Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Also, what is a God? What makes you God? Creator? Saviour? Faith? Is it something only the soul can understand and not the human mind?

Good question - what is God? We tend to hold our original childish view of God, as an old, white-haired man sitting on a cloud trying to make us feel guilty. But it is religion which makes us feel guilty, but religion tampers with our conscience to try and do what is right. But is God a thing? Or is God the meeting of all our souls and all our minds? We know we have minds, but we can't physically examine anyone's mind. We talk of the soul, but what is the soul? That deep part of us where our humanity lives, where our conscience is active, where our fight for survival and procreation is instinctive. Some people claim to read others' minds. Perhaps they can, because perhaps we all share the same mind or soul, but mostly, our own "section" of this communal soul is locked off from everyone else's, so that we can live our independent lives, in this body, or in another.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Bagsy I go in goal !!

Go on then,you have cat like features and are a bit mad i hope? i see we have a sub now as well.

I will play in front of the back four-like liam Jesus Bridcutt-

Edit: again how rude-if selected of course-

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I shall stay firmly in the 50:50 camp. If God exists (why does everyone say 'he'?), it's likely that God exists in a far different form to that which we personalise 'him' by. I doubt that such a supreme being would give a rat's arse about what we do down here. Most like to be busying 'himself' elsewhere by now - I know I would be.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Quote Originally Posted by birthofanorange View Post
If (hypothetically) I was to proclaim myself to be God, would you be able to prove or disprove the truth of my claim?

Indeed, we could not.

Well, being killed and coming back to life might be an interesting starting point ...

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
if god does exist he must be an arsehole, cos it would take so little effort for god to prove his existence, and therefore instantly change the world (everyone being good, no rape, murder, no paedophiles, no wars) because we all know we will be judged and can not escape. yet god keeps quiet, meaning there is so much evil around.

It is religion which would have you believe that God will judge us when we die. It is for all of us to find and listen to our own consciences when deciding upon our actions. That is the choice we can make as humans and some of us don't seem to have that ability.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
What-no real event although a death of a family member close to me drew things into perspective.
When-i have always been subject to belief,through education,hardship and experience.
How-through pausing to stop every once in a while & see the beauty in it all-good and bad.
S-stop
T-thinki
O-organise
P-prepare

Again no real proof,no real answer,almost certainly will not help you find God,but never give up listening,maybe an event will shake your world,maybe something will trigger a belief,maybe not,does it matter,well of course not,life will and must go on regardless.

I think as adults we have the right to choose god or not but it is totally wrong to educate kids into believing it, Is it really fair to drum god into them at such an early age ?

Crawley 'Gull

Oct 3, 2005
Crawley
How on earth do you get from 'the world is f**king amazing' to ....therefore there must be a God. Nonsense.

Are you also crediting God for the fact that we're f**king brilliant?

Okay, so to sum it up...for me, the amazing detail and precision in area of creation indicates to me that there is a creator who made it all and that the universe wasn't started due to a big bang that occurred from nothing and for no purpose. I know this doesn't make sense to you but I was just stating one of the many reasons I believe!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It is religion which would have you believe that God will judge us when we die. It is for all of us to find and listen to our own consciences when deciding upon our actions. That is the choice we can make as humans and some of us don't seem to have that ability.

Exactly. God and religion (though inextricably linked) are two entirely different things.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think as adults we have the right to choose god or not but it is totally wrong to educate kids into believing it, Is it really fair to drum god into them at such an early age ?

Sorry it came over wrong,i was never educated in any religious ways,normal Christian ways,nothing special- i mean a broad spectrum that's all,not fantastically educated in any way,just a good balanced understanding.and yes i agree keep kids away from it.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Sorry, are you mistaking God for Jesus?

Not mistaking, no - but most Christian believers would say they follow Christ. And most who do so believe in the Trinity: God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And resurrection is at the heart of the historic Christian faith.

So anyone claiming to be God should reckon to have Death under his/her thumb, for starters ...

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I would argue you are looking for 'God' through the eyes of an existing religion. Forget religion and look for 'God'. Cut out the middle man as it were.

I think that is the crux of the matter - that the existence of God is seen only through religion. It's religion that is the problem, not God. Imagine a world without priests (and other "middle men") who try to dictate what you should be thinking and believing in.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Do non believers ever say-

For Gods sake?

Or

Jesus Christ?

or

Thank God for that?

just words i know-just wondered like-

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn't it also a bit of a leap of faith to be expounding Darwin's Theory of Evolution as if it were Fact ???
Er, no. There's enough evidence to show how his theory is correct, you don't need a leap of faith.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Absolutely agree. My own view is that there is that man is clearly more than the sum of his parts. There's something undefineable that gives us life and thought. Likewise the universe is more than the sum of its parts but we just don't have the necessary mental tools to comprehend it. Man trying to prove whether God exists or not is like asking a caveman to explain Tetris.

Completely agree.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
God can F&ck off she is a whore and i know i will not be punished,why should i,with free will-i may come back next term,or move on,i have much to achieve and notg to live for,we are all dead,so make the mhinost of it-i love life but if ends tomorrow so be it,it's not the end-i prefer to exchange the word GOD with LIFE....

Edit- Gold wishes to merely emphasize the fact that God is not judgemental,answers throughout the ages,to those that listen,that he will answer before you have asked-bears no responsibility for earthquakes,starvation or any other natural/man made affairs-KARMA-be good and good will return,have faith and treat others as you wish to be treated-always keep an open mind and act with humility and compassion-treat materialistic goods as a,extra,not a need,need nothing in fact and above all else-stand you ground,however,if your time is up,then go without fear.

See above HG-this controversial to some view still stands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here