[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
All this festival talk reminds me that some months ago a bunch of my compatriots produced the perfect festival anthem (and Manowar parody)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought the Arctic Monkeys and Alex Turner were very good. I really don't get all the hate

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think the Cure got it right. Played what they wanted to for the first half, short break and then wall to wall hits. Robert seemed to enjoy it a lot more than he expected.
Agreed, and I was on the rail for that! He seemed to absolutely love it (which is saying a lot for Mr Smith!).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought the Arctic Monkeys and Alex Turner were very good. I really don't get all the hate
I don't think it's hate, I thought it was a good set and performance, but I also get the view that the truly great 'Glastonbury' performances are an equal exchange of emotions between audience and performer.

Those memorable performances are the ones where that exchange really takes place. The one that really sticks out for me was Lionel Richie in 2015, I think he genuinely thought he was just coming out to a few thousand people sat around on a Sunday afternoon and was greeted with 100k people going nuts to his tunes - he was visibly bowled over by it and the crowd were delighted he was.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the Cure got it right. Played what they wanted to for the first half, short break and then wall to wall hits. Robert seemed to enjoy it a lot more than he expected.
As my note above, the really successful Glasto performances are those where the performer genuinely enjoys the moment. Crowd feel special, performer feels special, elevates the whole thing.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I don't think it's hate, I thought it was a good set and performance, but I also get the view that the truly great 'Glastonbury' performances are an equal exchange of emotions between audience and performer.

Those memorable performances are the ones where that exchange really takes place. The one that really sticks out for me was Lionel Richie in 2015, I think he genuinely thought he was just coming out to a few thousand people sat around on a Sunday afternoon and was greeted with 100k people going nuts to his tunes - he was visibly bowled over by it and the crowd were delighted he was.
Yep def not hate from me, just didn't like the perceived made it rock star arrogance that he seemed to portray combined with the complete disengagement from the crowd.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The only real measure is the reaction of the crowd on the hill. And they looked bored stiff.

Totally unfair to compare, but let's do it anyway.

THIS is how you f**king rock the Pyramid Stage. Sunday evening, 1999 (before headliners)...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The only real measure is the reaction of the crowd on the hill. And they looked bored stiff.

THIS is how you f**king rock the Pyramid Stage. Sunday evening, 1999 (before headliners)...

It certainly is, but isn't the average age of that audience about 25 years younger than the one they get at Glasto now? :)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Does seem better in the old days (did 8, my last was 2017) - much fewer massive flags and an active audience. Big crowds at the Pyramid recent years but so many giant flags and a stautesque crowd. (But that's me getting old I imagine).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

To be honest, through the 90s you’d do well to go anywhere there wasn’t a mosh pit, I expect there was a mosh pit in ‘97 to Karma Police! :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting reading this thread. I'm 66, so not really the Glasto market. But, even when I was younger, I didn't go (and it was pretty easy to get tickets then). I must say that I'd not heard of many of the bands mentioned (or not heard them) but I've enjoyed watching the highlights on BBC.

I really liked Christine and the Queens, so much so that I'm going to buy his album. I thought the Pretenders and Sparks played decent sets. Tinariwen were excellent (but they're probably the band that I knew the best, I have a few of their albums and seen them a couple of times). I was new to Arctic Monkeys and thought they were off-the-scale dull, quickly turning over. I loved seeing Cat Stevens again.

I know it's not an original thought but the knockout performer for me was Lizzo - what a set, what a stage presence. I only vaguely knew her before but I was knocked out ... and the bit of Zauberflöte in the middle was rather special. Why the hell wasn't she headlining?

It was good to recapture a bit of my youth for a while ... and without having to queue for overpriced beer or try to sleep in a tent.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

That crowd bouncing looks the part, no look at me types posing on people’s shoulders and hardly any flags.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That crowd bouncing looks the part, no look at me types posing on people’s shoulders and hardly any flags.
Or mobile phones, of course.

I was right at the front... but don't actually remember much about it. D'oh! Will have to ask friends!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I just hope they ban the flags next year. Awful experience for anyone not within 30 metres of the stage.
Funny you say that . . I was watching some super 8 footage of 1994, Paul Weller, I was there, apart from the fact some mates were camped half way up the current crowd back then, the most noticable thing was no flags.

I hope they're not quite as view sapping there as they appear on TV, and I don't like being a killjoy, but it must ruin the view for so many just because a few 'look at me' pinterest/instagram types can't help themselves.

If you want to make a statement, make and wear a tee shirt, then enee fule kno you is a cool kat . . . Or a twunt.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports