like cholesterol, trans fat, hormones, antibiotics, etc?

The issues with the whole “everything in moderation” argument is that if something is bad for you, it’s bad for you. It doesn’t matter if you consume a lot or a little, it’s still bad for you. Now, you could smoke one cigarette a month and it wouldn’t give you cancer or kill you but that cigarette is still bad for you. Likewise, you could eat a slice of bacon once a month and although it wouldn’t kill you, it is still inherently bad for you

And if you could provide a peer reviewed study that proves it’s full of lies that’d be really helpful. You see, The Game Changers is backed up by scientific and medical, peer reviewed studies. Your claim is, as of yet, completely unsubstantiated.

Now, your assumption that veganism is somehow unsustainable, that’s a falsehood.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You pay very close attention to nutrition? That’s good so you know that The American Dietetic Association and the British Dietetic Association, the largest bodies of nutrition and diet professionals in both countries, have both stated that a plant-based (vegan) diet is nutritionally adequate and safe for all stages of life, including pregnancy? And you also know, the great thing about plants is they contain all the good nutrients and vitamins associated with animal products but they don’t come with all the incredibly unhealthy aspects like cholesterol, trans fat, hormones, antibiotics, etc?

The issues with the whole “everything in moderation” argument is that if something is bad for you, it’s bad for you. It doesn’t matter if you consume a lot or a little, it’s still bad for you. Now, you could smoke one cigarette a month and it wouldn’t give you cancer or kill you but that cigarette is still bad for you. Likewise, you could eat a slice of bacon once a month and although it wouldn’t kill you, it is still inherently bad for you

And if you could provide a peer reviewed study that proves it’s full of lies that’d be really helpful. You see, The Game Changers is backed up by scientific and medical, peer reviewed studies. Your claim is, as of yet, completely unsubstantiated.

Now, your assumption that veganism is somehow unsustainable, that’s a falsehood.

The trouble with all diet information regardless of the expertise is that it’s never more than a few months or years away from contradiction by another expert body or individual. And no one can agree. It’s great you believe in one version of the truth but I’m afraid it just doesn’t exist so chances are we’re all wrong. Nor will you find standardisation on all manner of definitions of terms etc. We live in an age of extremism and polarisation and it’s apparent in diet as much as it is politics, sport and everything else seemingly!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Good luck [MENTION=274]Weezle[/MENTION]. You may become intolerant to dairy after a while though.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

You make reference to Vegan diets being "adequate". Is that all? From your previous posts, I would have implied they are more than that. Are you implying eating a slice of bacon is the same as smoking a cigarette?

A balanced diet is fine, whether you are vegan or not. Just respect the opinion of those who don't agree with you.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
You make reference to Vegan diets being "adequate". Is that all? From your previous posts, I would have implied they are more than that. Are you implying eating a slice of bacon is the same as smoking a cigarette?

A balanced diet is fine, whether you are vegan or not. Just respect the opinion of those who don't agree with you.

I’m stating the official position from both dietary bodies. As someone who has been vegan for over a year, I would say it is more than adequate. I will however not deliberately misquote said organisations to prove a point. And re bacon, I think the comparison is relatively clear. I am merely stating the well known fact that they (bacon and cigarettes) are unhealthy, and eating bacon or having a cigarette in moderation doesn’t prevent those facts from being true. How is pointing that out disrespecting someone’s opinion? ???

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
After watching documentaries such as The Game Changers and What the Health on Netflix, I've decided to give going vegan a go.

I have tried once before, but I only last a week. I just found the food bland, uninteresting and difficult!

No meat is challenging enough. Adding in no cheese and no eggs just makes it near impossible! However, I am keen to really try. I'm running the Paris marathon in April and maybe this will help me improve my performance if the documentaries are to be believed along with anecdotes from friends.

So can anybody on here offer me any advice? What are your go to quick and tasty vegan meals as I don't have a lot of time to prepare.

Where can I find good vegan recipes? As at the moment I find the food uninspiring.

What can I have for snacks so I don't fall off the vegan wagon?

All help and advice is appreciated.

I would suggest you look on you tube.

Also don't forget to invade a restaurant and insult anyone eating meat!

Good luck with it though.
I have stopped eating meat for about a month now and so far, have enjoyed the veggie options.

:D

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m stating the official position from both dietary bodies. As someone who has been vegan for over a year, I would say it is more than adequate. I will however not deliberately misquote said organisations to prove a point. And re bacon, I think the comparison is relatively clear. I am merely stating the well known fact that they (bacon and cigarettes) are unhealthy, and eating bacon or having a cigarette in moderation doesn’t prevent those facts from being true. How is pointing that out disrespecting someone’s opinion? ???

Bacon in moderation is perfectly fine.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I didn't know bacon was unhealthy. Those pesky Danes flooding the planet with poison.

I await the supermarkets putting it behind special screens and restricting sales to the over 18s at the earliest opportunity.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
After watching documentaries such as The Game Changers and What the Health on Netflix, I've decided to give going vegan a go.

I have tried once before, but I only last a week. I just found the food bland, uninteresting and difficult!

No meat is challenging enough. Adding in no cheese and no eggs just makes it near impossible! However, I am keen to really try. I'm running the Paris marathon in April and maybe this will help me improve my performance

Just cut back on the booze and ignore all that vegan BS and you'll do just fine :thumbsup:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Bacon in moderation is perfectly fine.

But having it in moderation doesn’t make it the product itself healthy does it? The World Health Organization declared processed meat, such as bacon, a "carcinogen" that increases your risk of colon or rectum cancer by 18 percent.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But having it in moderation doesn’t make it the product itself healthy does it? The World Health Organization declared processed meat, such as bacon, a "carcinogen" that increases your risk of colon or rectum cancer by 18 percent.

They did. And then they reversed that declaration last Spring. Back and processed meats are perfectly fine in moderation. I don’t eat processed meats anymore because they taste disgusting. I eat decent bacon now and then.
I don’t have meat in the house and only eat good quality meat when I’m dining out.

But yes, bacon is fine. Eat some.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
They did. And then they reversed that declaration last Spring. Back and processed meats are perfectly fine in moderation. I don’t eat processed meats anymore because they taste disgusting. I eat decent bacon now and then.
I don’t have meat in the house and only eat good quality meat when I’m dining out.

But yes, bacon is fine. Eat some.

Bacon isn’t fine, processed meat is incredibly unhealthy and is linked to a whole host of some of the Western World's top killers: heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and various types of cancer. Moderation doesn’t change these facts and, being vegan, no I won’t eat some, thanks.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bacon isn’t fine, processed meat is incredibly unhealthy and is linked to a whole host of diseases including and contribute to some of the Western World's top killers: heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and various types of cancer. Moderation doesn’t change these facts and, being vegan, no I won’t eat some, thanks.

Go on, have some pigs in blankets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports