GOD: How much do you believe in him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
still looking for God to come to the rescue? i could take some degree of responsibility for famine and give up my standard of living,relinquish my cosy UK ivory tower lifestyle and help others in war torn Africa.natural events are just that,disease a by product of perhaps both.

??? you are responsible for the rains failing, or the monsoon destroying a crop, or cattle dieing of a bovine disease, or warlords/factions fighting over a territory? i think from your ivory tower you ignore that such things have always occured. as you say, natural events are just that and the point is God doesnt do anything to protect or prevent undue suffering from nature.

Beorhthelm

You misunderstand. We are the creators with our free will.

i certainly do misunderstand. i dont understand how human free will creates malaria, how human free will causes an earthquake that kills thousands, how free will makes a baby born with a life threatening deformity (unless you consider this a punishment on the parent for their life). did someone's free will intend to cause the Welsh mine to collapse this weekend?

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good God

Good God

Monotheism
Definition: there is one God.
Adherents: Christian, Jews, and Muslims

Polytheism
Definition: there are many gods.
Adherents: Hinduism, Greek / Romans Religion

Pantheism
Definition: God is everything
Adherents: Some forms of Buddhism

Animism
Definition: God is in everything.
Adherents: Tribal religions

Henotheism
Definition: There are many gods, but only one
God is meaningful to its adherents and worthy of
worship
Adherents: Mormonism

Agnosticism
Definition: God is an unknowable

Atheism
Definition: There is no God

http://www.ewabaptist.org/theismhandout.pdf

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
??? you are responsible for the rains failing, or the monsoon destroying a crop, or cattle dieing of a bovine disease, or warlords/factions fighting over a territory? i think from your ivory tower you ignore that such things have always occured. as you say, natural events are just that and the point is God doesnt do anything to protect or prevent undue suffering from nature.

i certainly do misunderstand. i dont understand how human free will creates malaria, how human free will causes an earthquake that kills thousands, how free will makes a baby born with a life threatening deformity (unless you consider this a punishment on the parent for their life). did someone's free will intend to cause the Welsh mine to collapse this weekend?

First of all, how do you know God doesn't do anything to help natural disasters etc? For all you know they could have been much much worse without his intervention.

It's ok not to understand. There is so so much none of us understand. I definitely don't believe God punishes. We decide. do I have to repeat myself?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
First of all, how do you know God doesn't do anything to help natural disasters etc? For all you know they could have been much much worse without his intervention.

so you propose he is powerless to prevent disasters but can may make some intervention to help. we come back to the original question:

...if God is all powerfull, all knowing and benevolent, how why does he allow evil, manifest as war, famine, disease, suffering, abuse, etc.

seems you still cant offer an answer, although you've done a good job of sidesteping the obvious trap laid. seems you are content with a less than all powerfull, all knowing and benevolent god. which begs the (rhetorical) question, why dont go for one of the other hundreds of gods, maybe Odin or Zeus?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I have recently changed my Avatar to -Brighton's old town council coat of arms to show and declare my belief.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Hey God, what is the meaning of all this?
Alas, mere mortal, its absurd and you will never know the answer.

Absurdism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from post 1771 on this thread
For a thread on God there seems to be such an interest from NON believers,try to prove there is a god? well i cannot,nor can science tell me,who or what i am,at a base level,science is a wonderful subject matter,but until science proves that the BIG BANG came from more than just no-thing,or nothing then i will continue to believe.,however when it does the game will be up.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
f*** sake pres , there can't be a god .........recent research shows that the cosmos is vastly more vast than the vastest vast thing that people who discover vast things have ever discovered , therefore we are a blip on a tiny zitt in a vast part of an even vaster unit that is our universe ...........to say that one person/entity created this/us is utter twank.........and that is taking west life , boyzone and wet wet wet into account.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
f*** sake pres , there can't be a god .........recent research shows that the cosmos is vastly more vast than the vastest vast thing that people who discover vast things have ever discovered , therefore we are a blip on a tiny zitt in a vast part of an even vaster unit that is our universe ...........to say that one person/entity created this/us is utter twank.........and that is taking west life , boyzone and wet wet wet into account.

you know some but also demonstrate very little-it's so vast it cannot ever be comprehended by our minds-give a few moments to think what holds the universe? something must be outside the universe to hold it? right? i cannot comprehend it,there was no beginning there is no end,we are here to experience and remember who we are,nothing has limits so have no fear and do not look to God to put right,as we have free will.

So what what happens,we have free will,only we can change things for better,we can do it,each of us if we really tried.

The Earth,constantly evolving is 4500 million years old,kind of puts things into perspective...believe whatever you want to believe.

God is not a he or a she or a person,NOT JUDGEMENTAL/NOR WILL DO THINGS FOR YOU OTHER THAN TO EMPOWER YOU TO DO THINGS FOR YOURSELVES-God is the ABSOLUTE.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
images

even the largest star in this picture pales into total and utter insignificance,when compared to the Milky way(our galaxy) never mind the universe.

Our sun by the way is just under Betelgeuse,hidden from the naked eye in this picture,due to the scale-

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
you know some but also demonstrate very little-it's so vast it cannot ever be comprehended by our minds-give a few moments to think what holds the universe? something must be outside the universe to hold it? right? i cannot comprehend it,there was no beginning there is no end,we are here to experience and remember who we are,nothing has limits so have no fear and do not look to God to put right,as we have free will.

So what what happens,we have free will,only we can change things for better,we can do it,each of us if we really tried.

The Earth,constantly evolving is 4500 million years old,kind of puts things into perspective...believe whatever you want to believe.

God is not a he or a she or a person,NOT JUDGEMENTAL/NOR WILL DO THINGS FOR YOU OTHER THAN TO EMPOWER YOU TO DO THINGS FOR YOURSELVES-God is the ABSOLUTE.

we are NOTHING , for us to believe in a god and therefore expect an afterlife is presumptuous as f*** in the least , i am not sure what i believe in but there sure as shyte aint no god.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

and you missed the humour in there.......:(why do i bother for f*** sake ):

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
we are NOTHING , for us to believe in a god and therefore expect an afterlife is presumptuous as f*** in the least , i am not sure what i believe in but there sure as shyte aint no god.

fair comment-i expect to come back or move to another plain when ready,that said looking at the overall picture it's sad to think that each and everything on this planet that lives has a soul,a conscience and that it's all a one off event,created by chance,upon death to go to ,never to be seen again-are we the only ones? maybe,i doubt it,we may never know-but seriously why? what for? so what,it matters not,we agree to love the Albion,i choose God,you do not,so what.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...give a few moments to think what holds the universe? something must be outside the universe to hold it? right? i cannot comprehend it,

i think you rather demostrate how gods are created to deal with the enormity and complexity of life. there doesnt have to be anything outside the universe, as by definition it is everything. if gods where to exist they would do so within the universe.

you are playing on that free will argument again, please explain how free will could have prevented the Fukushima earthquake? if God isnt judgemental (despite plenty of anadotal evidence in the bible claiming he is), why would anyone be judged to be good or bad upon death and their future residence based on this? If God is the "absolute", why do so many die needlessly of diseases?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
and you missed the humour in there.......:(why do i bother for f*** sake ):

Did I? well i may not be old enough to have missed the point,however,without wishing to fall out as i like you as a poster(who am i to say as a newbie?)but not unlike your need to swear,i find it not very amusing-for the record i can swear like the rest of them.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
fair comment-i expect to come back or move to another plain when ready,that said looking at the overall picture it's sad to think that each and everything on this planet that lives has a soul,a conscience and that it's all a one off event,created by chance,upon death to go to ,never to be seen again-are we the only ones? maybe,i doubt it,we may never know-but seriously why? what for? so what,it matters not,we agree to love the Albion,i choose God,you do not,so what.

it's a tricky subject and no doubt mate .........all i know is that brian cox's recent series of doccos' has blown my mind wide open .....150 million light years of universe , i mean fucksake , there must be some doooods out there somewhere with better speakers than ours ......nawatameeen...! no offence meant btw .

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i think you rather demostrate how gods are created to deal with the enormity and complexity of life. there doesnt have to be anything outside the universe, as by definition it is everything. if gods where to exist they would do so within the universe.

you are playing on that free will argument again, please explain how free will could have prevented the Fukushima earthquake? if God isnt judgemental (despite plenty of anadotal evidence in the bible claiming he is), why would anyone be judged to be good or bad upon death and their future residence based on this? If God is the "absolute", why do so many die needlessly of diseases?

Earthquakes? the rumblings of Earth,the tectonic plates that give and take life from us.

Man's desire to live on Earthquake zones to make use of the fertile soils that are in the areas,not unlike living near Volcano's,means some risk is taken,free will could have avoided death near earthquake zones as the people choose freely to live in such areas-and will continue to do so.

Disease? hmm,i am no medical man but all i can say is each so called problem contains an answer,so perhaps we have to learn,like we have in the past and eradicated many of the recent diseases that used to plague man,or at least learned to limit each diseases effect to a minimum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports