Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Not mistaking, no - but most Christian believers would say they follow Christ. And most who do so believe in the Trinity: God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And resurrection is at the heart of the historic Christian faith.

So anyone claiming to be God should reckon to have Death under his/her thumb, for starters ...

So how do you suggest you kill God?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
well you get my drift
Of course. There is life of other planets, it's too far fetched to think otherwise. But there's no life on those bright stars in the sky.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Okay, so to sum it up...for me, the amazing detail and precision in area of creation indicates to me that there is a creator who made it all and that the universe wasn't started due to a big bang that occurred from nothing and for no purpose. I know this doesn't make sense to you but I was just stating one of the many reasons I believe!

So if something is amazing, but you don't understand WHY it's amazing or HOW it came to be so amazing, you think someone or something must have made it?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does the big bang not prove that god does, or at least can exist?
No. Humans will never be able to prove that god does not exist. We'd only have proof he did exist if a) he actually did, and b) he felt like proving it (don't hold your breath)

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
God botherers f***ing ANNOY me! I mean GROW UP! We can now explain why the Sun exists, why the sky is blue and why Humans exist and it wasn't some magical man in the sky, f***ing pratt!! You don't need to fear some retribution in a non existent next life to be a good person in this one. Humans are on the whole good by nature.

Those with a conscience, yes. That you need to swear and insult, during this particular discussion, suggests your conscience isn't quite working on full mettle and needs a bit of examination.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Of course. There is life of other planets, it's too far fetched to think otherwise. But there's no life on those bright stars in the sky.

Do you know that for sure? yes your right,again you follow my drift....may be only 100 others from a billion billion -

Some one once likened trying to find extraterrestrial life as trying to find a new single grain of sand,on any given beach or desert anywhere in the world.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Man created Religion, but man created Atheism too, and he created Science. I don't know if God exists or not, and I tend not to think about it too much because I think Atheism depresses people.

Some of this, except that I believe man discovered science, it was there already but it took a long time for him to develop the understanding of it to a point where it could become useful. I don't know if God exists either, but on the balance of probabilities I don't believe there is one.

As for athiesm depressing people, I don't believe it depresses me, in fact I see it as something that liberates me...I am able to base my life choices on my own experiences and what I believe to be right or wrong, rather than having to abide by some particular texts and suffering a sense of guilt when I go against them.

However, I do believe that everyone should be free to make their own choice, whether that is to abide by some particular faith or religion or chose your own way in life. As for heaven and hell, I am prepared to take my chance, most of the interesting people I have met in my life have been non-Christian and I would rather spend eternity with them in the damnation of hell for being a non-believer...and at least I could get a bloody good curry!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Quote Originally Posted by birthofanorange View Post
If (hypothetically) I was to proclaim myself to be God, would you be able to prove or disprove the truth of my claim?

Well, being killed and coming back to life might be an interesting starting point ...

Why? There are other things which happen which could be said to be miraculous. For example, I was watching a 9/11 programme earlier, and the fire chief was stuck on the 6th floor stairwell (I think) when the North Tower came down around him. He survived, because his part of the stairwell was the only bit which wasn't damaged. There are many stories like that.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Most of the selfishness and violence comes from people acting in the name of religion though.

With religion, comes power, and many religious leaders, now and in the past, have and will do anything to hold on to their power. As I said elsewhere, the problem is not God, but religion.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I think as adults we have the right to choose god or not but it is totally wrong to educate kids into believing it, Is it really fair to drum god into them at such an early age ?

Actually, I think it is a better thing to bring up children knowing a faith, because it gives them a starting point from which to learn good and bad and it also gives them a sense of belonging. It is easier for people to abandon a faith when they are older, than to adopt one. That's partly the problem with society today, that no one gives a shit.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Okay, so to sum it up...for me, the amazing detail and precision in area of creation indicates to me that there is a creator who made it all and that the universe wasn't started due to a big bang that occurred from nothing and for no purpose. I know this doesn't make sense to you but I was just stating one of the many reasons I believe!

While I wonder at the nature of God, I do not see any God as a creator, but as part of the creation itself.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
With religion, comes power, and many religious leaders, now and in the past, have and will do anything to hold on to their power. As I said elsewhere, the problem is not God, but religion.

This is so true !!
I firmly believe there is a God, he has proven it to me. I wont say how as it is private to me.
I would say however that I dont believe in ANY religion, history has proven that religion causes more trouble/Wars than anything else.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
But if you don't have religion, how can you know/follow/worship your God?

Who needs to worship god ?
For me its just a case of doing what you think is right at any given time. If I need to talk to God I can do it anywhere any time.
Its religion that tells you you must worship God and abide by rules.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

But that is the religious view - to "follow" or "worship" your God. If there is no religion, you don't have to follow your God, or worship him (any God would be asexual, of course) according to the dictates of faith. You can talk or even pray to your God directly. Even according to the Bible, he is everywhere, so why should you need a priest to act as a go-between? We all pray every day, whether we realise it or not. PLEASE let Albion win today! PLEASE don't let it rain during our picnic! PLEASE let my mother live.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Creation,in it's purest form comes from a thought,turned into an idea,worked into existence -

Example,i feel thirsty,pub,after work a few hours later your in the place of worship

Lush

Mods' Pet
Who needs to worship god ?
For me its just a case of doing what you think is right at any given time. If I need to talk to God I can do it anywhere any time.
Its religion that tells you you must worship God and abide by rules.

Talking to a God is still a religious practice. If I try and stop you doing it, I am restricting your religious freedom. Not attacking your God.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here