Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God, why two kidneys?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is odd, isnt it, almost like its by accident rather than design.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
I'm glad I've got two,my son mite one day need my other one.the kidneys do everything,and when working right are like nothing else in the body,our son got HUS from e.coli at two years spent 6 weeks in London's evalina hospital

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I only have one and the second has just about conked out. 3 days a week on dialysis in hospital. Not a bundle of laughs.
With you on that...was on dialysis for 8 years...all day was sheer tiredness...lucky enough to get a transplant 26 years ago...still working...although not so good as it was...but as long as it keeps me off dialysis then that is worthwhile...mind you...pill popping has become a habit.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
There is no God first of all ???????

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
With you on that...was on dialysis for 8 years...all day was sheer tiredness...lucky enough to get a transplant 26 years ago...still working...although not so good as it was...but as long as it keeps me off dialysis then that is worthwhile...mind you...pill popping has become a habit.

I've done about 3 months, they hurried me on to it before I had to have major surgery for bowel cancer.

I have worked for 30 years and this week I have to start looking into getting benefits for the first time because I can't work. Dialysis sessions, as you know, are 4 hours 3 times a week, but in reality it takes a lot longer than that. I am currently suspended from the transplant list due to my cancer, but hope to get resumed as soon as I can.

Currently my only hope of working again is to be able to dialise at home, but that's not easy.

With you on the pill popping, one morning last month, my morning dosages added up to 28 pills !!!

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
If I could ask why some of you need dialysis,I'm trying to get a better understanding of kidney function reduction and how it affects others,we've struggled to find answers on haemolytic uraemia syndrome,lots on searches but hard to find people living with the after affects

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not knocking the fact that I have two kidneys, I may need them both one day, and many folk rely on the second one for medical reasons. Just wondered, though, what makes kidneys so special to warrant us having two. Why is only one heart and liver provided when they are equally as vital to our functioning as kidneys? Do you think God over designed as he saw kidneys as a bit of a weak human component, requiring the option of a spare?

God designed f**k all, get over it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If I could ask why some of you need dialysis,I'm trying to get a better understanding of kidney function reduction and how it affects others,we've struggled to find answers on haemolytic uraemia syndrome,lots on searches but hard to find people living with the after affects

I had cancer for the first time when i was 1 year old and lost one kidney then. I have lived for 50 years on one, but the remaining one has been deteriorating for 10 years or so - I'm told I have been unlucky in that my kidney is polycystic and failing because of that. My remaining kidney is down to 10% function so I need dialysis to compensate

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
There are various health problems that frequently occur in people with one kidney - whether they were born with one, or whether they donated one. So although we can survive with just one, it is advantageous to have two - so in some ways comparable to why we have two arms, rather than one.

So, either kidneys are a bit of a design flaw or they are recognised as being hard working and more likely to pack up, and therefore two are provided. This compares to say, the liver, although George Best probably would probably preferred a backup.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What intrigues me are the 2nd set of teeth, are they alwAys there, hidden or do they appear from nowhere and why can't someone get a 3rd set to pop out at, say, 40ish. They would become very rich

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
it is odd, isnt it, almost like its by accident rather than design.

Really? I would look at it differently.

If by accident (evolution), I don't think that supports us having an organ that is unnecessary unless it was necessary in the past.

If by design, there is another use for it that science has discovered yet or the human race will need it in the future.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Symmetry is a successful and therefore attractive evolutionary trait although this doesn't really follow with internal organs where it's all about fitting in what we need. Most organs are high up to accommodate the gut.

This in no way answers your question.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
My Biology teacher at college told us that it was probably because they are located below the rib cage, and therefore not as well protected as other internal organs, making it very useful to have a spare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here