• Goal

Votes: 262 60.9%
  • No goal

Votes: 168 39.1%

• Total voters

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
I'm not one to knock Andy Naylor for the sake of it - I subscribe to the digital version of the Argus, and it remains one of the best sources of information about the club. However, today's article is possibly the shoddiest piece of journalism I have ever read in the paper.

The caption to the series of photos shown says "...but the ball is clearly over the line". Except - the ball IS NOT clearly over the line, because from the angle presented it is impossible to tell (as has now been done to death on this very thread, although there are still a few numpties, it would appear, who cannot grasp that fact).

Whilst Naylor himself probably didn't write that caption, his article does state "Fernando Forestieri's shot .... was over the line when Gordon Greer had a second stab at clearing it." Not satisfied with that, he goes on to say "Any Albion fan trying to argue otherwise is viewing replays of the incident through blue and white tinted spectacles."

Mr Naylor, you have had more than 24 hours to study the video evidence, make sure you understand the definition of a goal, and write a piece that will inform and (possibly) educate your readership. Instead, you get it spectacularly wrong, and insult a big chunk of your audience at the same time. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Methinks original quotes (mine anyway) were possibly being a little ironic about Naylor. :wink:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
How about this? The last shot is the shot fading into Forster-Caskey taking a corner so it is much of the incident as we have. But Greer has touched the ball by then.
View attachment 48112

Yep, ok. I think he has indeed touched the ball by the last frame, so it, at the very least, has to have stopped going into the goal by that point. Thus, no goal!

Aren't linos good these days?!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I found this on the Watford forum.

disgaol.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How about this? The last shot is the shot fading into Forster-Caskey taking a corner so it is much of the incident as we have. But Greer has touched the ball by then.
View attachment 48112

Anyone STILL arguing that it is a goal is basically arguing that black is white. It was FACTUALLY not a goal.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
By luck, judgment or just plain not knowing they seem to have got it right (as far as we can tell).
Also, a MASSIVE well done to Greer!

Eh? The officials were not 100 per cent sure it was a goal so they didn't give it. How is that luck?

And why is it well done Greer? Look at his first touch again and tell me that it couldn't have been better and the whole controversy avoided.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Anyone STILL arguing that it is a goal is basically arguing that black is white. It was FACTUALLY not a goal.

I literally cannot believe some people! The second I saw the replay and the commentators said 'well over' I was screaming 'no it's. Not' at the tele! There is no doubt that the correct decision was made, yet still some clueless people still don't get it. Some Watford woman on twitter said I was the 'biggest idiot' she'd ever spoke to ever as I tried to explain it wasn't in! Even drew a patronising diagram for me of the first camara angle loool!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I literally cannot believe some people! The second I saw the replay and the commentators said 'well over' I was screaming 'no it's. Not' at the tele! There is no doubt that the correct decision was made, yet still some clueless people still don't get it. Some Watford woman on twitter said I was the 'biggest idiot' she'd ever spoke to ever as I tried to explain it wasn't in! Even drew a patronising diagram for me of the first camara angle loool!

IDIOT

but your correct :)

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I know there's not much point in prolonging this much longer but I thought the two pictures on the Argus letter page today that someone sent in are interesting. Both were the same shot taken from different angles and would seem to suggest that its now more likely that the officials were correct and its not a goal.

ball606.jpg

The second shot shows that the ball hasn't crossed the line completely although the first looks certain that it had. Anyway if there is any doubt then the ref is right to disallow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here