Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury - June 2019

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On the non-musical side of things, there was a lot of positive coverage this year about a) Glasto banning plastic water bottles; and b) the massive reception given to David Attenborough doing his "save the planet" thing. And then I've just seen the footage of people cleaning up the tons of biodegradable crap left behind by these supposedly environmentally-friendly festival goers:
https://twitter.com/bbcsomerset/status/1145663912257433601

The comments on that tweet are pathetic!

It's a commercial festival, they have an army of workers to clean it up FFS. The only hypocrites are the people making daft comments, you'd have to live completely off grid to avoid creating any waste, in this case the volume of people in a small space means it's a bit more concentrated and visible.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I know - they're still t*ssers though, IMO, to leave all that behind
While I agree, it's not like our football club are environmentally friendly.

Personally I think I cause more damage to the environment at football for the afternoon than I did in the entire 5 days at Glastonbury.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Fontaines DC are my favourite band at the moment. What were they like at their 3am slot?

3am slot venue was a tiny venue and only really managed to be on the periphery, but they just sound superb and seem to be able to ooze confidence without saying a word, the best set was the Williams Green set at 16:00 in a boiling tent at 29 degrees , you could feel the heat pulsating from the pit. Every gig they played was packed, really feel this could be the making of them.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
From an oldie....... How the f**k does he learn all those lyrics?

The same way you’d learn lyrics for any other song I guess. Practice, Practice, Practice. Dave normally brings somebody up on stage for that song if AJ Tracey can’t be there. If you’re a big fan and wanted a chance to have an experience like that then maybe you focus on knowing all the lyrics to that.

Anyway, I’m glad it worked so well because Dave is a national treasure; the nation just doesn’t know it yet. I think even a complete rap novice could appreciate the ability on show in songs like Leslie, Hangman, Black, Question Time, JKL & HYD etc etc. It’s terrifying to think he’s only 21. A future Glastonbury headliner, guaranteed.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The comments on that tweet are pathetic!

It's a commercial festival, they have an army of workers to clean it up FFS. The only hypocrites are the people making daft comments, you'd have to live completely off grid to avoid creating any waste, in this case the volume of people in a small space means it's a bit more concentrated and visible.

The righteous comments are a bit pathetic imo too - in the middle of a huge packed crowd, bit pissed up, you know a huge army of people will be cleaning up after it finishes ... Not saying people should just dump their stuff but it's unrealistic to think people are going to hold on to their waste in that situation. I'm pretty sure 90%+ of the people at glastonbury wouldn't be the type to drop their litter on the street/in parks etc. It is a bit different at a festival like that.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
That bit in the film right in front of the pyramid stage - it probably is quite hard to take your rubbish away. People are packed in all evening, who's going to hold onto an empty drinks cup for 5 hours :shrug:

I assumed he was talking more about people leaving their rubbish in their campsite, especially tents.

“I’ll save plastic by not using a straw with my weekly takeaway... but I’ll leave my tent, camping chair & assorted rubbish at Glasto” is a pretty stupid and common train of thought.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brilliant! He’s gone from less than 200 followers on twitter to nearly 50,000 in 2 days and had some massive celebs message him. Hope he’s enjoying his 15 minutes.

U.K. Hip-Hop having the most talked about performance and moment at Glasto. You love to see it.

I've just seen the performance. That's the internet won for the summer, everyone can come back in September.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
3am slot venue was a tiny venue and only really managed to be on the periphery, but they just sound superb and seem to be able to ooze confidence without saying a word, the best set was the Williams Green set at 16:00 in a boiling tent at 29 degrees , you could feel the heat pulsating from the pit. Every gig they played was packed, really feel this could be the making of them.

I hope so, I have high hopes for the autumn tour. Small venues and with the album out for a while and a higher profile - could be electric.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Having watched the cure concert again it is hard to see how the group could have done a better gig. Robert Smith gave a superb performance and they were all on their a game. Magical it was. If you don't like the cure fine but for a fan that was about as good as it can get

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
50th anniversary next year.

Obviously alot can happen in 12 months but who do you think are in the frame for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday headliner slots?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The same way you’d learn lyrics for any other song I guess. Practice, Practice, Practice. Dave normally brings somebody up on stage for that song if AJ Tracey can’t be there. If you’re a big fan and wanted a chance to have an experience like that then maybe you focus on knowing all the lyrics to that.

Anyway, I’m glad it worked so well because Dave is a national treasure; the nation just doesn’t know it yet. I think even a complete rap novice could appreciate the ability on show in songs like Leslie, Hangman, Black, Question Time, JKL & HYD etc etc. It’s terrifying to think he’s only 21. A future Glastonbury headliner, guaranteed.

This. I have just watched his performance and it was incredible. Wow.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Having watched the cure concert again it is hard to see how the group could have done a better gig. Robert Smith gave a superb performance and they were all on their a game. Magical it was. If you don't like the cure fine but for a fan that was about as good as it can get

It's like with every musical taste.
If you've followed a certain band / singer from their debut, then anything they do which is musically good or bad, you're always going to be there.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
50th anniversary next year.

Obviously alot can happen in 12 months but who do you think are in the frame for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday headliner slots?

Did the Foo Fighters ever reschedule after they had to withdraw a few years ago?

FF/Fleetwood Mac/A more current act... The1975?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's like with every musical taste.
If you've followed a certain band / singer from their debut, then anything they do which is musically good or bad, you're always going to be there.

I agree but if they a crap performance ok but it was faultless. Smith gave one of the greatest Glastonbury performances ever. What was clear is how good Smith is as a guitarist which is lost sometimes. It was an exceptional show

1.09 to 1.22 is just perfection https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006h4g/glastonbury-the-cure

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here