Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not sure what point you are making there. We let both of them go.

We received compensation for letting crofts go. If we are willing to spend a transfer fee on Murray, why not just have given him more money and keep him? There's something about paying for a player we let go for nothing that I don't like.

According to the argus we got upwards of £300,000 for Crofts when Norwich took him. That is less than we are rumoured to have paid to get him back, and I don't like that, but we and norwich are in different positions, and Crofts has come back with experience he wouldn't have got with us (championship promotion, premier league football), and that improvement in his experience list offsets the difference in transfer fees.

Murray would be coming back to us with none of that. If he stayed with us he would have the same championship experience, we're not paying for his improvement at another club.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Does that mean you also didn't want Crofts back, who was a player we let go two years ago?

Did we let Crofts go then? I was under the impression that Norwich made an offer and we did the honourable thing in not standing in the way of his career despite him being an important member of the team.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Don't forget he played a lot of games for us with a dodgy hernia. His last season with us was his best because he was the fittest he'd ever been whilst at the Albion. As for no rapport with the fans, I can recall one game where he played his socks off, got injured, walked past the south stand to an ovation and returned the applause to the crowd. He took way too much undeserved stick from our fans IMHO. I'd have him back in a heartbeat despite his 'crime against football'.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Murray would be coming back to us with none of that. If he stayed with us he would have the same championship experience, we're not paying for his improvement at another club.

Quite the opposite, we'd be paying Palace for his decline in form since he left us. Thanks for nothing CPFC.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If Palace let him go on a free if have Glenn back for sure. It is so obvious he hates playing for the scum and that they are broke they will probably be glad to get him off the wage bill.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Murray was desperate to stay at the Albion and was offered a reasonable contract for what the club thought he was worth. Palace offered a similar contract and there was not much difference in the weekly wage. The issue was that Murray was basically skint and almost bankrupt and these are all facts that I know and have had confirmed to me by someone with direct access to that information. Murray needed a signing on fee to balance his books and put him back on his feet, Palace were offering one circa £300k and we weren't prepared to offer anything other than a contract extension. It was that simple, a financial decision and nothing to do with football or wanting to play for Palace (come on I mean as if that was ever a serious consideration!). As we have proven in the last 2 years our financial clout and resources are far superior to Palace and if Gus had really thought Murray was integral to his plans we could have easily financed it but chose not to. Murray had a very tough choice to make and did what was best for himself under the circumstances. As for having him back? As long as it was a reasonable deal for the Albion I would take him, as a fit happy and confident Murray would certainly do well in our current team. I can't imagine he is particularly happy at Palace and that is reflected in his form and attitude. Knowing the real reasons for his departure I can't say I would hold any grudges against him. Really don't think there is any truth in the rumour however.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Murray was desperate to stay at the Albion and was offered a reasonable contract for what the club thought he was worth. Palace offered a similar contract and there was not much difference in the weekly wage. The issue was that Murray was basically skint and almost bankrupt and these are all facts that I know and have had confirmed to me by someone with direct access to that information. Murray needed a signing on fee to balance his books and put him back on his feet, Palace were offering one circa £300k and we weren't prepared to offer anything other than a contract extension. It was that simple, a financial decision and nothing to do with football or wanting to play for Palace (come on I mean as if that was ever a serious consideration!). As we have proven in the last 2 years our financial clout and resources are far superior to Palace and if Gus had really thought Murray was integral to his plans we could have easily financed it but chose not to. Murray had a very tough choice to make and did what was best for himself under the circumstances. As for having him back? As long as it was a reasonable deal for the Albion I would take him, as a fit happy and confident Murray would certainly do well in our current team. I can't imagine he is particularly happy at Palace and that is reflected in his form and attitude. Knowing the real reasons for his departure I can't say I would hold any grudges against him. Really don't think there is any truth in the rumour however.

Spot on. But for balance I'll give the usual thick moron answer:

Nah he's shit and lazy and arrogant and northern and doesn't wave so f*** him. Judas c*** how dare he try to stop being BANKRUPT?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5086013 said:
Yes, we got £300k for Crofts

Which, given he was instrumental in helping them get promoted to the Premiership, was as good as giving him away.

Sunderland are about to pay £12 million for Steven Fletcher. That sum for a good player is understandable, but Fletcher?

Excuse my general ignorance here, but how does a professional footballer being paid several thousand pounds per week become Skint and almost Bankrupt?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Excuse my general ignorance here, but how does a professional footballer being paid several thousand pounds per week become Skint and almost Bankrupt?

Millionnaires go bankrupt all the time.

A lot of people live to the edge of their means, whatever their means are.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't forget he played a lot of games for us with a dodgy hernia. His last season with us was his best because he was the fittest he'd ever been whilst at the Albion. As for no rapport with the fans, I can recall one game where he played his socks off, got injured, walked past the south stand to an ovation and returned the applause to the crowd. He took way too much undeserved stick from our fans IMHO. I'd have him back in a heartbeat despite his 'crime against football'.

But he DIDN'T clap the fans at the end of 0-0 draw at Brentford, and therefore was rightly called WANKER for disrespecting the chucklesome superfans who had hilariously been chanting that he ditch his wife during the game.

So therefore he is a greedy, lazy, northern wanker.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
For me, the only valid debate is whether he is good enough for us to progress. I think he is but understand the views of those who don't. The fact that he went to Palace shouldn't be part of that debate.

I was disappointed to see him go but that's nothing to do with Palace, just that I thouight he was a very good player. As far as I'm concerned, he had a duty to himself and his family to take the best offer he could get. Club rivalries are totally irrelevant in that situation. All the 'Judas' comments are childish nonsense.

If the fee were appropriate to his abilities, I'd be happy for us to pay it and, again, it wouldn't matter to me that the money goes to Palace. If it's good business then fans' silly rivalries should have no part in that.

We're looking to build a very good team, not to massage fans' prejudices

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He was on £2,200 a week at the Albion when he signed from Rochdale, but was naive in his divorce settlement.

As someone who has been recently divorced knows, it can leave you with nothing!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Murray was excellent in our championship season. Painter was also very good in our championship season, but would we want Painter as our starting left back this season ? I think the team have improved a great deal in the last 18 months and even the most ardent Murray fan would have to agree that we would be getting back a player who, on most recent form, isn't as good as he was 18 months ago.

So for me, it's a no.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Murray was excellent in our championship season. Painter was also very good in our championship season, but would we want Painter as our starting left back this season ? I think the team have improved a great deal in the last 18 months and even the most ardent Murray fan would have to agree that we would be getting back a player who, on most recent form, isn't as good as he was 18 months ago.

So for me, it's a no.

What on earth are you on about?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
What I did find amusing at the time was the genuine belief by quite a few Palace fans that he had joined them for footballing reasons or because he saw them as a better prospect, bless the little arsonists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here