Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Going Vegan (after xmas)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I see an advert for a burger chain I think, 'that doesn't apply to me'. You see an advert from a vegan affiliation and feel put out about it and need to tell me why. Who's preaching to whom? :shrug:

i dont care much same as you. comment was about the different messages in the original picture.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think after Christmas is an excellent time. I turned vegetarian 41 years ago and then, a few months later, I fell off the wagon at Christmas. I said to myself, this is the last week I'm eating meat and gave up on the stroke of midnight on NYE (I'd eaten a sausage roll about 15 minutes before).

I think that last fling helped me get meat-eating out of my system as I haven't touched the stuff since then. I'm not vegan but am beginning to move that way and may well do the same thing again (although I had some vegan cheese today and it was absolutely vile - that could be a sticking point).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think after Christmas is an excellent time. I turned vegetarian 41 years ago and then, a few months later, I fell off the wagon at Christmas. I said to myself, this is the last week I'm eating meat and gave up on the stroke of midnight on NYE (I'd eaten a sausage roll about 15 minutes before).

I think that last fling helped me get meat-eating out of my system as I haven't touched the stuff since then. I'm not vegan but am beginning to move that way and may well do the same thing again (although I had some vegan cheese today and it was absolutely vile - that could be a sticking point).

I've been a veggie for c28 years and it's mainly cheese that is stopping me from even considering veganism.

In fact, I'm actually quite annoyed at the recent rise in popularity of veganism as now many places offer vegan dishes where they used to offer vegetarian options, which means either no cheese or weirdo non-cheese. More than once I've ordered a burger that was vegan, but asked for proper cheese instead of the vegan cheese it was listed as coming with.

Anyway, maybe there is light at the end of the cheese-less tunnel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjM1aExyTk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My PB over 5k, when eating meat, was 28:12. I went plant based last November and started seeing gains within a month or so..

That's a caveman body-response, shirley? "This bloke ain't fast enough to catch an animal. He can eat some grass for now, then we'll make him a bit faster so he can...."

:lolol:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Recently I've been doing vegetarian during the week and eating meat at weekends. I've been really surprised that I haven't really missed the meat for home cooked food during the week, but I do struggle if eating out or getting a takeaway at the weekend as the meat options always look much better.

Favourite dishes to cook so far are bean chilli and veggie curries, and thai curry works really well veggie/vegan as you just cut out the meat and add more veg. I have still been using fish sauce, but soy sauce would be fine I'm sure.

I have tried some of the meat substitutes, with mixed results - quorn mince bolognese was excellent, and you can get wheat-based 'bacon' that I could barely tell the difference from the real thing (shredded, not in rashers, so fine in a dish like carbonara). The quorn chicken definitely isn't as good as the real thing though. Tofu is ok in a stir fry if you get the extra firm stuff, cover it in flour and fry it, but I found it does quickly lose any crispiness once you put it in a sauce.

I have also been cooking with plenty of cheese as well though - paneer or halloumi are great as meat substitutes, and eating lots of eggs too. Not ready to give those up.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My son went Vegan about 10 months ago in support of his girlfriend. You'll be amazed how good some of the food is they prepare and eat. Nut roast on the menu Christmas day with various vegetables, Wifykins is nut roasting it as well

I typically stop picking my nose and farting for the first few months of a relationship; this is next level.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The only meat I'm able to have is chicken. Turkey might be ok but I hate the dryness of it.

I tried being a vegan - didn't work for me - but I'd say I'm close to being a vegetarian and explore things like peppers, chillies, with all the usual green ones like peas, broccoli, sprouts, cabbage etc. I like similar foods to my girlfriend because she /I/we don't want to argue over food.

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
Following on from what others have said; curries and spicy food are a great vegan option. I tried some recipes out of Meera Sodha’s ‘East’ vegan cookery book and I was blown away how tasty every recipe I tried turned out. I would highly recommend you get the book

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I recommend people watch the shows you've mentioned, there's many more too which have definitely changed the way I eat. Unfortunately most people aren't willing to change, judging by the latest election most people aren't intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves either.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

And the award for most condescending and patronising post of the year goes to....

I’m off for a McDonalds in my Tory constituency....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Trying to live a sustainable life with good moderation, most of what we (wife and me) eat is now vegan. I can't eat eggs or dairy for health reasons which helps. But every now and then I love a Gaucho steak or a dirty kebab.
There are some really good vegan cook books and you can make some good tasting meals. Good luck with it.

Side note, has the Amex stopped selling the Vegan slice? I've not seen them the past 2 games.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Honestly, don't bother.

As someone who pays very close attention to nutrition, and have worked with some of the top nutritionists in the country, the best advice i can give you is to carry on eating a well balanced diet, but eat more vegetables as well. If you want to make an active change to your diet, but one that is much more sustainable, look into Paleo.

As for The Game Changers, It's very misleading, and full of lies.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Honestly, don't bother.

As someone who pays very close attention to nutrition, and have worked with some of the top nutritionists in the country, the best advice i can give you is to carry on eating a well balanced diet, but eat more vegetables as well. If you want to make an active change to your diet, but one that is much more sustainable, look into Paleo.

As for The Game Changers, It's very misleading, and full of lies.

You seem to have completely ignored the ethical treatment of animals issue. I'm.guessing you voted Tory and are in favour of Brexit...

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm half vegan as I had some chips with the steak last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here