Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I've just watched the Fred Again set for the second time; what an unexpected treat. I was hoping to catch up on Lana Del Rey too but the full set doesn't seem to be on iPlayer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've just watched the Fred Again set for the second time; what an unexpected treat. I was hoping to catch up on Lana Del Rey too but the full set doesn't seem to be on iPlayer.
She got cut off early because she was really late on stage. Pretentious twunt

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I’m genuinely curious to know what people are looking for when describing a band as superb. Is that after making allowances?
I was thinking this yesterday. I would say that yes it is after making allowances. When you are dealing with artists who have been around awhile it's unreasonable to expect them to be as good as they were 20 or 30 years ago. Not going to lie, I enjoyed GnR on saturday night as they exceeded my very low expectations. For me they did not stink the place out and put a reasonably entertaining show with the bonus addition of Reckless Life in the set from the original EP to cheer me up. Axl (who is in his 60s) was not great but he was ok, he didn't ruin the show, so for me I don't think they could have done more.

As for Elton, f**k me, I was not expecting him to be as good as that. Not only an all killer no filler, but vocally I was stunned at how good that performance was. Chuck all the emotion surrounding the occasion itself and the content of some of the songs it was one of my favourite Glastonbury performances, and I wasn't even there!

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I think the Elton Performance is one for the ages personally. I've never been a fan persee - but i sat and knew pretty much every word of his songs and the show was flawless. Yes he can't hit the notes or movement he once could, but his voice was still very good.

Overall i thought the sound mix, for TV/Radio at least, was shocking across many of the live acts. We tried watching/listening to a few sets pre elton and most were unlistenable.

I do think that there were maybe a few too many old timers across the bill in general - Don't know if it's a sign of the times, but there does seem to be a few less established newer bands/acts in general that reach out to say 10 years ago.

Got to listen /watch a few more sets but stand outs for me were : Elton, FatBoy Slim, Loyle Carner, Fred Again, Loyle Carner, Lizzo - and the lewis capaldi moment was obviously touching poor lad.

I really wanna say Rick Astley and the Blossoms because i like them both, but something about the smiths just turns me off - I guess i preferred Rick to Morrisey tho!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What a festival I loved it and every single act

Highlights

Elton John
Slash

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Has anybody volunteered at Glastonbury just to get a ticket ? If so, what’s to stop them putting you on a late night ‘trance’ tent when everybody’s off their heads AND what stops you from just going to watch the whole festival once youve gone inside (obviously that thought had never crossed my mind 😬).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
AND what stops you from just going to watch the whole festival once youve gone inside (obviously that thought had never crossed my mind 😬).
You pay a deposit in advance (more than price of ticket, I believe). If you don't work your allotted shifts, you won't get it back - and you'll get blacklisted from volunteering or purchasing in future.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We watched some of on TV last night - thought The Pretenders, Sparks (still going strong in their 70s), and the Manics were superb.

Whereas most headliners at festivals naturally do a greatest hits set, the Manics bucked the trend by actually playing a couple of lesser-played tracks off The Holy Bible - just a pity that the cameras virtually ignored bassist Nicky Wire.
One or two lesser known tunes fine but if you play Glastonbury, or another festival, you are not just playing to your fans. So if you want to go down well, you have to bang out your best known material, especially if you're headlining. That's what Elton John understood and Alex Turner didn't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those who have never been, but monitor their daily steps...

The typical punter seems to have done around 130/140K steps from Wed to Sun. One guy says 188K.

And if you want to get an idea of the size of the site, go to https://gsp8181.co.uk/glasto/ and type in your postcode.

Wow, the size of Patcham and Hollingbury combined!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One or two lesser known tunes fine but if you play Glastonbury, or another festival, you are not just playing to your fans. So if you want to go down well, you have to bang out your best known material, especially if you're headlining. That's what Elton John understood and Alex Turner didn't.
Alex Turner understands it perfectly well. He played the set and performance he wanted to play. It wasn't an AM greatest hits, it was an AM this is us, take it or leave it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Alex Turner understands it perfectly well. He played the set and performance he wanted to play. It wasn't an AM greatest hits, it was an AM this is us, take it or leave it.
Probably didn't gain a single new fan. And I doubt they'll ever headline again.

But as long as he got something out of it...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Probably didn't gain a single new fan. And I doubt they'll ever headline again.

But as long as he got something out of it...
His ego will be fine. I'm sure their next album will get 5*s from every professional music journalist out there anyway, even if it consists of one of Turner's turds flattened into a disc and wedged into a record sleeve.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just watching some of It on BBC iPlayer. When did sitting on someone’s shoulders blocking people behinds view become acceptable? Would drive me up the wall.

At Download they would likely be smacked in the head from behind with a bottle of piss, and rightly so!!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20230626-154528~2.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here