Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God, why two kidneys?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Kidneys contain Phenons ( spelling) that stave off many problems in the body. More renal mass, more phenons, fewer problems. Why in two's? So if one part is damaged it doesn't kill the entire mass, same reason we have two nuts.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Also, whilst this question has been put out there, what are we doing with appendix's (or appendices?). Only one each, but isn't this an entirely useless organ?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
There doesn't seem to be such thing as a design flaw in nature. It's reasonable to assume that we are better off with two kidneys and typically fine with one liver too, as long as we don't abuse it.

See my post about the appendix above. Design flaw I tell you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Also, whilst this question has been put out there, what are we doing with appendix's (or appendices?). Only one each, but isn't this an entirely useless organ?

I read somewhere that new born babies use their appendices in the first 6 months of life.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Every mammal has two kidneys as do lizards although fish only have one. It must have been an evolutionary advantage in some common ancestor...perhaps because, as filters, they are more prone to clogging up? Feck knows.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I read somewhere that new born babies use their appendices in the first 6 months of life.

Is this incase they need to look something up which is not really a part of the report, more of an add on containing relevent, yet 'additional' information?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

The appendix is a relic from a time when we ate a lot of far more indigestible fibre e.g. grasses, barks than we later evolved to eat. I recall that toothpaste waste aggregates there if swallowed to excess as it is indigestible chalky stuff.

That could be bollox though.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
The appendix is a relic from a time when we ate a lot of far more indigestible fibre e.g. grasses, barks than we later evolved to eat. I recall that toothpaste waste aggregates there if swallowed to excess as it is indigestible chalky stuff.

That could be bollox though.

Is toothpaste what causes appendices to go ape sh1t and explode? Perhaps that's why kids get appendicitouses (chk spelling), because they tend to eat more toothpaste cos it tastes nice.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Is toothpaste what causes appendices to go ape sh1t and explode? Perhaps that's why kids get appendicitouses (chk spelling), because they tend to eat more toothpaste cos it tastes nice.

It could equally be bogies in that case.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Your appendix … it’s there for a reason by Ken Ham and Carl Wieland (abridged)

If the appendix is a specially designed organ with a function, why do so many people suffer from appendicitis, which requires the appendix to be urgently removed to prevent death?

Answer:
Appendicitis is only common in countries where a very highly refined modern diet is eaten. Where people eat a high proportion of vegetables, fruit and unrefined cereals, (in other words, have a high fibre diet), appendicitis is actually very rare. The original diet for which we were designed was obviously much more like that.

Today, the appendix is recognized as a highly specialized organ with a rich blood supply. This is not what we would expect from a degenerate, useless structure.

The appendix contains a high concentration of lymphoid follicles. These are highly specialized structures which are a part of the immune system. The clue to the appendix’s function is found in its strategic position right where the small bowel meets the large bowel or colon. The colon is loaded with bacteria which are useful there, but which must be kept away from other areas such as the small bowel and the bloodstream.

Through the cells in these lymphoid follicles, and the antibodies they make, the appendix is ‘involved in the control of which essential bacteria come to reside in the caecum and colon in neonatal life’. Like the very important thymus gland in our chest, it is likely that the appendix plays its major role in early childhood. It is also probably involved in helping the body recognize early in life that certain foodstuffs, bacterially derived substances, and even some of the body’s own gut enzymes, need to be tolerated and not seen as ‘foreign’ substances needing attack.

But if it has a function, why can it be removed without ill effects?

Our body has been brilliantly designed, with plenty in reserve, and the ability for some organs to take over the function of others. Thus there are a number of organs which everybody agrees have a definite function, but we can still cope without them. Some examples:

Your gall bladder has a definite function—it stores bile from the liver, and squirts it into the intestine as required to help with the digestion of fat. However, it can be removed and the body will cope—for instance, by secreting more bile continuously.

You can cope with having a kidney out, because there is still enough kidney tissue left in the other one. (In the same way, a part of the Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue, which includes the appendix, can be removed, and the remaining lymphoid tissue will usually be enough to carry on the total function). You won’t suffer from having your thymus out (if you’re an adult), because this extremely important gland, which ‘educates’ your immune cells when you are very young, is then no longer required. This is likely to be very relevant to the appendix.

Making antibodies

The appendix, in conjunction with other parts of the body which also contain cells called B-lymphocytes, manufactures several types of antibodies:
1.IgA immunoglobulins, involved in surface or mucosal immunity. These are vital in maintaining the protective barrier between the bowel and the bloodstream.
2.IgM and IgG immunoglobulins, which fight invaders via the bloodstream.

The appendix is in fact part of the G.A.L.T. (Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue) system. The lymphoid follicles develop in the appendix at around two weeks after birth, which is the time when the large bowel begins to be colonized with the necessary bacteria. It is likely that its major function peaks in this neonatal period.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The appendix creates antibodies in very young children and it has been discovered it still serves this purpose to a degree in adults. It literally exposes the white blood cells to bad bacteria etc in the gut and boosts the immune system. Because it is exposed to quite a lot of bugs etc it can often become infected.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If I could ask why some of you need dialysis,I'm trying to get a better understanding of kidney function reduction and how it affects others,we've struggled to find answers on haemolytic uraemia syndrome,lots on searches but hard to find people living with the after affects

I have no idea what haemolytic uraemia synrome is - I assume you ask for a reason

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
I have no idea what haemolytic uraemia synrome is - I assume you ask for a reason

My son has had it and now we are left with the after bit,high blood pressure,reduced kidney function and as it's a rare thing( our gp has not treated anyone with this in 30 years)it hard to fined people that are recovering or had it in the past,from what the doctors say it's a bit of a lottery what happens as he gets older,his four now and a year on so it's a big waiting game

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
On a slightly unrelated note, at what point does an impassable stool become worthy of medical attention?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My son has had it and now we are left with the after bit,high blood pressure,reduced kidney function and as it's a rare thing( our gp has not treated anyone with this in 30 years)it hard to fined people that are recovering or had it in the past,from what the doctors say it's a bit of a lottery what happens as he gets older,his four now and a year on so it's a big waiting game

Very sorry to hear that, and best wishes to your boy. I can't offer anything much of use, but you could try talking to one of the renal consultants at Sussex County, they're very good, they might be able to offer info or recommend someone.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
On a slightly unrelated note, at what point does an impassable stool become worthy of medical attention?

Now, that is unrelated and possibly worthy of a thread of its' own involving many A&E stories that may be apocryphal, or more worrying .... true

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If God did make me I am almost certain I am not using myself in the way he intended.

If he could go back he might make some adjustments, not least strengthening my liver and the muscles in my right arm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here