Votes: 262 60.9%
  • No goal

Votes: 168 39.1%

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You can only draw the line, from the painted line, to the painted line on the pitch. That will always be accurate. Using the goal post and crossbar as reference doesn’t tell us anything, if that was the original intention.

The goal posts and cross bar should be the same width as the goal line. If you're looking from the side, the goal post is the most accurate representation. From the side and above the goal posts and goal line should line up so you shouldn't see the goal line.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The goal posts and cross bar should be the same width as the goal line. If you're looking from the side, the goal post is the most accurate representation. From the side and above the goal posts and goal line should line up so you shouldn't see the goal line. That you can see the goal line and the post in that picture shows the angle is not exactly side on.

Yep

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've gone from 'Goal' based on the first pictures from in front of the goal, to 'non-goal' based on the goal-line picture on this thread to 'probably a goal' based on this picture, and the difference in angle between the post and the goal-line

BXsq2bLCEAE9-BB.jpg

But it's certainly not conclusive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've gone from 'Goal' based on the first pictures from in front of the goal, to 'non-goal' based on the goal-line picture on this thread to 'probably a goal' based on this picture

But that's the point of my earlier question. If you were a ref and thought "it's probably a goal but can't be sure", would you give it or not?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've gone from 'Goal' based on the first pictures from in front of the goal, to 'non-goal' based on the goal-line picture on this thread to 'probably a goal' based on this picture, and the difference in angle between the post and the goal-line

View attachment 48170

But it's certainly not conclusive.

That is pretty conclusive really. In perspective the near post should obscure the whole line as it's closest to the camera and therefore should be bigger than everything behind it, and yet you can see some of the goal line in front of it, that in turn means that the rear of the goal line is actually well forward of the back line of the near post (it can't be in line due to perspective and we can see part of the line in front of the post). Very probably more than likely should have been given as a goal.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ok - now you guys (yes, I'm talking to you, Bozza and you, Bold Seagull) are doing my head in.

I voted "Goal" originally. Then went to "probable Goal", based on looking more carefully at the side on view, and then ended up at "no goal" based on a further frame being shown in the Sky footage.

Now you're trying to persuade me it's "probable goal" after all. Leave me alone, already!

I think my final say on this matter is that it's either a goal or it isn't, and I'm now officially beyond caring!

:lolol:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ok - now you guys (yes, I'm talking to you, Bozza and you, Bold Seagull) are doing my head in.

I voted "Goal" originally. Then went to "probable Goal", based on looking more carefully at the side on view, and then ended up at "no goal" based on a further frame being shown in the Sky footage.

Now you're trying to persuade me it's "probable goal" after all. Leave me alone, already!

I think my final say on this matter is that it's either a goal or it isn't, and I'm now officially beyond caring!

:lolol:

Yep, either way it makes up for the wicked deflected goal on 4 mins, and we certainly deserved the draw. If it had of counted it could have been considered a Greer own goal? but that's another debate altogether.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Loving that glaring contradiction.
However, it is not pretty conclusive. If you want to argue that the camera is not in line this is valid, but, you can not say that it means the ball is over the line. To work this out you would need to know the elevation, horizontal distance and angle of the camera to the goal line. I would bet that none of us have this information, and certainly not to an accurate enough precision, in order to determine if that shot has the ball over or not.
It is inconclusive at best. Therefore, the only result a referee or us can make is: NO GOAL.

I'm actually worried you are genuinely taking this thread seriously!

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
Been a really interesting thread this, bit of a roller coaster of goal, no-goal, goal. I for one never knew there was so much difference between viewing angles.

As has been said, I think it comes down to the fact the ref/lino can't - and will not - give a goal unless he is 100% convinced it is a goal. From their view-points there is no way they can say the ball was over the line so they made the right call - hey, we're still debating it 5 days later so that backs up the refs decision at the time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this thread being bounced when we see a Premier League match where, from the main TV camera it looks like a clear goal, but then Hawk-Eye shows that it wasn't.

It's been educational!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
@NorthStandChat: For the geometrically challenged - why #watfordfc's non-goal vs #BHAFC may have been correct - http://t.co/WEGMP70tAg (via @JamieCutteridge)

I had a play around with this and turned it on it side and tried to get it more central taking out the unnecessary clips

myclips_zpsc119bdb3.gif

Quality not as good as i converted it to gif.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here