Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God, why two kidneys?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Now, that is unrelated and possibly worthy of a thread of its' own involving many A&E stories that may be apocryphal, or more worrying .... true

I'm going to keep it under observation.

I knew those yoga lessons would come in useful.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
We meet with doctor Reid and his team once a month,doesn't seem the same as talking with people that have had a child or other that have been there done it

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
I had cancer for the first time when i was 1 year old and lost one kidney then. I have lived for 50 years on one, but the remaining one has been deteriorating for 10 years or so - I'm told I have been unlucky in that my kidney is polycystic and failing because of that. My remaining kidney is down to 10% function so I need dialysis to compensate

Did your early teens put a lot of pressure on your remaining kidney

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Also, whilst this question has been put out there, what are we doing with appendix's (or appendices?). Only one each, but isn't this an entirely useless organ?

I'd rather go without my appendix and have two cocks instead.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Did your early teens put a lot of pressure on your remaining kidney

To be honest I never gave it any thought at all. I was never given any guidance about what to do or what not to do, other than drink plenty of water, it was never a big deal, I don't recall talking about it at all. It's a long time ago, if snything was mentioned it was more that I'd had cancer, not that I have one kidney.

I wouldn't be on dialysis now if it wasn't for the fact that my one kidney is polycystic, which is unlucky.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
To be honest I never gave it any thought at all. I was never given any guidance about what to do or what not to do, other than drink plenty of water, it was never a big deal, I don't recall talking about it at all. It's a long time ago, if snything was mentioned it was more that I'd had cancer, not that I have one kidney.

I wouldn't be on dialysis now if it wasn't for the fact that my one kidney is polycystic, which is unlucky.

Very unlucky,it's amazing what the body can take and do over time.as you say one good kidney is good enough to do the work of two

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Let's take the liver. Vital to a human life. There's only one on board. God mate, why only one of these?

Also on a separate note, why does liver taste so nice with bacon and onion?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
There are various health problems that frequently occur in people with one kidney - whether they were born with one, or whether they donated one. So although we can survive with just one, it is advantageous to have two - so in some ways comparable to why we have two arms, rather than one.

Interesting. I was born with one and having had problems yet - what have you heard?

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne

Thats what my wife had before her transplant last year and still has them in her, so only a matter of*time before they are removed, causing no end of problems, infections. Mother in law is up with you at R.S.C.H as she had same disease. She has been on dialysis for 16 years. How long do you have to wait after your op to go back on the register......

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Thats what my wife had before her transplant last year and still has them in her, so only a matter of*time before they are removed, causing no end of problems, infections. Mother in law is up with you at R.S.C.H as she had same disease. She has been on dialysis for 16 years. How long do you have to wait after your op to go back on the register......

I need.to speak with my consultant but someone said this week that you have to wait for a year after you get the all clear of cancer before getting back on the transplant register. I am clear of bowel cancer but have a spot on my liver they want to treat, so no all clear quite yet

When is your Mother In Law at her sessions, I do the early 7:30 sessions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here